Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

act hdss or xtss for 500whp

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At first, I planned to get the ACT since it's cheaper than the Exedy. But once I heard some of my fellow evo owners having some LOCKOUT problems, I started to think that the Exedy is money well spent even if it costs more than the ACT.

Evo8you (of SoCalevo) got his twin for almost 2 years now and said it just gets better every time he races it. (Pedal feel is a bit stiffer than stock but it wasn't too bad when I tried on it)

Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lock out is easily resolved with clutch pedal adjustment. 10 seconds and it's done.

I'm personally going to be using the 6 puck sprung ACT clutch this year. And yes turbotrix did make a 9 second pass on an ACT single disk clutch.

Warrtalon is an ACT hater.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
lock out is easily resolved with clutch pedal adjustment. 10 seconds and it's done.

I'm personally going to be using the 6 puck sprung ACT clutch this year. And yes turbotrix did make a 9 second pass on an ACT single disk clutch.

Warrtalon is an ACT hater.
I guess the guy I talked to couldnt resolved the lockout problem so he bought a Exedy. He said no problems (yet) since he got it.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going with act...i'm 30 minutes away from their factory...they gave me really good customer service back when i used to have my boosted rsx.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow whoever is being quoted more than $450-500 to install a clutch on an evo is being ripped off or the shop has never installed one. Most evo specific or dsm shops for that matter can have them done in a couple of hours. If you only run 500whp every once in a while I think you will be fine with the ACT...its hard to say, some people get 10k out of the stocker and some people get 40k+ miles on the stocker with 350whp. Really depends on how you drive and how much you plan to race....
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

The ACT XTSS clutch kit isn't bad, but do beware, the clutch may cause grinding in certain gears as the friction plate begins to wear down. I'm living life alright so far with the clutch. It's definitely able to do work but it needs to be adjusted depending on the wear of the friction plate. So far it hasn't been giving me problems (at least after the adjustment). I'm going to try and rebuild it with a new friction disc and see how long it'll last me. It's harder to get used to thats for sure, but it does the job.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

yeah ill be running a 35r soon and im contemplating on witch clutch to get also, i was thinking the xtss or the 6 puck sprung, ill be running stock block so im only looking to put down almost 500whp...
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

ACT IS GARBAGE>... i burnt up a act hdss in 15k only taking it to the track twice... this was before 35r/meth...the ACT will hold fine.. but not as long as a twin will

have had a cusco twin since and NEVER had it slip or anything... holds great..

and if you drive your car on a daily basis haha stay AWAY from a tilton twin... i just got done building a IX with a built 2.0/jam head/35r.. that tilton makes a TON of noise and is terrible in traffic..
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

500+ Exedy twin disk, ACT has HARSH engagement.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

XTSS here for 6K on a 3076/IX Turbo & 3065. I definitely put it through its paces and didn't have any problems with it during the time I had the car. I didn't think that the engagement was that harsh. The only gripe I did have was that in daily bumper to bumper traffic for extended periods of time it could get pretty heavy.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have well over 500hp, im running the ACT xtreme PP w/ 6 puck sprung disk.. i love it
Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
ACT IS GARBAGE>... i burnt up a act hdss in 15k only taking it to the track twice... this was before 35r/meth...the ACT will hold fine.. but not as long as a twin will

have had a cusco twin since and NEVER had it slip or anything... holds great..

and if you drive your car on a daily basis haha stay AWAY from a tilton twin... i just got done building a IX with a built 2.0/jam head/35r.. that tilton makes a TON of noise and is terrible in traffic..

I guess all the rest of people that have ACT must just be having pure dumb luck with theirs ? Of course the clutch burning up in 15K would could not have anything to do with you or your driving style?

On one hand you say the ACT is garbage and on the next hand you say it'll hold fine....but not as long as the twin.

I'm pretty sure that the twin cost twice as much as the ACT. I'm also sure that comparing a single disc organic clutch with a twin cermatallic one is like a apples and apples comparison too right?
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I myself have the exedy stage 2 right now, I also did not want to spend the asking price for a twin... however, after doing some research and talking to turbotrix, seems like I should have gotten the act 6-puck to handle the extra power I want to add... they have some employees and customers running the 6 with some larger turbos, according to them there are no lockout issues with the 6 puck. Dealing with bumper to bumper traffic sucks with anything I've seen so far high performance, so I'm not going to really worry about that so much, just my .02
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

I had the 6 puck XT and thought it was great... only lasted a season . . . maybe 200 launches. Also finally busted the diff
Old Mar 23, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

OK. I need to say this.

I have the ACT HDSS w/ Prolite flywheel, basic power mods to the car.

As far as rough engagement; I just taught two 16 year old kids how to drive stick on this clutch, and they had it down in about an hour. Its easy to drive, I brought the engagement back far away from the face, no problems yet in 10k, especially not with engagement being too harsh. Maybe some other ACT's are harsh?? Mine has not been at all.

Quick Reply: act hdss or xtss for 500whp