Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

developed a 5th gear grind today!!! help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did this with the ACT with street disc but I adjusted the pedal engagement INWARD actually and added GM Synchromesh and it shifts great....wierd huh lol?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for more answers
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I too have the fifth gear grind. From what hear sometimes it is worse after Mistu works on it. So I left it alone. It only happens to me when I am above 5k as well. I found if you just delay your shift a little bit it doesn't seem to do it instead of slamming 5th.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

^^ This makes no sense.
Mitsu will cover any work they do on your car if it's still warrantied.
So what if the effed up and got back a worse tranny...Just give it back to them until they fix it right.
Heck, drive their free loaner car until you get your car back from them, instead of driving around with a bad syncro that will just get worse.

Mitsu fixed my 5th gear grind at 4500 miles. Got my car back the next day.
Have 50K+ miles now with no issues.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

+1 for bg, although I had good results with redline as well.

you could always call shep
Old Mar 8, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try using an aftermarket fluid. Shep recommends redline, TRE recommends BG II or the OEM 6 speed fluid. All 3 of these fluids are thinner than the OEM 5 speed fluid and help with synchronizer engagement. I have personally witnessed a 5th grind go away by using Penzoil/GM synchromesh (I recommend using BG over synchromesh though)
Old Mar 8, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

i started grinding a little in 5th & switched to bgII & is has not come back since.
(10k) miles since < i make about 460+whp so it's worth a shot.. i had gm syncromesh in before the change ...fyi
Old Mar 8, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for all your help guys.
i will first try to adjust the clutch so it grabs higher to see if that help.
if that does not fix it i will try thr bg2 fluid.

how high does your guys clutches grab at??

also about the warantee info. for sure the mbc and cams will void the warantee?
i'm just asking if i do have to get it waranteed what mods should i take off
Old Mar 8, 2007, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Dude DON'T use BG, the sh*t sucks.

I am using RP GL-5 when I go back together. This fluid is kinda sticky, tacky if you will, so it will cling to the sycro and help stop that gear fast for the fast shift

Don't beleive the BS about only use GL-4 fluid. If you read up on the 2 fluids, you will find that GL-5 is better because it has additives in it to help cushen the gears and protect them

I have been racing VW's for 9 years now and all of them use brass sycro as well and I have NEVER had gear grinding issues... and have ALWAYS used either AMSoil or RP GL-5

Last edited by vwjeff; Mar 8, 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vwjeff

I am using RP GL-5 when I go back together. This fluid is kinda sticky, tacky if you will, so it will cling to the sycro and help stop that gear fast for the fast shift

Don't beleive the BS about only use GL-4 fluid. If you read up on the 2 fluids, you will find that GL-5 is better because it has additives in it to help cushen the gears and protect them

I have been racing VW's for 9 years now and all of them use brass sycro as well and I have NEVER had gear grinding issues... and have ALWAYS used either AMSoil or RP GL-5
Hmmm. Interesting
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

what mitsu tranny have you tried bgII in???? it has worked well for me but i guess that doesn't count???? the problem is the synchros not the gears in dsm's & evo's so the thinner stuff would help it slide by better would it not???
Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

mines been grinding for years. when you shift to 5th you can double clutch lol and it wont grind haha.

or just let the rpms fall... ither or.. those are my solutions.. when i do my next round of mods with t67 i'll send my tranny of to get redone with a 4.11 also
Old Mar 9, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverofs
what mitsu tranny have you tried bgII in???? it has worked well for me but i guess that doesn't count???? the problem is the synchros not the gears in dsm's & evo's so the thinner stuff would help it slide by better would it not???
5 speed
Old Mar 9, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol BG II is tried and true in DSM and Evo transmissions. BG isn't that great but BG II is fully synethtic and has been used without complaint by thousands of Evo and DSM owners without any problems or grinds (even under road racing conditions). To say that "it sucks" is very ignorant. BTW, besides brass synchro's, the Evo transmission has nothing in common with a VW FWD tranny so this is irrelevant.

I doubt adjusting the clutch will help any. If it is just the 5th gear grinding, and none of the other gears, its highly likely that you have a synchronizer engagement problem (which is a common problem with the earlier 5 speeds). A good aftermarket fluid will help, or even the OEM 6 speed fluid (if you can afford to spend $80/gallon).

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Mar 9, 2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

03s have a tsb out for the syncros check your dealer, i had mine fixed @ only 14k miles and i really baby my car. No problems since and they put a clutch in while they were at it... and my car was modified.

Quick Reply: developed a 5th gear grind today!!! help