Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"Hairdryer effect" and aftermarket FMIC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Hairdryer effect" and aftermarket FMIC

Question:

We know that if we operate an Evo IX turbo at over 26psi, lets say closer to 30psi, it operates outside its efficiency range, thus blowing hotter air...

if we installed an aftermarket FMIC with better cooling capacity, could it help to lessen the "hairdryer" effect of the out-of-map turbo?

Any views on this subject...???
Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

nobody wants to comment on this? is this sooo technical?

personally i believe that an "overworked" turbocharger with benefit with the higher cooling capacity of an aftermarket intercooler...
Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

whats an intercooler??? Do you have a link?? Will it make the pissst sound?
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

no it makes the brrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppp sound...i think. thats what they said over there at NASIOC... j/k
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by kouzman
Question:

We know that if we operate an Evo IX turbo at over 26psi, lets say closer to 30psi, it operates outside its efficiency range, thus blowing hotter air...

if we installed an aftermarket FMIC with better cooling capacity, could it help to lessen the "hairdryer" effect of the out-of-map turbo?

you answered your own question. doesnt matter if you have a better intercooler or not. the turbo will STILL be operating outside of its efficiency range. it will work for a short period and your turbo will go poof..
Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A larger IC with better cooling will make up for the extra heat that is generated. But it is not a proper fix. The best thing is to get a larger turbo that is efficent in the range you want to use.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbfoco
whats an intercooler??? Do you have a link?? Will it make the pissst sound?

sometimes your humor is overwelming... what can i say...

of course i know that the turbo works out of its efficiency range when you push it over 26psi...

the point is to hear other views and experiences on this matter and if people really saw difference on that "fix"...

I am pretty sure you can find other threads to joke around...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:23 AM

Yes it will offset any intake air temperature increase with a better FMIC, but the turbo life will be decreased, spinning a stock turbo at like 75,000 rpm is not conducive to longevity...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kouzman
Question:

How do you know what the efficiency range is on a IX turbo? I have yet to see any testing on the IX that would determine its range. There are several folks running IXs (turbos) with Meth or race gas at 28 - 30 psi peak...I would LOVE to see efficiency data on the turbos as it would help me determine my next step...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:57 AM

You can find the efficiency charts for many turbos just go google them.

http://www.stealth316.com/images/td05h-16gsmall-cfm.gif

http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm

awwww heck, you can figure the rest out yourself...

Last edited by hexadec0079; Feb 14, 2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:17 PM
UCB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
How do you know what the efficiency range is on a IX turbo? I have yet to see any testing on the IX that would determine its range. There are several folks running IXs (turbos) with Meth or race gas at 28 - 30 psi peak...I would LOVE to see efficiency data on the turbos as it would help me determine my next step...
look at any dyno curve...**** at even 23-24psi when you start seeing massive boost taper, that tells you that the turbo is waning out of its efficiency range

Its safe to say at 26psi its well out of its range

A larger FMIC will help with power gains by offsetting the higher output temps from the turbo, but ultimately you are still pushing it to its limits, and thus ultimately decreasing its life.

Coating the turbo or using a water jacket on it is more in the lines of helping it stay within its efficiency range

But there is definitely a limit on its power output..a local 9 here showed exactly that. From 23-27+psi he made the same peak power (was still tapering to the same amount of boost at redline), the only difference you saw was in the torque curve
Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hexadec0079
You can find the efficiency charts for many turbos just go google them.

http://www.stealth316.com/images/td05h-16gsmall-cfm.gif

http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm

awwww heck, you can figure the rest out yourself...
Awwwww thanks ....I like Google too, but last time I checked nobody had tested a stock IX turbo....If I am mistaken, please direct me to the site. Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hexadec0079
Yes it will offset any intake air temperature increase with a better FMIC, but the turbo life will be decreased, spinning a stock turbo at like 75,000 rpm is not conducive to longevity...

Not trying to be a smart *** but accoriding to the stock turbo spins at 150k rpms
Old Feb 14, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

well definitely pushing the stock turbo upwards 23-24psi will shorten its life, but this is not the case...

The thing that i am trying to openly discuss is the need for an aftermarket intercooler and the benefits it has, especially to people who use higher boost levels than the factory...

I think than even the 23psi that MANY of the Evo owners in this forum use, pushes the stock turbo and of course as the boost pressure increases, the efficiency of the turbo decreases, by blowing hotter air which is less dense thus not making more power... In this very realistic scenario, the aftermarket intercooler will definitely help...

I am positive that everyone agrees that temprature control on a turbocharged car, equals to more power and longetivity...
Old Feb 14, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well the purpose of the intercooler is to cool off the "hot" air coming out of the turbo..thus increasing the efficiency of the combustion...it does not cool off the turbo. the turbo is cooled by oil and water that is run though the CHRA (center housing and rotating assembly). the "Hair Dryer" by a turbo is the by-product of compressing the air. When ever you compress a gas it gives off energy in the form of heat...to remove this heat being carried we use a Intercooler..so that the hot air does not enter our combustion chamber and cause "detonation".

The more you compress the air the hotter it gets...thus a more Efficient intercooler is needed to cool off that air.

Now i can see over time with a insufficent intercooler will damage both engine and turbo from the extra heat...but no need to cool off the compressor side of a turbo since its built to compress air. same can be said about the turbine side..it needs to be hot. Just take care of that CHRA...