Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Does you evo sound like this under deceleration
Yes
69.55%
No
30.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

does your evo sound like this

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2003, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car just seems to be a little noisier than most on decel...I don't think anything is failing to operate properly.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Taking a ride

Originally posted by Liandrin11
Mine makes the same noise, but much quieter, though I'm assuming the harshness of your recording is due to the recording equipment. BLKEVO8, you say yours doesn't make that sound? I'd be interested in taking a ride in your car to hear it if you ever have a spare moment.
Well my tranny has that whinny sound on deceleration but my shifting is smooth with no noise in fact it sucks the shifter into place. I do not notice my tranny noise as much any more because of my Buschur turbo back that will dominate everthing. I am planning on linning the trunk with dynamat and see if that tames the cabin noise, if that does not do enough the doors are next. As far as getting a ride I dont have a problem with that in fact I would love to see on a sunny saturday with all the local evo owners maybe meeting up at Alki Beach for a meet and greet and change ideas and see what different modes look like etc... PM me I will give my email also there is a NW chapter jman425 has got the ball rolling lets set up a date.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Mine sounds the same. Noisy, but it's awd.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 09:13 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Difficult for me to distinguish the specific sound due to poor quality speakers on laptop. Having read the posts, mine is louder than other cars I have owned but within my expectations of what to expect from an AWD car like an EVO. If I notice anything different after re-playing the file on a system with better fidelity, I'll edit this post.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

If you do plan on having them replace anything under warranty in this instance, it would probably behoove you not to modify for now. If you actually do get them to agree that something is wrong, they will be the ones paying if the car is still stock.

Good luck either way!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ez76

I think it could be the front diff. You should have him get the Ralliart front LSD for comparison, too.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 06:21 PM

Although I do not have an Evo - I do have a Honda S2000.
The 00' and some 01' models have had "issues" with the exact same noise on deceleration.
The problem was traced to weak springs in the clutch.
Honda has covered the problem under warranty by replacing the clutches. Mine was replaced today.

Go to the forums at www.s2ki.com and do a search for clutch rattles.

I hope this helps.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Easy Rider
Although I do not have an Evo - I do have a Honda S2000.
The 00' and some 01' models have had "issues" with the exact same noise on deceleration.
The problem was traced to weak springs in the clutch.
Honda has covered the problem under warranty by replacing the clutches. Mine was replaced today.

Go to the forums at www.s2ki.com and do a search for clutch rattles.

I hope this helps.
Dude, you rock

I'll have to go check it out. Maybe I can talk the regional rep into installing a quality aftermarket clutch, assuming he can't come up with a solution that is...
Old Jun 6, 2003, 12:48 PM

Check your PM!
Old Jun 6, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe I'm deaf, dumb, blind, stupid, lame, handicap, cripled and Pu@#y is my middle name, but I have no idea what anyone is talking about! I even listened twice. The only thing I heard over breathing was the turn signal and then the e-brake. Sorry
Old Jun 6, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Is it possible that the sound is coincidental with a change in gearbox lubricant?

Perhaps the oil that was used as replacement is providing less cushioning and is allowing for more mechanical noise. I have noticed significant variations in gearbox noise while trying different gear oils. In my experience Omega 690 seems to dampen gearbox noise the best.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Braf
Is it possible that the sound is coincidental with a change in gearbox lubricant?

Perhaps the oil that was used as replacement is providing less cushioning and is allowing for more mechanical noise. I have noticed significant variations in gearbox noise while trying different gear oils. In my experience Omega 690 seems to dampen gearbox noise the best.
Huh??

I had the noise before and after the tranny replacement. I never touched anything on the car. The noise started at less than 100 miles.

I do agree with what your saying and think a modified fluid would help. But as far as I know they used factory spec from the factory and when it was replaced as well.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evocrazy
Maybe I'm deaf, dumb, blind, stupid, lame, handicap, cripled and Pu@#y is my middle name, but I have no idea what anyone is talking about! I even listened twice. The only thing I heard over breathing was the turn signal and then the e-brake. Sorry

It's tough to hear cause the recording blows, but I can hear it on the recording, probably becuase I'm very familiar with the noise... only happens on throttle off so there are only a couple of points in the recording where you should hear anything other than road noise..
Old Jun 6, 2003, 06:02 PM

Bingo = Weak clutch springs!
(Just like the S2000)
Old Jun 6, 2003, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Easy Rider
Bingo = Weak clutch springs!
(Just like the S2000)
I don’t think the noise is clutch springs. The noise I think most of us are familiar with has followed me through three different clutch combinations. Stock, RalliArt cover with RalliArt ceramic disk and Exedy twin disk. The noise did however disappear when I used Omega gear oil.

Quick Reply: does your evo sound like this