Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pros/Cons of 100%meth or 50/50 mix

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i run 100 denatured alcohol
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Having already lost one diaphragm due to the effects of methanol, I'd agree.
Ted, another thing to add, the smc flojet pump was really made to pump 35psig MAX. So i guess the diaphgram will be made thinner than those industrial strength Shurflo ones.

http://www.flojet.com/prodInfo/overv...309B_11_05.pdf

Periodical maintanence keeps akly kit happy

Last edited by SlowCar; Feb 17, 2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRevolutionRed
i still dont know what to do..lol..is running distilled water better for the motor?will WHP gain be similar?
I think everyone uses distilled water because it has no minerals in it to cause corrosion.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

distilled water is used to eliminate mineral deposit on the orifice of the nozzle, which will hinder flow
Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh boy all the meth/alky pros just stepped up to bat lol

slowcar
ucc
ted b
94awdcoupe

lol
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

i dont want to create another thread so i want everyones input on this.. what kit should i get i want to be 100% as safe as possible..i m thinking aquamist, but what do you guys think? how does snow perf compare or any other.. but i want a failsafe.. i want to be safe because i spent a lot of money on this car(pretty much all my money and i am still paying lol). but anyway i just want to be safe and get as much whp as possible.. please give me names of kits, mixtures ex..50/50, 100% meth or whatever you are thinking is the best for me..thanks ahead of time guys.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont want to create another thread so i want everyones input on this.. what kit should i get i want to be 100% as safe as possible..i m thinking aquamist, but what do you guys think? how does snow perf compare or any other.. but i want a failsafe.. i want to be safe because i spent a lot of money on this car(pretty much all my money and i am still paying lol). but anyway i just want to be safe and get as much whp as possible.. please give me names of kits, mixtures ex..50/50, 100% meth or whatever you are thinking is the best for me..thanks ahead of time guys.
Aquamist -- 1st place
Snow -- Close 2nd....

Finally, you may want to look on the Meth forums as there is a ton of information there...
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Start your own thread, or better yet do a search. This question comes up over and over again.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Issues of methanol contaminating the oil and other related aggravations primarily pertain to vehicles running 100% methanol as the primary fuel (not momentary methanol injection).
Check out 94AWDcoupe's posts in Long term effects of meth/alky on engine. Also, keep in mind that with most of the kits on the market, when the high boost condition ends, the system still continues to inject meth into the intake manifold for a second or so, which may or may not be fully combusted (hence the super rich AFRs that you can see on a wideband when you lift on an alky injected car) and thus potentially can cause the oil contamination problems that 94AWDcoupe saw.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 04:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Start your own thread, or better yet do a search. This question comes up over and over again.
i am not looking for you to tell me this post is off topic. it is still about meth and the mixtures you can run and the mixtures that would be the best for me, therefore it is not off topic and i should not create another thread in any other forum.i dont need your info..i want other people to chime in that have some info for me and i dont want to listen to "this is off topic".. thanks ahead of time guys..i appreciate your help and time, as always..
Old Feb 18, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Check out 94AWDcoupe's posts in Long term effects of meth/alky on engine. Also, keep in mind that with most of the kits on the market, when the high boost condition ends, the system still continues to inject meth into the intake manifold for a second or so, which may or may not be fully combusted (hence the super rich AFRs that you can see on a wideband when you lift on an alky injected car) and thus potentially can cause the oil contamination problems that 94AWDcoupe saw.
I would like to add a video to the comment Rich has given

http://media.putfile.com/lag-20-33

left - aquamist high speed valve in action, notice the lightning quick response to the signal

left - shows continuous injection eventhough the "event" is over
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I currently run the SMC kit with 100% denatured alky....reason being it is less corrosive than meth and safer. I have been thinking about switching to meth as I have just sourced some 5 miles away from my house at half the cost of the alcohol, but so far the benefits dont outweight the negatives...

Meth will make more power, but then your tune will be relying on the meth...
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

this word "corrosion" keeps coming up time and again...

As long as you dont store methanol in a aluminum container, there is nothing to corrode. All wetted parts in most system - nylon, santoprene, buna, nitrile, EPDM, brass, stainless steel - all are resistant to any R-OH
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Check out 94AWDcoupe's posts in Long term effects of meth/alky on engine.
I have, and I'm not entirely in agreement with them (not the AFR vs power discussion anyway).

I'll offer this sound bit of logic:

IF his assertion that his cylinder wall finish was compromised purely as a result of methanol injection is correct, than a host of forum members (including myself) should observe the very same thing when we pop our heads (which I'll be doing before long). Has anyone else reported the same?

IF his assertion is incorrect, then we won't witness the same thing, and best evidence suggests that it was due to something else particular to his setup (elements of which are apparently atypical).

My point is simply that right or wrong, one example hardly constitutes a statistically valid sample, especially when no other (?) similar reports have surfaced.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:32 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowCar
I would like to add a video to the comment Rich has given

http://media.putfile.com/lag-20-33

left - aquamist high speed valve in action, notice the lightning quick response to the signal

left - shows continuous injection eventhough the "event" is over
Great vid! What pump/kit is pushing the nozzle on the right?

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of 100%meth or 50/50 mix