Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

turbo cool down

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel confident in the fact that my turbo is safe with water-cooled bearing. I don't think it will see a temperature where oil coking can occur unless I beat the **** out of it right before I shut off the motor.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:31 PM

yeah i agree, if u r a somewhat conservative driver, everything will fine.. but if u like to take it to the limit, just let the car cool off for 1-3 mins.. or another idea would be to drive conservatively a couple of miles b4 reaching ur destination. THis way u get the adrenaline pumping but dont blow out ur turbo ^^
Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:36 PM

yeah i agree, if u r a somewhat conservative driver, everything will fine.. but if u like to take it to the limit, just let the car cool off for 1-3 mins.. or another idea would be to drive conservatively a couple of miles b4 reaching ur destination. THis way u get the adrenaline pumping but dont blow out ur turbo ^^
Old Feb 3, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

if i was doing more brisk driving with 4k shifts then atleast a minute cooling period. but i'll only do 30 second cooling if i have a chance to do some slow 20-30 mph slow driving for a few minutes at the end of my trip.... heres something i've been told, its more important for cooling period when the weather is cold then if its hot.
Old Feb 4, 2004, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Mate, my advice is don’t bother with a TT. If you are really worried that you may cause damage to the turbo then I would take the last few miles steady, try and stay off boost and maybe use a higher gear. This way the whole engine will have chance to cool down and you will maintain the air flow over the rad/oil cooler. Also what if the fan(s) stop for some reason? You run the risk of blowing the whole engine because you are bone idle (no offence, just putting my point across). This is the tried and tested means of cooling the engine/turbo down and works for ALL cars. How many times have you seen a rally car with a TT? If it’s good enough for the, it’s good enough for me!