Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Megan Racing Manifold back tbe??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
where do u get these statistics from?
I had not 1 but 2 megan manifolds that both cracked in about 5 places
Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mines been ok sofar.. and i got in New for 100 bucks...so if it cracks. oh well.. thats why my stocker is sitting here ported.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 08:23 AM

We have installed around 30 or more (if i had to guess) Megan Racing headers and never had one crack to date. We usually heat wrap them now because most people like the look and advantage of it. I've seen the non megan headers that look alike crack and people brought them in to me to weld and I had one guy once come in with one that said it was a Megan manifold and it had a crack but i dont think it was. I've had a customer have a wrx manifold crack and Megan sent out a new one to replace it for free. We are a Megan distributor, which is the only non Japanese companies we are distributors for such as Carbonetic, Tomei, etc.., So, I am not posting this to promote our sales but, this is my honest experience. We also did all the R&D for the MR EVO header about 4 years ago and did a back to back dyno test with just the header change on a almost stock EVO VIII and it had gains like Sgt Blamo above had said. sorry for the long post lol I just wanted to share my experience with the Megan products
-Marco
Old Feb 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

I love how everyone says megan manifolds crack, and nobody that replied actually had one... its just what is going around..... I had one and it never cracked and there is a warranty fora year on it.

Stage 1 + manifold tbe on my 8 got 310 whp when tuned

No cracks. I don't run it anymore because I live in ca and I want engine to look stock.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bash
I love how everyone says megan manifolds crack, and nobody that replied actually had one... its just what is going around..... I had one and it never cracked and there is a warranty fora year on it.

Stage 1 + manifold tbe on my 8 got 310 whp when tuned

No cracks. I don't run it anymore because I live in ca and I want engine to look stock.
DIdnt you read what i posted above?

Theres plenty of members here that had theirs crack too, do a search
Old Feb 13, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
where do u get these statistics from?
seriously

opinion is ****
Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Just because X amount of people posted that their MR manifolds cracked, doesn't mean that the majority of them crack, or even 10%, etc,etc. what it does mean is that bad news is far more spreadable than good, it also means that you need to be careful of cheap imitations as I've read of people buying the cheaper eBay copies of the MR manifolds and then having problems.
In my opinion and based upon my experience, they are worth the money, where can you gain 15 TQ & 17 HP for $200 = labor, and it makes the car sound great too! My advice is, buy them from the shop that sells & installs them, as long as they warranty their work, then you can't go wrong, that's why I went with Billet design, they stand behind their work, and any reputable shop should do the same.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I think the largest ammount of people with these manifolds cracking are those running them with an unsuppourted MR or ebay style o2 housing, leaving all the weight from the turbo as well as the o2 housing and much of the downpipe resting on the welds. As well as many people running there cars with a removed hood vent "water sheild", the black thing thats in the hood stock. When the tubulars get a little wet they take a lot of stress.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

I've noticed quite a few aftermarket turbo kits include a tubular exhaust manifold as part of the kit. Are they also prone to cracking?

Put a different way: is this mainly an issue of material quality/thickness, or are there some other fundamental differences between standalone headers and those included w/ aftermarket turbo kits?