Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Does you evo sound like this under deceleration
Yes
69.55%
No
30.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

does your evo sound like this

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2003, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The S2000 clutch had week springs in it - to test this - get the car to where it make the noise and apply a SMALL amount of pressure on the clutch pedal (during no gas deceleration at _ _ _ rpm) - only moving the pedal an inch or two. If the noise stops completely when this is done - it's the springs in the clutch - no matter what the make of the car.

Good luck
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm... microphones pickup sound different from the human ear, the AWD drivetrain is definitely noisy, a little noise is not uncommon. My evo on decel has a whine to it just like most AWD cars, the Subaru does it too.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys

My car has that damn deceleration 'clicking' noise too. Sounds like something in the tranny is broken. First noticed it at about 500 miles. Have like 4000 miles now and the sound is still there. Brought it to the dealer twice and they reassured me it was normal. Apparently I was told that Mitsubishi actually changed the tranny of a customer's car and the noise was still there. Hmmm. Anyway I hate my dealer and will never go there again.

Ben
Old Jul 19, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah that was probably my car they were talking about, we have the same regional parts/servic emanager John something.

But they didn't replace it because of the noise, they replaced it because of shavings int he fluid.

I'm fairly convenced the noise is comming from either the clutch disk springs or the throwout bearing.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all,

I picked up my EVO last Friday from Boch Mitsu in Norwood, MA.

I had an appt on Thurs to get lojack installed, and after noticing the decel noise and reading some threads on here, I asked them to check the alignment and to do a ride-along for the decel noise.

They did not do the alignment, but promised me one under warranty. I will probably go back after I have 1500 miles or so. I was very appreciative of that.

As for the decel noise, they had two techs take the car, and they agree that they hear "something." They called Mitsu, who acknowledged that a "few" customers have complained about it, but there was no known fix as of yet. I just wanted it on record while I had ~550 miles, so if it does turn out to be a problem down the road, I have it documented. The service manager was very cool, and confided that he is also a "car guy," although he's into old school domestics.

I have driven a few hundred more miles since then, and it either seems to have gotten less severe, or I'm just getting used to it. Hopefully Mitsu will find the problem if it exists and get it fixed for us. Love the car so far though.

Take care,

FB
Old Jul 19, 2003, 02:49 PM
Account Disabled

At 400 miles now I hear the same noise but its not very loud like the soundclip. It does sound unnormal but I never drove a AWD car before, so I'll go with what everyone here says for now
Old Jul 19, 2003, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Hello all,
If you have this noise you will not have to listen very hard to hear it! I had the very same noise and when I took it in to have it checked out by the mitsu dealer, it was found to be a defective throwout bearing. They replaced the bearing and tested. The noise was gone but they told me that they wanted to take another look. When they took everything apart to get a closer look they decided to replace not only the throwout bearing, but also the flywheel, pressure plate, and I chose to replace the clutch disk(not covered by warranty) since they had everything apart and because it was already showing quite a bit of wear and I've never really launched hard or anything either. I pick it up on monday so I will post the details of what was done and if it takes care of everything.
Other than this my EVO has been great. I have 13,500mi on it.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**UPDATE**

I just added some grounding cables, and took the car for a ride. As a quick digression, SOTP it made a noticeable difference and car revs quicker and is smoother now. Of course, I disconnected the battery, so some of the gain could just be from that.

I tested the theory of pressing the clutch pedal slightly when I hear the noise, and voila, it does disappear. This seems to further support the idea that it's the throwout bearing or otherwise related to the clutch.

Can I "live" with this noise, or is it adversely wearing the drivetrain? I hope the consensus is that it's related to the clutch and we can get them replaced under warranty. I would love to upgrade my pressure plate as well, so everything will be stout when I do a few mods (plans are for turboback exhaust and ecu reflash or XEDE).

Another thing I forgot is that Boch service drained my tranny fluid and did not find any metal shavings, so I think the tranmission itself is ok...

Thoughts? Sorry for the long post!

FB
Old Jul 20, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

My car makes the same noise... Its under warranty... No worries.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Dangit I can't delete my post....
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

my car makes no such noise...i don't hear anything on the decel....my question is...are you deceling in gear? and in which gear or are we talking a neutral decel? or maybe i don't understand what everyone means with this decel stuff... are we talking reving the engine and while the rpms drop kind of decel...cause i hear nothing but wind noise with my windows open when i decel...and nothing when the windows are closed except the tires gripping the road.....
Old Jul 22, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

In gear decel pretty much any gear over 3000 rpm but it's worse between 3K and 5K and in third and fourth gear.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

The clip sounded like partial throttle bucking. Not an issue with the car, it's the driver.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

No it's not the dirver. there was no part throttle bucking. that was pure throttle off decel, as in my foot was off the gas pedal.

If you don't have the decel noise YET, be thankfull cause a large percentage do, and yes it has already been logged with mitsu and the regional manger road with me and heard it as well.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:41 AM

For 7k miles my evo tranny was quiet. Now with in a day my car is louder than your sound byte. I took all my mods off and it is still loud. The car is at the dealer as of today. But don't let them B.S. you. This is not normal. I say this because I work for Daimler-Chrysler building trannys and transfer cases... machining, assembly and testing, and I would have been fired if I let something noisey like that leave the plant. Also I was in Japan a few months ago at Bozz Speed and I went for a ride in some VII's with different stage's of mod's and LSD's, these cars had quite a bit of miles on them and all I heard were the LSD's.
And I have currently 2 AWD Talon's one in the 10's with absolutely no gear whine. The other two that I just sold have 120k plus w/originally trannies in them w/ NNOOO gear noise! If you guys and gals think that is normal your smoking a lot of crack!!!!!!

Quick Reply: does your evo sound like this