Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Finally, wicked affordable camshafts....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any plans to make some IX cams?

or possibly copy the cosworth, make a couple changes and sell them cheaper =-)

Last edited by 4WS Tuning; Feb 8, 2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec9
Nitrotiger, David used Cosworths in my latest build.
how do you know if u put the gsc s2 or s3 you wont make more power?

theres no way to really test it unless its done back to back on 2 cars

one tuned for cosworth then gsc dropped in to see if it gains or lose's

one tuned for gsc then drop the cosworth in to see if it gains or lose's

if the cosworth gain in gsc tune car and the gsc cams lose power in the cosworth tuned car then youll know which 1 is better. but then again is some1 gonna waste their time comparing cosworth to 3 different gsc cams lol doubt it, the people that actually care are the people with exactly 600$ in their pockets. and whether they work or not they have to stick with them cause if they sell them and get 400 theyre not gonna waste another 200$ on antoher gamble

cheers!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAVE:

Where was the additional power made (rpm range)?

What about torque figures?

What rpm do we have to rev to, or can we remain within the stock Redline?

Where there any power or torque losses down low?

Can we see a dyno graph of before & after to see the powerband of your cams? On the cars that you've tested.

These sound real interesting..eager to kno more!!!!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

to say "set them at 0 and call it a day" can't be ideal, can it? I mean, a stump pulling 2.3l stroker vs. a high rev'ing 2.0 l screamer with all other things being equal, is going to want different cam settings, no? A car used for 1/4 mile vs. a road course car will want different cam settings, no?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
From page two. I HAD THESE CAMS GROUND CUSTOM.
David if u had read my post carefully u would have seen that i said "now if these cams are somehow developed for u and or by u,or there is some other unknown reason for not releasing this information, then this post does not apply and i am sorry for wasting your time reading this."
Old Feb 9, 2007, 06:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8_PR
David, for those of us who have upgraded springs and retainers already such as crower, or any other single spring/ retainer design, what problems could we confront with your cams?
Electric Blue Evo 12.2 @ 113mph
One problem you will have is not enough turbo for these cams:

David Buschur: "With that said......these camshafts do not work well with the stock turbo, 20g's, WR's, Greens or any other small turbo."

FYI
Old Feb 9, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
how do you know if u put the gsc s2 or s3 you wont make more power?

theres no way to really test it unless its done back to back on 2 cars

one tuned for cosworth then gsc dropped in to see if it gains or lose's

one tuned for gsc then drop the cosworth in to see if it gains or lose's

if the cosworth gain in gsc tune car and the gsc cams lose power in the cosworth tuned car then youll know which 1 is better. but then again is some1 gonna waste their time comparing cosworth to 3 different gsc cams lol doubt it, the people that actually care are the people with exactly 600$ in their pockets. and whether they work or not they have to stick with them cause if they sell them and get 400 theyre not gonna waste another 200$ on antoher gamble

cheers!
The nature of cams in general makes this impossible.

If you changed just one part that had any significant impact on intake or exhaust flow, you would have to completely re-test everything to see how each set of cams reacted to the change. Anything that impacted the speed or density of the incoming air charge or outgoing exhaust flow would interact with the cams.

So, if you want to know which cams are better, you'd need to be a bit more thorough with your testing.

You would basically need 5 cars each with 10 different combinations of parts for each car. Then you test each car and each combination with 3 different cams. That's 150 tests. If you do 3 dyno pulls per test, you would have done 450 dyno pulls. Then you will see if one cam consistently makes more power than another. And even with that, I promise there will be some combinations that will make more power on the cam that loses the test. It should only take about a month and cost $250,000.00. Be careful changing all those cams. I'd hate to see you strip out a jornal bolt and have to buy a new head and start all over again.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
[QUOTE=EvO6-RS2;3954378]DAVE:

Where was the additional power made (rpm range)?

**The power was higher throughout the RPM band on each car we installed them in with a turbo sized GT30 or larger.

What about torque figures?

**Torque increased equally, about 40 ft lbs and 40 whp is the least we have seen for gains on both.

What rpm do we have to rev to, or can we remain within the stock Redline?

**Yes, stock redline will still show an increase.

Where there any power or torque losses down low?

**No.

Can we see a dyno graph of before & after to see the powerband of your cams? On the cars that you've tested.

**Yes, I can do that eventually. Right now I am deciding whether or not I am going to just lock this thread and post all this on our site........

I am sure you have built turbo combinations that make more than our 1,000+ hp EVO. Now do it with a 2 liter, not that I care.

You are also ASSuming too many things. First off MOST EVO heads that come through here do not require milling. Second if they do it is a very slight clean up of the head, MAYBE .010, which will have no effect on the timing marks. Also, Jarrod's car has these cams in it, the head is BONE STOCK NO PORT WORK WHAT-SO-EVER.

Thanks for playing along with "The Actual Facts" we'll be back next week again at 12 pm EST, tune in then when David Buschur states, "I am pompus but I sure am fast."
Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

LOL...Dave you crack me up. I understand your frustration though, some people on this board have nothing better to do than talk smack when they have no clue or experience in the matters.

My question is, you stated GT30 or bigger...does this also apply to 50-trims?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jbrown
The nature of cams in general makes this impossible.

If you changed just one part that had any significant impact on intake or exhaust flow, you would have to completely re-test everything to see how each set of cams reacted to the change. Anything that impacted the speed or density of the incoming air charge or outgoing exhaust flow would interact with the cams.

So, if you want to know which cams are better, you'd need to be a bit more thorough with your testing.

You would basically need 5 cars each with 10 different combinations of parts for each car. Then you test each car and each combination with 3 different cams. That's 150 tests. If you do 3 dyno pulls per test, you would have done 450 dyno pulls. Then you will see if one cam consistently makes more power than another. And even with that, I promise there will be some combinations that will make more power on the cam that loses the test. It should only take about a month and cost $250,000.00. Be careful changing all those cams. I'd hate to see you strip out a jornal bolt and have to buy a new head and start all over again.

lol a little more in depth than mine... but ya... i cant decied if im ever going to change the turbo. thats my biggest problem. if i plan to stick with the stocker than ill go with the gsc s1 since they have yet to show bad results, but if i end up changing the turbo i can go with cosworth and ill be okay with the stocker and okay with any upgrade.

cheers!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Dave,

You said that the cams did not do well with the smaller turbos, does that mean they actually lost power compared to HKS or revolver cams, or they just didn't provide enough gains to justify the aggressiveness of the cam? I'm asking because of the situation where someone may be upgrading the cams while they still have a smaller turbo but are planning to upgrade their turbo in the future. Would you recommend buying cams twice or would these cams still provide an increase in power over stock comparable to that of HKS or revolver cams.

Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:08 AM

Thanks for playing along with "The Actual Facts" we'll be back next week again at 12 pm EST, tune in then when David Buschur states, "I am pompus but I sure am fast."
Funniest thing I've read in a week.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks...DAVE!!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
You are also ASSuming too many things. First off MOST EVO heads that come through here do not require milling. Second if they do it is a very slight clean up of the head, MAYBE .010, which will have no effect on the timing marks. Also, Jarrod's car has these cams in it, the head is BONE STOCK NO PORT WORK WHAT-SO-EVER.

I completely understand now. Where I messed up was that I didn't realize you were the fastest and smartest person on this forum when it comes to EVO's. I also didn't realize that if it worked on your brother's car then that is proof enough. I feel so stupid now. I am still in the learning phase here so you must forgive my ignorance. Keep up the good strong technical development work.

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Feb 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fullboost
Funniest thing I've read in a week.
I had to call my doctor because I laughed so hard.

Quick Reply: Finally, wicked affordable camshafts....