Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make sure u change ur spark plugs every 15-20k miles, i've seen evos run like complete sh*t due to faulty sparks
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

so would the stock ones be fine if i get HKS DLI II?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

dude i told, .026-.028 is what u want.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

ok so whats the right freakin plug to get? lol no one can agree
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chaz517
ok so whats the right freakin plug to get? lol no one can agree
NGK BR7ES gapped to .026-.028
Old Feb 24, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running .030 on BPR7EIX iridium plugs and everything is fine. I also know what i'm talking about when i suggested you to start at a larger gap and work your way down. Don't listen to people that claim a particular gap setting is going to work the best for you. It's trial and error. Also, it's a FACT that you want to run the largest gap possible for your setup, as this has been previously covered by me earlier in this thread. Every engine is different and different set-ups add even more variables into the equation.

Moving on, if you want the BEST plug possible, use the NGK Iridium IX BPR7EIX plugs. They are top notch plugs that will last a good bit longer than cooper electrode plugs. Like previously stated, start at .032 and work your way down. You probably won't be able to run .032, but you won't know until you try. If .032 causes misfires, gap them down to .031 and so on and so forth. This won't hurt anything as you are trying to find YOUR engines optimal gap, not deadbeatrec's optimal gap setting.

PM me if you guys have any questions.

CJ
Old Feb 24, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

WOW, i am reading about Evo 8 gaps and i am stunned. My 9 is all the way down to .021. The stock unit however works very well...
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
no no no no. go with the BR7ES not the pertruding tip or the 8's. no need. do what i said and u will be happy.
At one point, I had BR8ES plugs on my car (Vishnu recommends them). Then I switched to BPR7ES plugs, and logged my Evo which had higher knock counts then normal. I have a theory that the change in plugs contributed to that. Many different people have different opinions on them (plugs), but in my estimation, if you're running higher hp than stock, colder plugs are a must...especially with 91 gas.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:34 AM
Account Disabled

LOL...funn thread, most spark plugs that you buy now adays are pre-gapped. and some you arent suppose to gap, do to the tip. i wish the premium spark plugs for the IX were the same as the VIII..alot cheaper. The best thing for the IX are the XP3924 gapped at .044..autolite plugs. A good NGK plug for the VIII is the IGR7A-G, these are the OE style laser iridium ones, 19 bucks a pop tho..=[ and remember these are pre-gapped at .032
Old Feb 25, 2007, 01:35 AM

Any suggestions on correct plug for my setup? 600-700whp and I'm using AEM's newest twinfire ignition. Right now I'm using BPR7ES @ .018 and it misfires at high boost. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoInvidia
LOL...funn thread, most spark plugs that you buy now adays are pre-gapped. and some you arent suppose to gap, do to the tip. i wish the premium spark plugs for the IX were the same as the VIII..alot cheaper. The best thing for the IX are the XP3924 gapped at .044..autolite plugs. A good NGK plug for the VIII is the IGR7A-G, these are the OE style laser iridium ones, 19 bucks a pop tho..=[ and remember these are pre-gapped at .032

Actually, you are wrong. NO plug come truly pre-gapped. They might come with a general gap, but most plugs are used in many different application and the gap from the factory does not nessicarily apply to your engine. Please, re-read everything i have said in this thread. Seems that some of you just skim through these posts and are not actually reading anything.

Another thing, you are recommending people to run .044 with a autolite plug? First off, it's seriously debatable if that is a good plug at all, but running them on such high gap is not recommended. .044 is the starting point for naturally aspirated Honda engines(stock gap on most honda engines is .044), that probably use this same plug in some instances, hence why the gap is at .044. Please don't spread garbage, do some research and then chime in.

Posts like yours are what makes this thread funny. Plug science is actually very simple and logical, but for some reason you guys have a skewed opinion on what plugs do and how they work. Thats where i come in, to help message your previous conventions into actual fact.
CJ
Old Feb 25, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e2swing
Any suggestions on correct plug for my setup? 600-700whp and I'm using AEM's newest twinfire ignition. Right now I'm using BPR7ES @ .018 and it misfires at high boost. Thanks in advance.

you need to be running at least a 8 heat range first off. You are still running the stock heat range of 7. Try a 8 heat range,(i.e. BPR8EIX NGK Iridium IX) and start your gap a little higher, try around .025 then work your way down from there. If you don't experience misfires @ .025, start a little higher and then work your way down until there are no misfires. Since you have a aftermarket ignition system, you should be able to run a little more gap, but not much more. It's really just trial and error, so follow my advice and you will find the right gap for your setup.

CJ
Old Feb 25, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
People say Spark plugs should be changed a step colder for every 100hp over stock.
thats interesting, i never heard that. But i does make sense in a way
Old Feb 25, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by iTune
you need to be running at least a 8 heat range first off. You are still running the stock heat range of 7. Try a 8 heat range,(i.e. BPR8EIX NGK Iridium IX) and start your gap a little higher, try around .025 then work your way down from there. If you don't experience misfires @ .025, start a little higher and then work your way down until there are no misfires. Since you have a aftermarket ignition system, you should be able to run a little more gap, but not much more. It's really just trial and error, so follow my advice and you will find the right gap for your setup.

CJ
Thanks, I will give that a try.

Erik
Old Feb 26, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

i ran the iridium 8's and was misfiring at around 6,5k and so i went back to the BR7ES and havent had a problem since

Quick Reply: spark plugs