Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost gauge install... ahhh!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2003, 07:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry boost gauge install... ahhh!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I feel like an idiot, can't get the wiring right with my boost gauge. First off I have a Greddy electronic boost gauge, all the hoses are installed properly under the hood, yesterday I followed the guide on how to install a Defi boost gauge while using the red wire from the radio harness as the power and using the cigarette lighter wires to run the rest, got it all installed and when I started the car I tried to see what would happen when I dimmed the lights in the dash, whenever I dimmed the dash lights up or down this would change the value of boost shown by the gauge, I didn't like this at all. Can anyone help me out? My wires are the same colors as the Defi wires, red, black, orange, white. Also what is the best wire to tap into for hardwiring a Valentine1. Dude I hate trying wire after wire, to top it all off the lightbulb in my tester blew out today.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 08:19 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please refer to this for wiring info:

https://www.evolutionm.net/features/...rojectevo/24/3

Mark

Last edited by KK; Jul 7, 2003 at 07:05 AM.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

i just got the defi bf boost gauge and control unit 2, and was thinking of installing it tonight, i was wondering if anyone has installed defi. on thier car if they needed extra wire to hook up the unit to power. i read the how to that kk linked. but i don't want to start parting everything apart if i need to get more wire, like i am wondering what supplies i will need other than tools themselvers.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

The Defi kit comes with Everything you need to install the gauge. I got mine installed last night. VERY NICE looking gauge. And above all, the kit is complete! You don't have to splice wire because the kit comes with materials that allow you to tap into a wire without splicing it. It also comes with all the hoses, wires, a pod, double sided tape, and miscallaneous material to install the gauge easily.

ENJOY
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

the wire to the radio is causing the trouble. Find something that is on when the lights are on but isn't affected by the dimmer. The taillights perhaps. Not brakelights. Or the parking lights. Not sure on the power so don't pop your gauge.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The light that illuminates the cig. lighter surround worked for me.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just curious has anyone else lost functionality of cig lighter after their install?
Old Aug 25, 2003, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

has anyone tried to run it to the fuse box? If so, what did you tap?

Just curious, because I looked at how RIPP installed the boost gauge on my galant and they tapped all the gauges into the fuse box.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Can someone Please help with this topic about getting the power source to the fuse box. I will be isntalling my autometer boost gauge tonight and I need to know. I hear everyone talking about these different power sources, but where exactly are they?

Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Re: boost gauge install... ahhh!!!

Originally posted by mitsuorder
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I feel like an idiot, can't get the wiring right with my boost gauge. First off I have a Greddy electronic boost gauge, all the hoses are installed properly under the hood, yesterday I followed the guide on how to install a Defi boost gauge while using the red wire from the radio harness as the power and using the cigarette lighter wires to run the rest, got it all installed and when I started the car I tried to see what would happen when I dimmed the lights in the dash, whenever I dimmed the dash lights up or down this would change the value of boost shown by the gauge, I didn't like this at all. Can anyone help me out? My wires are the same colors as the Defi wires, red, black, orange, white. Also what is the best wire to tap into for hardwiring a Valentine1. Dude I hate trying wire after wire, to top it all off the lightbulb in my tester blew out today.
I found this site http://www.clubrx.org/manuals/greddymanuals.htm they have instructions for the Greddy gauges...

Good luck
Old Aug 30, 2003, 05:21 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Obsoleteasian
i just got the defi bf boost gauge and control unit 2, and was thinking of installing it tonight, i was wondering if anyone has installed defi. on thier car if they needed extra wire to hook up the unit to power. i read the how to that kk linked. but i don't want to start parting everything apart if i need to get more wire, like i am wondering what supplies i will need other than tools themselvers.
Where did you get the Defi from? I am looking for a source to purchase one.

thanks,
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SuperchargedGTZ
Can someone Please help with this topic about getting the power source to the fuse box. I will be isntalling my autometer boost gauge tonight and I need to know. I hear everyone talking about these different power sources, but where exactly are they?

Thanks
The autometer should be a piece of cake, especially if its just a simple mechanical boost gauge unit. I think the Autometer cobalt is electronic though, and I am not certain what kind of conections it requires.

For a simple autometer install, I always buy a two conducter male/female connector from radio shack or an auto parts store with tails (red/power fused), and build a set of longer wires that can be installed under your dash, and then connected to your gauge.This allows you to easily unhook the gauge power if need be at a later date, and also allows you to test the power at the connector before attaching it to your gauge. You should have a Volt meter to do the job.

One wire tied directy to a ground lug to the body, and the other to a 12v source like the lighter lamp should work well.

Defi's, and other electronic gauges/controllers require a little more work,with constant power required to ensure the threshold settings, and other programmable data isn't lost when the car is turned off. The clock is usually an excellent source for constant power as it remains on at all times. Be careful not to use the CV power for the gauge lamp or it may drain your battery and leave you with a surprise!

N10S

Last edited by N10S; Aug 30, 2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jfh

Where did you get the Defi from? I am looking for a source to purchase one.

thanks,
I would be interested as well. I have been looking for a defi boost gauge for a while and SPI has been back-ordered for what seems like months! All the vendors are willing to let you auto order the gauges, then let you sit while they wait for the gauges to come from SPI......who is also waiting!! Very frustrating!!

Anybody have a simple black-faced Dgauge they want to sell? Oops sorry for OT but...........

N10S
Old Aug 30, 2003, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone interested on a set of brand new defi link control unit 2 and BF boost gauge?
Purchase 3 sets, but just need 2 sets. So, I have an extra set looking for sale. Asking price is $340 shipped. PM me if interested.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

i have a little off topic question for a us lancer, for a regular mech. greddy gauge, doesnt the vac. line for boost reading run from the Throttle Body instead of the FPR???? im a little confused.....or is this just for the defi systerm

help

Cory

Quick Reply: boost gauge install... ahhh!!!