Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur HFC?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007 | 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I had a Buschur cat and swapped in a 3" Random cat. Car got louder and felt faster. Can't say that SOTP is definitive by any means, but this test of a stock cat vs. a 3" Catco cat vs. a TWO AND A HALF INCH Random cat backs up what I felt SOTP:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...&highlight=cat
That thread is over three years old, so there's no telling how much resemblance there is between the cats they tested and what's available today. And I don't see much difference between the Catco and Random results, and the graph doesn't even say which line is which cat/pipe.
Old Feb 8, 2007 | 06:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by TurboIX
simple question-

IS the BUSCHUR HFC the same as this "Catco" I've been hearing about? If so then I guess You have some customer complaints right here on this page lol...
I'm not complaining. The Random costs a lot more and is a superior metal substrate design. It should be better and it cost more accordingly.
Old Feb 8, 2007 | 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

I just want to know if Buschur HFC is the same as Catco...

No offense to anyone here but when I did my search on Buschur i read nothing but good reviews. However I never did a search for their HFC untill now...It's limited but so far not so good( assuming it's the same as catco).
Old Feb 8, 2007 | 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurboIX
I just want to know if Buschur HFC is the same as Catco...
It's not "the same as Catco", it is a Catco, complete with the Catco brand. If you go to buschurracing.com, find the cat, and click on the small picture, you'll see "Catco" plain as day.

No offense to anyone here but when I did my search on Buschur i read nothing but good reviews. However I never did a search for their HFC untill now...It's limited but so far not so good( assuming it's the same as catco).
I think it's a decent cat, reasonably priced. Are there better cats? Sure. All of the Catco cats have ceramic substrates, which are inherently more brittle and restrictive than metal substrates. If you have to have the best cat available, resell your Buschur/Catco and buy one of the better ones. You won't find one that'll drop into your Buschur TBE, though. You'll have to have some fabrication (flange and pipe) done.
Old Feb 8, 2007 | 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Dont do the HFC! Why? I mean why not run a test pipe? I dont know. Maybe I am just spoiled in my state...
Old Feb 8, 2007 | 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TURBevO8
Dont do the HFC! Why?
Some reasons to run a cat:
  • Noise reduction
  • Federal Clean Air Act compliance
  • State emissions testing/regulatory compliance
  • SCCA Street Touring class requirements
  • Not wanting to deal with CELs/CEL fixes
  • Not wanting to pollute unnecessarily
I mean why not run a test pipe? I dont know. Maybe I am just spoiled in my state...
You state (and my state) may not test emissions, but the law still requires a cat. Strictly speaking, the law doesn't allow you to replace the stock cat with anything else.
Old Feb 8, 2007 | 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slowride
It's not "the same as Catco", it is a Catco, complete with the Catco brand. If you go to buschurracing.com, find the cat, and click on the small picture, you'll see "Catco" plain as day.

I think it's a decent cat, reasonably priced. Are there better cats? Sure. All of the Catco cats have ceramic substrates, which are inherently more brittle and restrictive than metal substrates. If you have to have the best cat available, resell your Buschur/Catco and buy one of the better ones. You won't find one that'll drop into your Buschur TBE, though. You'll have to have some fabrication (flange and pipe) done.
Thanks for the info