Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird clutch noise

I will make this short and to the point.

I had an Exedy twin disc cluth installed about 9 months ago. I did experience a little chattering noise which i heard was normal...

Well about 2 to 3 weeks ago this new noise started. It sounds like a grinding noise. It only happens when i am just starting out moving in 1st gear or in reverse.... BUT it happens when i just start to release the clutch (right when the clutch starts to grip). Once the clutch is fully released it doesnt make the noise anymore. AND it only does it once in a while maybe once a day. It could happen when i first drive the car for the day or when i have dove it a few times in a day. I want to say it is a grinding noise because there isnt any real way to discribe it other than that.

I know it is hard to diagnois without hearing it but was wondering if anyone else has this problem and has had it looked at.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it like a humming noise when you change gears? I have an exedy twin plate and get the same thing. Learn to rev match, and it will go away. I believe this is normal for the twin plate.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

No it isnt when i change gears it is when i am in first or reverse and not moving. Once i start to release the clutch... right at the moment when the clutch starts to grip it makes a howling/ grinding noise.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

its possible that its slipping but that depends on the way you drive.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

my stock clutch does the same thing ... its only in the morning when the car is cold once you drive for a bit the noise goes away ... i still dnt know what it is but i dont think its a problem. atleast thats what alfred from tuning technologies told me .. so im taking his word for it
Old Feb 27, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your clutch is on its way out. Mine made the same noise. it might seem like its holding when u putch it....but its probably slippin a little bit, just enough to be down on some power.

I drove around like that for months. it was still drivable but was horrible
and got worse about every other week.

It would get worse in stop and go traffic.
would over heat faster and be noisey
very hard to pull out on a hills....or almost unable to at all.
unable to pull up on alantic motor sport's dyno lol
Problems lauching at higher rpm
lost some MPH in the traps
very effin noisey and cunky when accelerating from a dead stop (embarassing)

Last edited by EVOllie; Feb 27, 2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

06redMR,
that is exactly what it is doing. it makes that weird noise whenever it gets below 20 or 30 degrees outside. I just realized it never did it befoer it snowed and i usually does it within the first 10 to 20 minutes of driving it. I do agree that it has something to do with the cold, but what i dont know... maybe i could get an answer from Warrtalon or someoen at Buschur Racing. It is a very strange noise...

As far as the clutch going out already.... i cant see that for 2 reasons

1. I just put this clutch in in june of last year (8 months ago)

2. My stock clutch lasted a year and a half, i cant see an Exedy twin disc racing clutch going out in 8 months, considering i only took it to the track 3 or 4 times last year and have only launched it maybe 10 to 15 times since i have had it in. I was told by Buschur Racing that they have had teh same Exedy twin disc racing clutch in their drag car for 2 years now and still grips like no other

BUT I want ot thank you for you opinion. i always appreciate an opinion and not a sarcastic or rude comment. Its nice to see people actually help and not be self-centered, rude and/or a complete A$$h0le
Old Feb 28, 2007, 04:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had clutches go up quick but they had a lot of drag time. Sounds like u barley used urs. If its only doing it a every once and a while i wouldnt worry about it. mine did it EVERY time...very loud.

Im sure someone else thats hads that niose should chime in.