Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Big Problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Big Problem

Ok so I am driving to the gym this morning anf my car just starts smoking from the exhaust and coming out of the hood vent. So I immediatly turn t he engine off and coast to the side of the road:

Pop the hood and check the oil level-fine
Check the oil pressure-fine

I have no idea whats going on...

The smoke smelled like something was burning and was a white/grey color. The coolant level is normal, and the car was warmed up completly before I started it...

Please help me diagnose whats going on...

I am about to pull the intake to see if the turbo is seized....BR3065

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2007, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

The weird thing is that I heard a hissing sound coming from the motor when I was looking around (right after I shut it off) and so I pulled the dip stick out and a lot of pressured air released ....
Old Feb 5, 2007, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

The car also does not idle at all...unless you keep the RPMs up
Old Feb 5, 2007, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, so I think it has something to do with the crankcase...

Reason being because I pulled my intake off anf there is oil sitting at the bottom of it. (I have no vaccume feed going from my manifold to the intake)

Also the whole pressure being released from the dipstick when I pulled it out...
Old Feb 5, 2007, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pressure at the dipstick hopefully it just a faulty pvc valve not reliving the crankcase pressure what about the other one that goes to the air intake tube it really sounds like a broken piston ring groove or a melted piston but lets hope not It's just these are the things that cause crankcase pressure build up
good luck
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

I could also be a dragged piston you may have to do a compression test to find which cylinder it is was the engine recently built and or tuned.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Check all ur intake and intercooling piping....I had something like that happen....Thought the worse blown motor...ect.....Ended up being intake bracket came off....So check all pipes in and out....
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have any play in the turbo shaft. this sounds similar to a situation we faced when we froze a turbo on the rally car.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tuning g
I could also be a dragged piston you may have to do a compression test to find which cylinder it is was the engine recently built and or tuned.
The motor is stock besides cams and headstuds. The car has been running fine. And I have not been on the car at all in a week since my alcohol container is at smc being rebuilt...
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Greg K
do you have any play in the turbo shaft. this sounds similar to a situation we faced when we froze a turbo on the rally car.
The turbo spins/rotates normally. I have not check to see if there was forward to back "play" yet...

I have a heater in my garage right now to warm it up as its damn cold where I live....4 degrees
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OtownEvo
Check all ur intake and intercooling piping....I had something like that happen....Thought the worse blown motor...ect.....Ended up being intake bracket came off....So check all pipes in and out....
I have had this happen before too on my dsm...but I dont think there would be oil getting past the manifold into the intake and exhaust..I will check though..
Old Feb 5, 2007, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

possibly need a catch can?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by geardog75
possibly need a catch can?
Well I have the rre catch can with the pcv delete....so thats not my problem However, maybe the pcv delete may be causing an issue?

I have already removed the catch can, as it was worthless anyway, and am putting the stock pcv valve back in. I have to go to work now, so I wont be able to work on it again until 9 tonight....awsome.

this is weird...

It was fine when I started it, warmed up (10 min) then drove about 3 miles and then just started smoking from the exhaust...which I now know was oil being burnt in the exhaust...

So what causes oil to get squirted past the intake manifold? The head is not leaking, and there are no other leaks under the car. Radiator overflow is at its normal level...
Old Feb 5, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I will be doing a compression test tonight along with installing the stock pcv valve back on and routing it back to the intake manifold.

I believe people usually see 175 accross the board for compression tests if I remember correctly..

I checked the IC pipes and all are tight with no leaks (wo7uldnt be smoking this bad but thought I would just double check)

Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be alot of things. Is it constant smoke once it starts? At idle, part throttle, full throttle? Once it starts does it ever go away at idle, part, or full throttle?

Quick Reply: Big Problem