Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crank walk or bad balance shafts?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crank walk or bad balance shafts?

I have a friend with a Evo IX with approx 5k~ miles on it.. The other day the tensioner belt broke and the car was making some weird noises..He had it replaced under warranty and it continued to make the noise..I listened to it and anything about 4k rpms, sounded like their were rocks in the motor rumbling around.. He took it to 2 dealers and they told him it was coming from the motor.. Went to a couple of master techs and they all told him it sounds like a unbalanced or broken balanceshafts... My friend told me he was feeling vibrations through his clutch.. He went to another dealer yesterday and the master tech there told him hes got crank walk due to the bad or unbalanced shafts.. Hes getting it replaced under warranty.. Has anyone here also had crank walk or balance shaft problems? This is odd to have this happen specially in a new car
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe if it has crank walk then it wouldnt go into gear or be driveable
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bvdawg13
I believe if it has crank walk then it wouldnt go into gear or be driveable
Well its driveable, matter of fact it runs as strong as always.. Hes taking in to the dealer today and theyre gona tear it down
Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

bump for some more opinions
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Balance shaft is boned.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

I don't recall hearing about any "thrust bearing failures" I would take it in and auth them start working on it. Also make sure you get them to put you in a rental so your not with out a vehicle, they tend to work faster if they have you in a rental.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the balance shaft belt is out of wack.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

i agree with chris balance shafts are out of wack i would say it doesnt have crank walk it would nt wanna go past 4k in the rpm band if it did miguel. p.s. hows your new car havent heard from you in a while
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldn't crankshaft fore-aft movement cause the bottom end to disinegrate?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

There has never been any crankwalk in evo 4g63's at least that I have heard of, why would you think that was the problem?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

I had the exact same problem when I bought mine used with 12k on it. The dealer kept if for three weeks. It is extremely loud rattling at 4k rpm and up. They didn't have the invoice ready when I picked it up, and then they closed a week later! So, I don't know for sure what the problem was, and I'm still trying to track down that invoice. One tech says he "thinks" it was my balance shaft. They also replaced my cat and rear diff. trying to troubleshoot. I still, sometimes hear the noise (much softer) only at 4k. Nothing else. Keep us updated, I would love to know exactly what they do to fix it.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

i'm pretty sure it's the balance shafts as well. when my head got fixed and put back on, they did the timing and the car seemed normal unless i went over 4k (same spot as your friend) it would start vibrating. if i downshifted into anything around 5k the car would violently shake. they redid the balance shaft timing and it was gone.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

His car seems perfectly normal under 4k but after 4k sound like a bunch or rocks rumbling around in the motor.. I believe theyre tearing it down today and he will tell me whats wrong with it.. When i listened to it, i also thought i was the balance shafts but at the sametime i thought it could also be crank walk
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Crankwalk hasn't been a problem since the Eclipse's. If I recall correctly it was isolated to a 6 bolt motor. We have the 7 bolts which are bulletproof in comparison. HOWEVER.... even a BULLETPROOF motor can get crankwalk when a heavy duty clutch/pressure plate is used..., OR excessive drag style launches are done...just FYI... If you talk to Mike W. at RRE, he will be able to give you much more descriptive insight.....
Old Feb 27, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about bullet broof. I just got my IX back from the dealer because of Rod Knock. End up being the Rod Bearings and Crank Bearings were worn almost all the way. I changed the oil with Mobil One every 3,000 w/mit. Oil filter and no leaks. Never raced it and took very good care of this car, to find out I needed new bearings with only 18,xxx miles on the clock. I did keep all my receipts and paper work and thats what covered my ***. This is a bone stock IX, nothing done to it what so ever.

Quick Reply: Crank walk or bad balance shafts?