Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spark plugs

looking to get a 20g lt turbo upgrade soon, David from Buschur racing told me to get BR7es spark plugs. now... i dont know anything about spark plugs, i've heard colder or hotter plugs, but know nothing about em. can you guys explain this to me? who makes this BR7es and where can i get it? thanks for your help guys
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

ask Dave...
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:13 PM

If you run a HKS DLI, then just run stock plugs at stock gap, also change them periodically due to wear.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:14 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sap12687
ask Dave...
times 100.. try google, there ngk plugs.. so how do nevermind.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smilely
If you run a HKS DLI, then just run stock plugs at stock gap, also change them periodically due to wear.
how many miles are we talking about? thanks for your help
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

People say Spark plugs should be changed a step colder for every 100hp over stock. The colder range is usually from how far the threads stick out, thickness maybe too. At any rate, the stock plugs will miss alot due to hot spots forming and spark not occuring when needed because of increased cylinder temp/pressure.

As you can see, it is very worthwhile to put in a colder plug if your level of tune warrants it. It is not beneficial to put a colder range plug into an otherwise stock car .
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by electricevo
People say Spark plugs should be changed a step colder for every 100hp over stock. The colder range is usually from how far the threads stick out, thickness maybe too. At any rate, the stock plugs will miss alot due to hot spots forming and spark not occuring when needed because of increased cylinder temp/pressure.

As you can see, it is very worthwhile to put in a colder plug if your level of tune warrants it. It is not beneficial to put a colder range plug into an otherwise stock car .
so what kinda spark plug does stock evos have? and what kinda plug is a step colder. would anything happen if im not making that much power and put colder plugs in? whats this 'gap' all about? thank you kindly for your help
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

spark plugs sometimes can last as long u have your car....and sometimes can last in a day just like the light bulbs......... but off course its better to check it from time to time esp after you race.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

so what kinda spark plug does stock evos have? and what kinda plug is a step colder. would anything happen if im not making that much power and put colder plugs in? whats this 'gap' all about? thank you kindly for your help
Look at this link http://www.lancershop.com/customer/home.php?cat=89

Gap is the space at the tip of the spark plug that the spark jumps across to ignite the air fuel mixture.

If your Gap is too small or too large, the plug will have trouble igniting air fuel mixtures. In the link is the correct gap that you should use. You gap using a spark plug gapping tool found at pretty much any tool shop.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i also run the br7es. they are half a heat range colder than stock. br's are known to run better on evos instead of the bprs do to the non prutuding tip.

they can be founds at pepboys for 2 bucks each or you can get them on www.summitracing.com for 2 bucks plus shipping each
Old Feb 21, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for all the help guys
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

are these spark plugs universal?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...0&postcount=73

Originally Posted by iTune
Like stated above, plugs that are too hot a heat range will not allow for the heat to escape the combustion chamber. The plug has two main purposes. Ignite the air/fuel mixture and transfer heat from the combustion chamber. It's important to remember spark plugs do not create heat, they only remove heat. The spark plug works as a heat exchanger by pulling unwanted thermal energy away from the combustion chamber, and transferring the heat to the engine's cooling
system. The heat range is defined as a plug's ability to dissipate heat. Make sure the plugs are properly torqued as a improper seat will not allow heat to transfer to the head. The temperature of the spark plug's firing end must be kept low enough to prevent pre-ignition, but high enough to prevent fouling. This is called "Thermal Performance", and is determined by the heat range selected. The insulator nose length, gas volume around the insulator nose, the materials/construction of the center electrode and porcelain insulator all determine the plugs heat range. Improper gap can play a huge roll in knock as well. You want to run the most gap possible to better expose the spark to the ignition, but if you run too large of a gap, you will have misfires. If you run too small of a gap, you will increase firing end temp and thus combustion temps/pressures. you must reduce the gap about .004" for every 50 hp you add as a general rule of thumb.
enjoy.

CJ
Old Feb 22, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

i have talked to many tuners and they all say that the BR7ES are the way to go up to about uber amounts of whp. thats all Pruven uses at the shop and they have a few 700+whp evo there as we speak. gap them to, and this is important,

.026-.028

trust me i have had issues in the past with misfireing due to the plugs not being gaped. i have also tried the 8's and nothing special.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
i have talked to many tuners and they all say that the BR7ES are the way to go up to about uber amounts of whp. thats all Pruven uses at the shop and they have a few 700+whp evo there as we speak. gap them to, and this is important,

.026-.028

trust me i have had issues in the past with misfireing due to the plugs not being gaped. i have also tried the 8's and nothing special.
i found these BR7ES on quite a few different sites, but none of em list mitsu evo. are these plugs universal?

Quick Reply: spark plugs