Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Titanium TBE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just to add some others, hks kansai, i think amuse makes a Ti catback, and there is one more that i think jondemand sells but i cant remember it, i have heard the hks kansai, it sounds amazing
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The question was Titanium TBEs, not Titanium cat-backs...
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

I can't find the hks kansai ti cat back system. I can't find specs on them at all. I tried the www.hkskansai.co.jp but couldn't find them on their site.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
What he's trying to say is that titanium is not a good material for an exhaust system. Steel is better at retaining heat, because it is more dense. Retaining heat is the key to keeping exhaust velocities as high as possible. The higher the velocity the higher the power. If I was made of money I would buy an inconel exhaust system. It's better than steel when it comes to retaining heat. Just for your information.

ture....HOT exhaust flows better and faster than cold exhaust....
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just so u know, from an earlier comment..

most exotic race cars use inconel exhausts, from the turboback etc... believe me, i know... i crashed one with an inconel exhaust... wasnt my cost to replace.... but a 5 foot section of inconel pipe with heat coating was about 3600 bucks....

---------------------------

Ti can be worth it to save weight, but all exotic metals cost $$....

to each their own.

cb
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

nice argument guys
Old Feb 17, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i don't think the main reason why you don't see too many Ti DP is because of the hot temp. there are Ti headers for street bikes and they can get red hot. i think the main reason why is the because it's very hard to mandrel bend large Ti pipes and a DP have many sharp bends. Ti is a very good memory metal, that means it will spring back to it's original shape, it would have to be cast in what ever shape you want it in the first place. even Ti exhaust with minimal bends are section welded.

look at all the section weld on this Ti DP, that's a lot of labor. and even though section weld looks cool, it's still not as smooth as mandrel bends.

Last edited by honda-guy; Feb 17, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
i don't think the main reason why you don't see too many Ti DP is because of the hot temp. there are Ti headers for street bikes and they can get red hot. i think the main reason why is the because it's very hard to mandrel bend large Ti pipes and a DP have many sharp bends. Ti is a very good memory metal, that means it will spring back to it's original shape, it would have to be cast in what ever shape you want it in the first place. even Ti exhaust with minimal bends are section welded.

look at all the section weld on this Ti DP, that's a lot of labor. and even though section weld looks cool, it's still not as smooth as mandrel bends.

The shape memory alloy is nitinol - binary alloy of nickel and titanium. Ti will bend and stay bent like any steel.

Another reason not to use Ti for components that are subjected to high temp is, as i mentioned in the earlier post, Ti is a getter material - in the presence of a carburizing atmosphere, titanium carbide forms - it is a brittle compound and parts, especially with multi-segment welds will crack.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

alot of these companies dont use TI for the downpipes because it generates so much heat. Being that the downpipe passes right under the oil pan, it would probably generate hotter oil temperatures which are no good to your engine.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowCar
The shape memory alloy is nitinol - binary alloy of nickel and titanium. Ti will bend and stay bent like any steel.

Another reason not to use Ti for components that are subjected to high temp is, as i mentioned in the earlier post, Ti is a getter material - in the presence of a carburizing atmosphere, titanium carbide forms - it is a brittle compound and parts, especially with multi-segment welds will crack.
thanks for clearing that up. i was alway told that Ti itself is a memory metal. we use it extensively in RC race cars because it doesn't bend and stay bend like aluminum.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue By You Evo
alot of these companies dont use TI for the downpipes because it generates so much heat. Being that the downpipe passes right under the oil pan, it would probably generate hotter oil temperatures which are no good to your engine.
Titanium doesnt "generate heat". It is more of a thermal conductor than stainless or most other metals this much is true.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Auto Produce Boss makes a titanium downpipe: http://www.apboss.com/english/images...pipe/evoti.gif
No one makes a whole turbo back as far as I know would have to combo this with a ti test pipe or cat and exhaust. This dp is expensive though like 86000 yen, pretty sick though.

Also fyi the Mine's skyline uses a ti dp.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

I believe Stilway makes a ti test pipe, also Mine's and Aspec both make ti test pipes
Old Feb 17, 2007, 07:57 PM
Account Disabled

Titanium is not good when it comes to downpipes, period. It's not as good as stainless steel when it comes to heat resistance. It will be brittle under high heat. Debate over.

Last edited by Vigo; Feb 17, 2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
Titanium is not good when it comes to downpipes, period. It's not as good as stainless steel when it comes to heat resistance. It will be brittle under high heat. Debate over.
I hope your joking..

Quick Reply: Titanium TBE