Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So just got my heart broken on dyno

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
PM KevinD, he can fix you up with an awesome custom tune, he is right here in the area as well.

i've been in contact with Mike.. i installed his cams a while back. he was going to go with a 35r over christmas but plans changed. after his dyno results hes already contacted me again and we are setting up a time to boost leak test it and tune it. certainly there is a bunch of power to be had here.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

I had a major issue with my car before too.. mustang dyno with full turboback etc and dynoed 186whp on a mustang dyno. I just started modding everything till I fixed the issue.

The problem was when the cam gears were installed.. something went wrong. The belts were off a tooth. I switched back to kevlar belts, stock gears and added cams an gained 100whp! bottom line cam gears suck... Its dumb to even mess with them.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
With the numbers that far off, I'd be inclined to think it's a mechanical issue, not a tuning issue. If one of the cam gears is off by one tooth on the belt, it'll cause a heck of a headache.

One of my buddies built up his 300zxtt and the belt was off one tooth on the crank. The car would NOT run. We would get it started but couldn't keet it running no matter what we tried.

Couple things I would check: boost leak, exhaust leak somewhere between the turbo and motor, cam timing.

Do you have a datalog from the dyno pull? It would help immensely in trying to diagnoise the issue.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by 4TUN8
I hate to say it but with the new features such as ecuflash being out and all of the great logging software the XEDE's and ECU+'s of the world are kind of useless.
Psssh, whatever! I'd trade my IX ECUflash for my old VIII XEDE back in the drop of a hat.

Want to sell that XEDE to me? I'd love to have multiple maps and fine tunability again.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 01:35 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Jaylenospoolboy
Sure the Xede has it's advantages, but in reality, Verrrrrrrrrrry few people know how to tune them and the off the shelf maps don't always apply to certain applications.

To the average Evo guy with customized engine work the Xede is a paperweight; It's too hard to get it tuned or serviced by the 3 guys in the country that tune them REGULARLY.
I guess I'm one of those 3...

In reality, the XEDE is easy peasy to map with. It has active live tracing during runs and is much more intuitive than ECUflash. Its also allows substantially more precise user adjustments than a reflash. When I've tuned people that came to Andrew's shop and bought an XEDE, I've never had a problem making their former reflash tune look like a bag of smashed a-holes compared to the XEDE remap.

Every car is different. Get custom tuned!

It's a Betamax in a world of VHS
That's flawed logic. Its more like a Blu Ray disc player in a world of DVDs. It offers a lot more to those who have the need or capability to utilize its advantages.

Last edited by Noize; Mar 1, 2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mcjonnyp
go with a custom tune and you should see a big increase
^^^
Old Mar 1, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Recks
..... The Xede has plenty of advantages.. A flash is one thing.. You sure you are running the correct map? You sure you cam gears are at its correct setting? How do you know its the Xede? Get a custom tune cause it sounds like you don't have one.. And don't be so quick to jump the gun.. Any boost leaks?
actually your totally right... i did jump the gun! jus been lookin at so many turbo upgrades that i want and alot of the results are on map based cars so i dont know how well the mass would perform... when in reality i have know plans on exceding the flow of the maf!!!! sorry that was a jerk statment my xede has been good to me and im tuned by ttr so its a good tune!!!
Old Mar 1, 2007, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I guess I'm one of those 3...

In reality, the XEDE is easy peasy to map with. It has active live tracing during runs and is much more intuitive than ECUflash. Its also allows substantially more precise user adjustments than a reflash. When I've tuned people that came to Andrew's shop and bought an XEDE, I've never had a problem making their former reflash tune look like a bag of smashed a-holes compared to the XEDE remap.

Every car is different. Get custom tuned!

That's flawed logic. Its more like a Blu Ray disc player in a world of DVDs. It offers a lot more to those who have the need or capability to utilize its advantages.

Ok, I'll bite. Can you list the tuner shops in the US that support and tune an Xede on a regular basis?

When I had mine, there were 3. Vishnu, Tuning Technologies, and Andrew's shop in GA. AMS did them infrequently and somewhat reluctantly from what I recall. Who else will tune them for those who are not do it yourselfers - and I'm not talking about Journeymen?

BTW, there's a guy named Goku on Socalevo.net who can't give his Xede away if you want to buy one.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

get the car retuned
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Ok, I'll bite. Can you list the tuner shops in the US that support and tune an Xede on a regular basis?

When I had mine, there were 3. Vishnu, Tuning Technologies, and Andrew's shop in GA. AMS did them infrequently and somewhat reluctantly from what I recall. Who else will tune them for those who are not do it yourselfers - and I'm not talking about Journeymen?

BTW, there's a guy named Goku on Socalevo.net who can't give his Xede away if you want to buy one.
Shoot, I'd help out anyone on here for free. Its not rocket science- Its tuning with offsets.

Its not too dissimilar to tuning with any other piggyback: DSMlink, ECU+, UTEC, eManage... If you have access to an AWD dyno with a WBO2 that can plot boost and fueling, you're golden.

How many people have self-tuned SAFCs? Its not that much harder, really.
The biggest thing you need that will give you feedback is a dyno. Read the Vishnu howto and watch your car on the dyno as you tune. The starter maps are a good guide.

If the boost is too high, reduce it. If the fueling is too rich, add fuel in, if the car has an event at 6000rpm, try pulling the timing a degree just before and during that point.

Anyone that owns a shop and can figure out something complicated like an AEM EMS should be able to tackle an XEDE in their sleep.

Some shops won't tune other brands because they simply don't want to, which is lame, IMO. The dyno will let you know if you're screwing up. If the shop operator has even basic understanding of fueling, timing, boost, and Windows, I don't understand how it can be any easier.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you fall of the horse get up and try again
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Shoot, I'd help out anyone on here for free. Its not rocket science- Its tuning with offsets.

Its not too dissimilar to tuning with any other piggyback: DSMlink, ECU+, UTEC, eManage... If you have access to an AWD dyno with a WBO2 that can plot boost and fueling, you're golden.

How many people have self-tuned SAFCs? Its not that much harder, really.
The biggest thing you need that will give you feedback is a dyno. Read the Vishnu howto and watch your car on the dyno as you tune. The starter maps are a good guide.

If the boost is too high, reduce it. If the fueling is too rich, add fuel in, if the car has an event at 6000rpm, try pulling the timing a degree just before and during that point.

Anyone that owns a shop and can figure out something complicated like an AEM EMS should be able to tackle an XEDE in their sleep.

Some shops won't tune other brands because they simply don't want to, which is lame, IMO. The dyno will let you know if you're screwing up. If the shop operator has even basic understanding of fueling, timing, boost, and Windows, I don't understand how it can be any easier.
Shops won't tune them because of the economics. They can sell a SAFC, or AEM AND the tune. Vishnu won't let anyone else sell the units with the exception of maybe Dyno4mance.

The analogy is the Windows/Apple battle. Shiv wouldn't give up distribution or discount units for re-sale and now it's too late (I wonder how long his exclusive with Xede Australia is 'cause this could change...).

There's no upside for a shop to tune an Xede and the average joe won't risk doing it EVEN if it's easy.

And that's why they are not widely used.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
Am I the only one that wants to see a dyno sheet?
YES............now go away.

Old Mar 1, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't to forget to check your compression, and also check for boost leaks.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bdking57
I had a major issue with my car before too.. mustang dyno with full turboback etc and dynoed 186whp on a mustang dyno. I just started modding everything till I fixed the issue.

The problem was when the cam gears were installed.. something went wrong. The belts were off a tooth. I switched back to kevlar belts, stock gears and added cams an gained 100whp! bottom line cam gears suck... Its dumb to even mess with them.
I'd say it's a little more dumb to just keep modding with out understanding/fixing the issue. You could have just as easily been off a tooth on stock gears. User error is not the parts fault.