Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

gt35r vs. 50trim (debate!)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if u have the IX, try Stock turbo with alky, all u need is to buy the alky kit and a tune. If u still want more power, then u can start looking into a turbo upgrade.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

50 trim FTW
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

There is no need for another thread or debate to discuss this topic, because this topic has been discussed many, many times. Both turbo set ups have pluses and minuses and it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for peak HP, and plan to run very high boost, race gas, and mostly use your car for drag racing or highway racing then the GT35R is a better turbo for you. The GT35R (or bigger) in my opinion is the best turbo for the guy with two or three other cars, constantly running race gas, trying to hit 10s, and drives his or her EVO once in awhile.

The 50trim will not match the GT35R is peak HP, if you build your GT35R setup correctly, but is a more streetable turbo setup. Meaning if you drive day to day, often use pump gas, and sometimes track your car then the 50trim is the better turbo setup. Not that the GT35R isn't capable, it just seems like a waist if the latter is what you intend to do with your car. You'll make similiar power to a 50trim and have more lag. Is lag overrated, possibly, but why make 450whp on pump gas/meth on a GT35R when you can make 450whp on a 50trim pump gas/meth and have a quicker spooling and more streetable turbo.

When the EVO first came to the USA, there weren't as many turbo upgrade options out as there are now, and the GT35R was pretty much your best option, but welcome to 2007 and there are many turbo options meant for the day to day EVO driver. Also the 20G-LT is a turbo to look into. So like I said, it all depends on what you are looking for, and you can easily answer this question yourself.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

You really need to listen to these guys they know what they are talking about.... You need to also really think about 500whp that is a @55 load to have.... If you think you will not have to touch the block then you are way mistaken, to run the amount of boost to make the turbo perform at peak you will need to make your "internals" stronger. Also consider every penny it adds up very quick. It is not hard to get past the 10-15 thousand dollar mark. Keep in mind what has been said for other mods such as tranny upgrade, clutch ( a must), cams, studs etc... But either way put alot of thought into it and make sure you making the right decision so you have no regrets. Good luck.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

I plan to go with a smaller turbo option, like a BR3065 or even a 20G-LT, because I know as of now, I drive my EVO day to day, and I am looking for a more streetable, 400-450whp turbo setup to drive day to day. Once my income rises (that is why I am going to school) I plan to buy a second car, and my EVO will become my project, and will upgrade to a bigger turbo with more potential.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:03 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I had a little GT30, the 3071. It was brutal on race gas, but like Ultimate CC said, these bigger turbos are a little too laggy. The GT3076 is great for drag racing, but would be almost useless for autocrossing. You can go faster with less total whp using a 16G since the area under the curve is so much better.

To me, methanol is crappy on a big turbo. Its efficiency is great on a stock turbo where its cooling properties help (like when you're spinning the 16G beyond what you should). Still, I'd rather run E85, since it would do the same thing with cooling. I like the idea of just using one fuel in the main tank with stable delivery and no chance of running out.

With a big turbo, race gas will make every bit the power meth will. We've proven it time and again on the dyno.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Lightbulb

This is honestly a hard decision 50trim or GT35r I was trying to make this decision just the other day as i wanted to change my GT3076r (has some shaft-play)

My experience, I currently have a GT30r RnR kit and this hauls ***, on pump & meth i'm just shy of 400whp and making 348 lbs torque @24psi...it pulls crazy But I think GT30r's are overrated and the BB 50 trim is a better turbo (wasn't available when I got my GT30r) from the results i've seen.

I haven't drag my car so no time slips but I do cough*cough "road-race" and believe me I've race a few stock turbo Evo's and they can't keep up with me after 2nd gear it's all over for that stock turbo. (none of these stock turbo cars are running more than 24psi tho..to my knowledge).

Well I just ordered my GT35r...why...because I want big power 550+ whp and no stock turbo is gonna give me that!! and i have decided to do some drag racing this year @ the track...I will need this to pull the 10's FYI: My friend is making 440whp & 360 lb tq @ 20 psi on pump 90 octane here (dynoed last night) and 550whp @29 psi running some 10.5:1 AFR's 'too rich' for race gas.

So after this long post...if you want 10's go with the GT35r & if it's pure road fun a BB 50trim with meth running 25psi daily (you won't b disappointed)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

ATP 3037s for me.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

if your looking for 500whp .. in my opinion your best bet would be the gt35r ... the only guys who hit 500whp on a 50trim and have a few other key mods mods like an intake manifold, and standalone, etc ... soo just something to think about..

*but once again... it comes down to how the dyno your on reads the power.

however with a gt35r 550whp is a pretty common number on evos with just a standalone... plus lag is overrated =P

something to think about i guess
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo Girlie
I agree, once you have all that power you will want to enjoy it not baby it.
I use the power when I need it.... trust me when you use the power, you'll love it but enjoy it responsibly....
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

dude just get the 50 trim and meth. you block will last longer and there is less turbo lag. Once the need for a new block is needed put a 2.3 in there and just purchace a 35r turbo (and stand alone if not already) then sell your 50 trim. By all means dont looke past the pump and meth king! (50 trim)
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRevolutionRed
35r w/alky
screw the power band....the 35r has a much farther power range....dont limit yourself with the turbo.....if your not in power, DROP A GEAR!!!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 08:57 AM
EDL
Evolving Member

well I dont want to build the motor yet, so I think I'll go with a smaller turbo first now which one (50 trim or gt3076) I know what the differences are but I just one opinions
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

It's definitely a decision for you to make.

But in all honesty, I wonder how many of the people preaching the 35r are actually driving one.

A graphic example: look at the AMS turbo kit group buy.

Theyre offering the 1st 10 turbos spoken for at the group buy rate, your choice of which kit. 9 of the people have signed up for 50trims. The last is unspoken for.

No one has signed up for a 35r yet.

For the average person a 35r is overkill. I have a 50trim and its plenty for the street for me so far. A stock IX turbo on meth is a great setup as well. But if you don't have the money for the supporting mods, a 35r probably isn't the turbo for you.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly if you want the big power for Street racing or any other kind of drag racing lag shouldnt be a question. If you know how to drive the car, lag wont be a issue and if you race from rolls you can have 0 lag.

Everyone is saying how the 50trim has more under the curve power and quicker boost.. But if you have a 50trim and put down 460 with meth, other car has a 35r putting down 500 on meth. If you go from a dig the 35r will smoke u and if you go from a roll forget about it.

EDL some people will say you running a 35r on stock block is crazy, while others will say you should be fine. To be honest its all about the tune, if you get a good tune you should be fine for awhile on the stock block. A 50 trim has just as much of a chance of blowing the block as a 35r. If your running race gas then yes something will probly give out. But if your going the pump gas meth rout go with the 35r.

Quick Reply: gt35r vs. 50trim (debate!)