Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Possibly Clutch/Syncro Problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly Clutch/Syncro Problem

Novice owner to Evo's and novice owner to a manual transmission as well.

I noticed when it is cold outside, and I am rolling to a stop(usually I put the clutch in and start to roll at about 20-25 mph), I tend to put the car in first with the clutch in to prepare for taking off when the light turns green. I don't actually let the clutch out to engage first, I just set it there and wait at the light holding the car in gear with the clutch in and the brakes on.

What I noticed is when it is cold and I do this, sometimes first doesn't want to go in, it sort of grinds/shakes for a second and I pull it back out and put it back in. I think the clutch is disengaged fully... and it only happens every now and then when the car is still pretty cold.

How do I know if the clutch isn't disengaged fully? Also it seems that sometimes when shifting when cold the gears are rough going in; hard to explain... not that they won't go into gear or it's HARD to do, it's just they sort of "clunk" into gear, sort of notchy I guess. This happens for first and sometimes second... first when I'm doing the same thing as described above. Nothing bad happens after that when I let the clutch out, everything is rather smooth and what not. Usually feels "notchy" or "clunky" when I'm downshifting (to 2nd).. or when the car is cold and I'm shifting at 2500 when I get out of my driveway...

Other than those times it shifts smooth as butter with no hesitation... and when I'm going slow 1st doesn't do it at all, coasting, or whatever.

Does any of this sound normal and I'm just not used to manual yet? Or is something going wrong here?

The car has 20,000 miles so it's well past break in.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im new at this lol, but im pretty sure you dont want to throw the car into 1st while its rolling at all unless its extremely slow. when you are rolling with your clutch in and not in neutral its not the greatest thing for your car either. It not going into first when you explained is the cars way of saying, hey stupid, stop ! lol
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
im new at this lol, but im pretty sure you dont want to throw the car into 1st while its rolling at all unless its extremely slow. when you are rolling with your clutch in and not in neutral its not the greatest thing for your car either. It not going into first when you explained is the cars way of saying, hey stupid, stop ! lol
I was hoping that was the case.. I'm just making sure.

And I'm guessing the notchy feeling is just the cold.

Also I DID adjust the clutch slightly to have it engage a tad bit lower. Nothing insane and not enough IMO to hinder engagement/disengagement as everything seems fine.

Oh and I can say I DO NOT do this frequently, just occasionally to see why it was doing it. I guess I should simply just stop, eh?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20-25 mph is way too fast to be putting it back in first when its in neutral or in any of the other gears. First gear fights you for a reason. Put it in second unless your at a dead stop or rolling around 5 mph. A rule of thumb is never downshift into first in any car.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
20-25 mph is way too fast to be putting it back in first when its in neutral or in any of the other gears. First gear fights you for a reason. Put it in second unless your at a dead stop or rolling around 5 mph. A rule of thumb is never downshift into first in any car.
See I don't DOWNSHIFT per say, as in let the car actually GO into 1st gear, I just place it in first gear with the clutch still in. It never actually is engaged in first, it's just rolling to a stop with the *shifter* in first, the transmission is still in a neutral state due to the clutch being in, unless you mean that as well...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

yes... he means that... dont do that. its bad on your clutch to sit there and hold it in with it in gear... down shift into second, rev match and let the car stop you, hit neutral and relax. wait for the light then put it in first and go about your business.... if you are still rolling to a stop by the time the light changes, put it in second and continue on
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Does the hesitation or small grind when going into 1st/2nd a problem or just because it's cold and I shouldn't be jamming it into gear? It doesn't grind throughout ...the shifter just shudders and gets stuck and must be backed out. It's really only when it's cold going into 1st when I would try to put it in first and roll to the light.. which apparently I know now is bad... so that makes sense.
But going into 2nd sometimes it needs a little bit of a nudge to go in and feels sort of notchy. This is all when the car is cold.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

here is a great question... what trans fluid are you running ?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

OEM transmission fluid; 20,000 miles.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

probably a good time to change it... probably about 10k miles ago lol as a matter of fact, its time to change all of your fluids. redline mt-90 or BG synchro for the tranny has been recommended to me by a few of the rebuild guys, and then oem fluid for the rest although ams recommended that i run redline in my tcase and diff as well
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:50 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
there is nothing wrong with the oem transmission fluid. when the engine is cold, so is the transmission. downshift at this temp is downright foolish. that is why you notice the notchy shifting which is only possible when the engine and tranny has reached operating temperature. my thoughts, that is normal. no worries.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
there is nothing wrong with the oem transmission fluid. when the engine is cold, so is the transmission. downshift at this temp is downright foolish. that is why you notice the notchy shifting which is only possible when the engine and tranny has reached operating temperature. my thoughts, that is normal. no worries.
didnt say the shifting issue is because of bad fluid, im saying he has 20000 miles on the stock fluid which is quite a lot to not have done a change yet regardless if he puts back in oem fluids or not. I merely suggested other fluids he can buy in exchange of the stock fluids, but whatever the choice is, a fluid change in my opinion is needed simply do to mileage
Old Feb 8, 2007, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

didnt say the shifting issue is because of bad fluid, im saying he has 20000 miles on the stock fluid which is quite a lot to not have done a change yet regardless if he puts back in oem fluids or not. I merely suggested other fluids he can buy in exchange of the stock fluids, but whatever the choice is, a fluid change in my opinion is needed simply do to mileage
It's not the STOCK fluid that it rolled off the lot with. It's just OEM fluid.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

then what is the 20000 miles ? how much on that fluid ?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

then what is the 20000 miles ? how much on that fluid ?
Who knows, but I know it's been changed before.

I will probably change it for some MT-90 when I change my oil next week.