Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo ECU or AFC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2003, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question evo ECU or AFC?

Hey I am a little confused about the function of the Super AFC for the evo...Does it basically override the ECU instructions and create more power since it makes the car run less rich? And if so, what would happen if the AFC was installed and I later decided to get the new ECU that Mitsu is supposedly releasing soon? Would the new ECU do everything that the AFC would do, making the AFC useless?....Any comments would be appreciated .
Old Jun 3, 2003, 03:14 AM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 3, 2003, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

the afc is a piggy back unit that modifies the signal to the ecu. it then can adjust the fuel curve +50/-50. the ecu just thinks that normal operations are occuring. the afc basically fools the ecu
Old Jun 3, 2003, 08:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Basically it fools the ECU by modifying the signals that it receives.. Depending on the type of ECU upgrade made, the AFC could have some limited value for adjusting things, but to a more minor extent. The truth is if you can keep everything in the ECU, your much better off, but we have yet to see anything that really suits that purpose. A flash is a good alternative if you want to plug it and forget it, however a reflash is only useful if its been matched to your modifications, otherwise you won't be getting the most out of it. A replacement programmable ECU is the "Ultimate hardware" but its overkill for most since once its tuned, its unlikely it would be re-tuned.

The one thing I would like to understand more clearly is how much control the boost solenoid has from the ECU, if it only controls a high/low setting, or it can control how much boost alont with other things.. If it has that level of control, and it can be adjusted, then an ECU flash tailored (Dyno proven) to your mods from a local tuner is probably your best bet.. The dyno and programming time would be well worth it at that point, and its more stealthy and least likely to raise a red-flag at the dealer.. anything bolt-on is easier to detect..
Old Jun 3, 2003, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

An afc you can tuned yourself anytime you want. This is good when you decide to make changes in your set up and don't have to rely/pay "someone else" to make the adjustments for you. The ecu on the other hand will be something to look at if it makes timing adjustments to get rid of the damn dip at 5500rpm. I'm sure the ecu will raise the boost but hopefully the timing along with it. This is something that the afc can't do. The ecu along with the afc might make good power if the ecu is still running rich. I have a feeling the ecu upgrade is going to do nothing more than what a mbc can do for less than $100. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Stinkapuss; Jun 3, 2003 at 09:33 AM.