Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Finally, wicked affordable camshafts....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally, wicked affordable camshafts....

Alright, I let the word out a month or so ago during some other testing we were doing that we had a cam we were working on having made that was extremely good.

I didn't go into a ton of detail because at the time I wasn't ready to release all the information.

He is the basics of the story.

As most of you know we were using and promoting the Revolver camshafts. They worked very well on the cars we tested them on. Made great low end torqu and power up top. We installed them in our Drag EVO and ran 8.95 at 164 mph on a custom set they sent us.

Well the supply of those cams basically fell off the face of the earth and we haven't see a set of cams in atleast 8 months.

I was very content with my RS as most of you know. It had run 10.88 at 128 on the Green turbo and the Revolver cams. If you go back and take a look in the forums you will find that I changed from the Green to the GT35R. I was very very unhappy with the car. The largest reason I was pissed off, whether or not I posted it, was the power sucked. I was stuck at making 490 whp with the car with the GT35R.

This put me on a rampage to try some new ideas and some new camshafts. I ordered in some cams to test and some other things.

The outcome of the cam testing was very impressive as we found a lot of extra power. My car instantly went to 542 whp and ran out of fuel pump and injector. The car ran 9.97 at 142.32 mph. After more work we tried something different and put a set of cams in my brothers car and took his from 570'ish whp to 642 whp. We were onto something.

We put together the best of what we could find and had a custom cam ground. We now have these cams to sell and instock at the shop, $575 per set.

Specs of the cams are not going to be discussed or advertised. They will come in plain boxes with no cam card. The name of the cams are BF272's. I recommend (of course I do) installing them on stock cam gears and installing them set at 0.

The idle quality is actually better than the Revolvers. These cams absolutely need the best spring and retainer kit available. There are two sets that will work, we carry them both. I do not recommend running them with a reflashed ECU, I don't think they will idle very good.

As of right now I don't think you will find a camshaft that will make more power than these on a bigger turbo'd 4G63.

With that said......these camshafts do not work well with the stock turbo, 20g's, WR's, Greens or any other small turbo.

The smallest turbo I'd recommend installing these camshafts with is a GT30 style turbo.

I recently tried a set of these with the EVO Green and the turbo did not like the cams. A test was also done a awhile ago on another Green turbo'd EVO and that car didn't work very well with them either.

For the smaller turbo'd cars right now I suggest either finding a set of used Revolvers or the HKS 280's. If you want good idle quality with a reflashed ECU then look for HKS 272's or smaller.

There are a LOT of GT30 and GT35 or larger turbo equipped EVO's out there that would greatly benefit from a cam change.

If you already have a cam that you feel is good please ask before ordering if we suggest you swap them out. I won't sell this to you if it isn't going to increase you power like it did ours. A minimum of a 40whp gain has been made on every single GT30 or larger turbo'd EVO we have tested them on.

Actually I will save myself and you guys some hassle. IF you already own Tomei 280's or Jun 272's you do not need to upgrade your cams. Those are two other cams that we have tested on the larger turbo'd cars and have found them to be exceptional.

Thanks for reading,
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you guys gonna designs cams for the evo 9 ?, and nice power gains
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Always good to see you finding and sharing what works best for the community
Old Feb 7, 2007, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo542
are you guys gonna designs cams for the evo 9 ?, and nice power gains
+1 on answering this
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Good stuff, Dave! Once I get my 35R kit squared away, I may have to get rid of my HKS for a set of these
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo ix?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

not to ask a dumb question dave but you say the revolver cams work great with stock turbo evo's. now how do you feel jun 264's would be?. around the same?? or how about the jun 272? or is that like you said above since there almost like your cams then not good for anything under a 30r
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Can't wait to see what these cams will do in my car Dave. You totally threw me a curveball when you said you had better cams and cheaper than a used set of $800 Revolvers I was looking into. You saved me a few hundred that I can spend at your shop.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Just a question, you stated that tomei 280's and jun 272's are pretty much equal to these camshafts, however, I was under the impression that the revolvers were slightly larger than the jun's. Just wondering. And I want to know the profiles on these beasts, but I can understand not releasing them.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

LoL! Yup yup
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

How much extra are either of the spring and retainer sets and whose do you carry?

Scorke
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

the 9 gets no cam love but what about the cosworth cams for the 9. i know a vender in here swears by them. Any one here have them. If so how do you like them
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'm using them(cosworths).....until David comes up with something better.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 9sec9
I'm using them(cosworths).....until David comes up with something better.
your car is far from stock nice # numbers though. i have stages 1-4 on my 9 and my tuner is saying get the cosworth cams he has nothing but good things to say about them
Old Feb 7, 2007, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

ill have to add this to my list for my next power step...

Im sure my car will pickup huge gains...

Quick Reply: Finally, wicked affordable camshafts....