Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Does you evo sound like this under deceleration
Yes
69.55%
No
30.45%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

does your evo sound like this

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after a change of exhaust from avo to rnr, and also running an HF cat- i get this whinning sound when i accelerate.... is this normal also?
Old Dec 26, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

26,000 miles and still no sounds like that.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like uneven weight distribution to me.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
My 02cents on the decel noise is that the noise is comming from the throwout bearing.

My regional rep had a lengthy conversation with engineering in japan about the decel noise after I escallated to the point that the director of customer service called my rep and fored a call with japan to talk about my issue. Engineering stated that they knew about the noise and that it is comming from the back faces of the gears, which are excited under deceleration. They told him the symptoms not he other way around (too prove the point that they knew about it already).

Now, I think what happens is the vibration is setup in the tranny under decel, but either the throwout bearing or the springs on the clutch hub pickup this vibration and amplify it to the point of it being very audible. The throw out bearing in unloaded when the noise occurs, which is always when throwout bearings make noise (assuming it has not started comming apart that is). Applying a slight bit of pressure to the clutch pedal make sthe noise go away because IMO you are taking up the slack on the throwout bearing. My rep thinks it's because you are removeing load from the tranny, but again it only takes the slightest bit of pressure to stop the nosie.

Honda S2000 TSB 00-054 would tend to point to the clutch springs, but my throwout bearing is noisy with the ac on and the car in neutral so...

I should find out more next week.

The above description is the problem. I also had that exact problem in my 2000 Integra type R. I put 65000 miles on it and never had any performance problems, just that noise. So just ignore it until it is time to replace the clutch.