Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How bad did I mess up my head?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How bad did I mess up my head?

Well I was just installing my cams and somehow the torque wrench got messed up (operator error) One of the bolts that holds the cam caps on got broken off. Now its stuck in the head. What are my options for getting it fixed? The bolts seem really soft? Help!!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They have special drill bits that grab a broken off bolt like you are describing. These bits grab the bolt and unscrew them......otherwise you will have to drill it out and then retap it.........can be a PITA if it were in a hard place to shove a drill into....but you are in luck.....rigth on top of the motor.

I have never broken a bolt on an aluminum head so verify this before you go drilling it out.....I Have done this to an old mustang 289 block.....operator error! and this method worked like a charm for me.

Good Luck!

Here is a link to a variety of bits that might work out.....
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...&gobutton=find

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Mar 7, 2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: New Link
Old Mar 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thats what I was wondering. I knew they had tools like that but didnt know if they would work or if anyone had experience with this problem.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I've done it once on my old Mustang block and watched my friend do it on his toyota rock crawler.........just not on an aluminum head......I believe this will work just fine but make sure! I don't want to see you screwing it up even more thanks to me!

Good Luck!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I strongly suggest you pull the head before attempting any kind of reverse drill bit.

And if something else goes wrong at that point, you should probably just take it to a machine shop before you do some very expensive damage.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jbrown
I strongly suggest you pull the head before attempting any kind of reverse drill bit.

And if something else goes wrong at that point, you should probably just take it to a machine shop before you do some very expensive damage.
I really dont want to have to pull the head.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

if you can 100% gaurantee you can collect all the drill bit shavings, and not let any of it get into the oil, use a punch and hammer, make divet in the broken stud so you can drill a pilot hole for an easy-out, bolt extractor, reverse bit, or whatever you want to call it. Since it's an aluminum head, make sure you drill straight, and not very far into the stud. A bolt extractor should grab nicely, and the stud should come out rather easily since it hasn't seen extreme heat (like an exhaust header stud), and has been bathed in oil all it's life. You shouldn't have to pull the head if you take proper precautions.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

have a friend hold vacumm while you drill just a thought
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

If he torqued it down that tight i really doubt using a the tool that drills in and backs the bolt out is going to work. I would pull the head and have a Machine Shop do it. It just takes one shaving to tear a bearing apart.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:38 PM

If you screw up the hole threads, don't worry too much.

Go to autozone/carquest/napa and pick yourself up a helicoil kit of the right metric size. Its very easy to install and some machinists think its actually stronger than the original hole.

Again, watch those aluminum fragments!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Could just have the car towed to a mechanics or machine shop...
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by NIevo
Well I was just installing my cams and somehow the torque wrench got messed up (operator error) One of the bolts that holds the cam caps on got broken off. Now its stuck in the head. What are my options for getting it fixed? The bolts seem really soft? Help!!
If one of the cam gear caps stud broke it prob broke at the head of the bolt soo there should be alot of the bolt sticking out of the head once the cap is removed. if there is enough take a vise grip clamp it down and you should be able to jsut unscrew it using the vise grip
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:48 PM

DIY is always better from the sense that you won't make that mistake again.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 07:58 PM

make sure your centered, that is the most important thing. When drilling use a left handed drill bit, the vibration from drilling will start to loosen the bolt. Then use either a easy out, or anything similiar from there. If it doesnt move or you break the easy out off, your really in trouble then.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

POST SOME PICS, so we can give you better advice. Is there any length of the bolt exposed? Can you pull the rest of the cam cap off to get more of the bolt exposed? Worst cast scenario->weld a nut onto the bolt so you can unscrew it. If the bolt was broken off flush into the head, you can just drill it out, but you will have to worry about cleaning up the shavings.