Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car runs rough...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car runs rough...

Hey everyone, once in a while when I'm comming to a stop my RPMs drop pretty low and my car begins to run really rough untill I give it gas.

I have a IX with 16k miles on it. Only have a cat-back and a K&N drop in.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

my car does that sometimes, maybe is the MAS, cause the K&N does have their filter oiled, and sometime it will get the MAS dirty.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take out filter but stock back in, go to dealer becasue u still have u warrentee
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Kdash106
my car does that sometimes, maybe is the MAS, cause the K&N does have their filter oiled, and sometime it will get the MAS dirty.
Ummmm what is the MAS? Do you mean MAF?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yes sorry typo MAF***
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Mass Airflow Sensor. Mass Air Flow (Sensor) same thing.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

sounds Very much like a Air leak. Maybe a vacuum hose poped off from boost, its inevitable you can't avoid it. Or you could have a problem with the MAF, the MIL should illuminate soon if you do have a air leak or MAF problem. Even an Oxygen sensor could be the problem, basically what I am saying is somehow your A/F is probably off from one of these conditions or other conditions not listed in above statement. What I would suggest is to look around for loose broken or otherwise faulted vacuum hoses, and make sure the MAF pipe is securely fastened to both the MAF sensor and turbocharger compressor housing. Make sure the bypass valve dump tube is connect and the clamp is tight. And just look around for anything out of the ordinary. Or you can take it to an educated shop (i wouldn't recommend the dealer they may void your warranty for the exhaust) and have them smoke test it. And/or run a computer diagnostics to see what sensors are sending falsified information throwing the A/F off. Or you can have a completely different problem the IAC stepper motor could be faulted and that will cause an excessively low idle. Or even the knock sensor could be faulted and the ECU might be retarding the ignition timing as an countermeasure to thinking the motor is knocking.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

MAS and MAF do the same thing, only they are different. A MAS measures the amount of air by metering all of the air that enters the motor, a MAF measures only a sample of the air and determines from that measurement the correct amount. There are also VAF vane airflow sensors, and MAP mass air pressure sensors. The evos use MAFs.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well I can't take it to the dealer because this happens maybe once a week... I won't be able to simulate the problem once I'm there.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

check your intake UPIC pipe that connects to the throttle body. its been known to blow off, mine has
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

okay. than no typo for me!! lol i am gonna bring the car back to the dealers and tell them to check mine out, mine is pretty bad too.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=251825
here is my thread just giving u idea of what mine is like, if any of u guys can help than thanks, if not, than maybe this thread might help others.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the same exact mods as you and after I had the K & N put in the car ran like **** until I got it tuned recently. The boost wasn't holding, the power was horrible, etc. After the tune it ran perfectly and was very smooth. I say get a tune.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner available from pep boys, discount, advance...Its a grey can.
If this doesnt help, a new MAF sensor will be in order.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

My VIII has done this for as long as I can remember. Stalls like that too if the rpms drop too much. Was worse with an aftermarket BOV, so I went back to stock. Also happens when I put the car under load (ie. accelerate) from a stop/near stop and then suddenly put the clutch back in...

ie being at a stop on a hill, launching the car forward a bit, and then putting the clutch back in - rev's will drop, sometimes the car will stall. Some evos do this worse than others, I've been told its pretty normal.

If anyone finds a definitive answer, I'd like to know it!

Quick Reply: Car runs rough...