Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS Cam Tests

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What other mods are on the EVO aside from the cams? Is the 272 272 set up the best one? How much?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah,... are they hollow like the stock ones?
Thx.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AMS
Just got off the dyno with the car. HKS 272in 272 ex results: 353whp! and 330ft-lbs of torque. This was with boost hitting 25psi dropping to 23-24 quickly and then tapering to 20psi at high RPM's. I ran it also at 21psi peak and then dropping to 20psi at top end. The peak HP was about the same but torque was about 300ft-lbs. We've noticed that it will push about another 1psi of boost compared to stock cams so now we can hold a solid 20psi up top compared to 19psi before. For what it's worth I can safely say that the cams are good for a solid 25hp more at the wheels and about 20ft-lbs of torque, this would equate to about 30hp at the crank and 25ft-lbs of torque.

When putting HKS 272/272 cams on a DSM you will notice a huge difference in idle quality compared to stock cams. Here I was very suprised that idle quality was only slightly worse and there was not even a hint of stumble or off-throttle coast down dying (you DSM'ers probably know that well ) I'm very impressed with them and we're going to the track here shortly to see the results. Dyno graphs will be up tomorrow.

Thanks,

Martin Musial
353WHP?....what are you smokin? I trust you have changed the standard rod bolts with ARP's running that sort of boost....I will choose not to believe you at this point....sounds like an un-truth to me
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by limey
353WHP?....what are you smokin? I trust you have changed the standard rod bolts with ARP's running that sort of boost....I will choose not to believe you at this point....sounds like an un-truth to me
I don't understand? What is not to believe?

Stock headbolts on 2G Eclipses seem good to around 26psi or so before they stretch.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Oh jeez, you said rod bolts, not head bolts.

Guys, this is a 4G63. It isn't some N/A Honda engine with a turbo slapped on with a rising rate FPR.

The 4G63T is built to take a lot of pressure. I have friends running over 450hp to the wheels on stock bottom end 4G63Ts.

350hp isn't going to be an issue. 400hp isn't going to be an issue.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Just to verify... we got about the same results... HKS cams are deffinatly the way to go.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:43 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

We make 450whp on stock 1G and 2G motors. If you don't believe us I can show dyno sheet after dyno sheet and time slips. My personal Eagle Talon puts down a tad over 450whp on stock internal 2G motor and if anyone in the Chicagoland area wants to come down and inspect it or go for a ride in it let me know and I'll be happy to demonstrate. For what it's worth one of my mechanics (Adam Dubienczuk who now runs the EVO 2 drag car) used to run low to mid 11's in his Galant VR4 (heavy car)on a stock internal motor and a 50shot of nitrous and that motor is still running today in a different car. Proper tuning and smart mods will keep you motor together. If you think about it rod strength has more to do with handling torque/power than rod bolts since the power stroke puts the rods under compressive stress rather than tensile stress (on the exhaust stroke). Enough about engine dynamics since I can talk about that for hours, but I hope I got my point across.

If you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer them but please keep the conversation respectful (and don't tell me I'm smokin' something) since I'm not some punk who read some stuff on the internet from some 'guy' who built a 900hp daily driven Honda and now I know everything. Not bragging here but just to let you know where I come from; I have a Mechanical Engineering degree, I was captain of our Formula SAE team at school for two years (we built a car from scratch around a motorcycle engine), I've been to countless engine design/performance seminars/classes, I've designed a camshaft for a turbocharged application that performed so well an editor for a Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords happened to be on hand for the dyno test and wrote an article on it (August 2001 issue, p 262), I've worked with turbo companies to test turbo's, ect..
Again I have no reason to lie and most of the things I sell I either test on the dyno or prove at the track.

Regards,

Martin
Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:50 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
Oh yeah,... are they hollow like the stock ones?
Thx.
No they are not.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RMRBlair
Just to verify... we got about the same results... HKS cams are deffinatly the way to go.
Could you share the results ?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

What other upgrades are ESSENTIAL with the HKS cams?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Whats not to believe? High lift cams with over 20 psi of boost? That should make at LEAST 350 whp with an FMIC. Are you newbie or something?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
What other upgrades are ESSENTIAL with the HKS cams?
I'd get the cams after doing the usual exhaust, blow off valve, boost controller, and fuel controller mods.

However, I have no doubt that the cams will have a big affect even on a 100% bone stock car.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Holy crap, nice 1/4 mile time.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Alright...good numbers! What is your price on a set of 264 / 272 ?

Interested in buying.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

AMS,

Did you test the 264 cams yet or just 272? I was thinking of streetability and idle so the 264's would be more suitable. Did you have the cam gears on there as well? What mods do you have on your Evo to run 12.00 @113?

Quick Reply: HKS Cam Tests