Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cammed evo, slow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suppose to tune after you install cams to get the most out of them......just go for a retune and check for leaks also....
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor

i also had a turbo trix tune when i was stock. once i installed the hks 272/272 after the tune, my car was SLOWER then a evo with nothing but an intake and a downpipe. i had TT tune it a second time, and then i put 3-4 car lengths before 3rd gear on the same car. now i tune myself and its even faster
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
i also had a turbo trix tune when i was stock. once i installed the hks 272/272 after the tune, my car was SLOWER then a evo with nothing but an intake and a downpipe. i had TT tune it a second time, and then i put 3-4 car lengths before 3rd gear on the same car. now i tune myself and its even faster
Well there you go, the answer
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

the answer.... thanks kevin.

i got about 9 bills to spend, so im thinking im ganna get LICP and intake and then get a retune with all those.

edit: anyone recommend a place in houston/san antonio? or am i going to have to wait for jestr...
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by playmajohn

i got about 9 bills to spend, so im thinking im ganna get LICP and intake and then get a retune with all those.

edit: anyone recommend a place in houston/san antonio? or am i going to have to wait for jestr...
You should just skip the intake and invest in something else like a wideband or other needed toy
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a bad tune.. Go with a Jestr tune!!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

you should absolutely get retuned after cams...not to mention i'd try for a custom tune, not a base flash.

also do a leak and compression test.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally have HKS 264 I/E cams and can tell you once they were installed and custom dyno tuned I had the hardest pull the evo ever gave me. The cams are the only mod that I dont "feel" like my car is slow again because Im used to it and I've had them for almost a year.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

also, who put the cams in? You may be off a tooth on either cam.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 06:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by str8kor
turbotrix tune is weak..., still you shouldn't be neck to neck w/ almost stock evo... i am thinking its ur tune, btw if you live in texas there are many places that do custom tunes, w/ ur mods im guessing a pretty stable tune would be around 300-350whp

Please explain to me ... the def of weak ? A basic tune is richer and less timing then a custom but i fail to see a reason that he shouldnt be beating his friend. You give HP estimates of 300 - 350 ... that is very broad. His car should put out with the cams and a mail in ..about 325. There is no rocket science .. in the mail in. I've done hundreds and hundreds .. i guess his tune is diff then the next guy and its just weak and cant be something else wrong with the car..

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Feb 28, 2007, 06:43 AM
Former Sponsor

alright so i have a 05 evo8 with exhaust, boost controller, fuel pump, bov, hks 272 and a basic flash from turbotrix. still running on stock clutch, i raced my friend who has and 03 with ACT clutch boost controller and exhaust, and believe it or not, we are neck and neck. we switched cars and he was not able to pull on me in my car. he is not tuned, and i have a stock clutch and i am tuned, but i cant pull. obviously theres something wrong with my cars performance not being able to pull on a lightly modded evo. im thinking its the stock clutch drivetrain issue ,or my tune.
what do you guys think

Do you have a test pipe ?

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Feb 28, 2007, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowEVO21
you should absolutely get retuned after cams...not to mention i'd try for a custom tune, not a base flash.

also do a leak and compression test.
definitely retune...and a testpipe would help open things up!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by str8kor
turbotrix tune is weak..., still you shouldn't be neck to neck w/ almost stock evo... i am thinking its ur tune, btw if you live in texas there are many places that do custom tunes, w/ ur mods im guessing a pretty stable tune would be around 300-350whp
I agree here, may I ask what your car made after you were tuned? I was tuned by turbo trix oringinally and wasn't very happy with the end result. Dont get me wrong Jeff is the MAN, but it just wasn't hot for me. Try looking into another tune and see.....BTW the clutch really isn't that big a factor unless your friends is in bad shape.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Damn and im thinking bout getting a dyno tune by Turbo T. Are they really that bad???
Old Feb 28, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BocaShula
Damn and im thinking bout getting a dyno tune by Turbo T. Are they really that bad???
No in fact they are very good. No one is perfect but I have a feeling having cams and a mail in flash is the probwith the OP. I got installed and tuned at Pruven by Dynoflash and my friend with the same mods went to TurboTrix. I pulled 347whp and 352trq and he made 352whp and like 335trq. I'm not a TT customer but if I lived closer I would be.

Quick Reply: cammed evo, slow?