Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

KAAZ and other REAR Diffs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2007, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KAAZ and other REAR Diffs

I have a terrible inside rear wheel-spin problem in my 2003 EVO when cornering on r-compound tires.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if the Kaaz is worth trying or if there's a different solution.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Bump i would like to get some more info on kaaz diff as well.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 09:21 AM

J,

Are you having the same problem? I had the rear diff rebuilt by Road Race Chassis and my inside rear still lights up big time (people almost can't see through the smoke ).
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
What type of racing are you doing?
What kind of power are you making?
What is your suspension set-up? (bars, shocks, springs, etc)
Does your car 3-wheel alot around sharp corners?
When RR "rebuilt" it, did they rebuild it to factory specs or did they modify/customize the LSD engagement to make it stronger?

Stiffer front sway bar or stiffer front springs might help. It will keep the front outside tire from compressing too much and pulling up the inside rear. Also a softer rear sway bar would give similar results. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aaron Bitterman
J,

Are you having the same problem? I had the rear diff rebuilt by Road Race Chassis and my inside rear still lights up big time (people almost can't see through the smoke ).
No i dont have the same problem i just wanted some more info on it. I really want to see how you slove this problem to.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 09:14 AM

I'm making stock power (271 fwhp), Moton Club Sport, big rear bar, heavy spring rates. Yes it 3-wheels.

No, they just rebuilt it without customizing the LSD engagement. If I get the stock LSD customized, will that provide a SIGNIFICANTLY more amout of lockup?

I don't need the lockup to happen earlier, I need the total amount of grip in the clutch to be greater. My fear is that if I have the stock diff rebuilt it may lock up earlier, but won't lock up harder.

What do you think?

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
What type of racing are you doing?
What kind of power are you making?
What is your suspension set-up? (bars, shocks, springs, etc)
Does your car 3-wheel alot around sharp corners?
When RR "rebuilt" it, did they rebuild it to factory specs or did they modify/customize the LSD engagement to make it stronger?

Stiffer front sway bar or stiffer front springs might help. It will keep the front outside tire from compressing too much and pulling up the inside rear. Also a softer rear sway bar would give similar results. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Mar 5, 2007, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
A KAAZ or Cusco rear diff would probably help some. For alot less $ you can also have your stocker rebuilt and made "stiffer". I've talked with Jon at TRE about doing this and I think he said it was around $500. Give him a call to clarify whether it will make it lock harder or just sooner. I believe he can modify both. Too tight of a rear LSD on accelleration can make you push more on corner exit, though.

Now on to the real issue. With stock power and R-comp tires your car really should NOT be smoking the inside rear tire. Maybe a little slip exiting the corner, but nothing like what you described. Did you have someone set up your suspension or are you working on it yourself? You may need to make some changes to get more weight transferred to the inside rear (although I think it is almost impossible to make it ALWAYS stay down). Look into stiffer front bar, softer rear bar, stiffer front springs, raising front ride height.

I am by no means a suspension expert, so these are JMHO.

EVOlutionary