Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just received my Carrillo Rods and Ross Pistons

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently waiting on my Mahle pistons and I got the Carrillo rods already. I will find out as soon as th epistons get here. With racing season going on, they have been on back order for awhile.
Old May 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by althemean
I am currently waiting on my Mahle pistons and I got the Carrillo rods already. I will find out as soon as th epistons get here. With racing season going on, they have been on back order for awhile.
That is the setup I have and I am still .....trying to find someone to build my motor, two places will not do it so far.
Old May 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

get that **** together son!
Old May 15, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JAM can get custom venoila pistons cut to their specifications. JAM is one of the best 4G63 machine shops in the world, ask them what they think about what pistons are best. They will tell you that they find more irregularities in Ross pistons than any other manufacturer. They recommend JE or Wiseco over Ross, but who knows. I think they prefer venoila pistons over Wiseco and JE, but they are very expensive I believe.
Old May 15, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tarmacisback69
get that **** together son!
I hope to very soon
Old May 15, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WOT
mahle manufactures a majority of the pistons for f1.....

are there any engines spinning J&E pistons over 20k in a f1 engine? not that i am aware of.

mahle has the largest design group assigned to solely designing pistons, over 200engineers....

even though their street piston isnt given the same attention to detail, i would use them over a ross or J&E any day of the week.

when we would run ross pistons in our engines in on the dyno for the nissan gtp & gto engines, the piston pin boss of the piston would crack after brk-in & ps checks. that never happened with cosworth or mahle pistons. the ross pistons never failed, they would just crack.

btw, those ancient 2v 3.0L v6's would pump out a restricted 1300-1400hp on 100octane @ the time.

a company i worked for used J&E's, they are alright, but they shouldnt be considered the piston poster child.

does your paycheck have J&E printed on it anywhere?
I agree that Mahle can manufacture very good pistons. Unfortunately, the engineers and manufacturing facilities used to produce their F1 pistons are completely different than those of their off-the-shelf pistons. Try to order custom Mahle pistons, good luck!

I'm not aware of any JE pistons in F1 engines, but know they are producing parts for ALMS P2 racecars. Those engines are very impressive.
Old May 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DS-03evo
I was told they are junk by 2 big shops....I still do not believe it though
Maybe you have heard of 1 of the big shops that i used to work for, Honda? we used mahle pistons with good success.

here is a line taken out of mahle.com

In this year's Formula 1, eight of eleven teams rely on motorsport components from MAHLE.

i feel sorry for the guy who cant find a shop to assemble his motor with the mahle pistons. too bad you werent local, i would assemble it for you.

i beleive 94awdturbo somthing or other runs mahle pistons with great success in his evo engine.
Old May 15, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Good choice, but if were me I would just buy a built shortblock from Buschur. His 8 sec car, Sheps 7second car, Al's car etc etc. Forget going local I would just stick with one of the best and for 3K what more could you ask for.
Old May 15, 2007, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I know we like to talk about the Evo shops we are all familiar with, but there are organizations that operate on a level that most Evo shops can't compare to.
Old May 15, 2007, 04:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasil
Good choice, but if were me I would just buy a built shortblock from Buschur. His 8 sec car, Sheps 7second car, Al's car etc etc. Forget going local I would just stick with one of the best and for 3K what more could you ask for.
Old May 15, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
The only problem with this is if no one ever experiments with other setups..how will we ever get any decent reviews of other products? My main reason for not going with the crowd.
Old May 15, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WOT
Maybe you have heard of 1 of the big shops that i used to work for, Honda? we used mahle pistons with good success.

here is a line taken out of mahle.com

In this year's Formula 1, eight of eleven teams rely on motorsport components from MAHLE.

i feel sorry for the guy who cant find a shop to assemble his motor with the mahle pistons. too bad you werent local, i would assemble it for you.

i beleive 94awdturbo somthing or other runs mahle pistons with great success in his evo engine.
Thanks for the info.

I can understand, if a shop will only build a motor using there components....that is fine.

To tell me the parts I have are made in China and are junk, is wrong. All they need to tell me, is they will only build it with there own stroker kit.

Last edited by DS-03evo; May 15, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 15, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
I know we like to talk about the Evo shops we are all familiar with, but there are organizations that operate on a level that most Evo shops can't compare to.
I agree 100000000000% that's not the point. The point is why buy x brand pistons and y brand rods take it to a local machine shop that does who knows how many 4g63 engines and spend just as much as you would buying a Buschur Stage 3 2.0?

All IMO
Old May 15, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by althemean
The only problem with this is if no one ever experiments with other setups..how will we ever get any decent reviews of other products? My main reason for not going with the crowd.
We could go back and forth all day. I think many import enthusiasts have a inherent urge to be different. Just a urge to be the first or have the latest etc. I like to buy what is proven.....I don't want to be a guinea pig especially with my money and time. If you don't mind taking the risk, spending the $$$$, or time that awesome and alot of fun too. Especially if you are doing the work yourself I'm sure anything by Wiseco, JE, Ross, Crower, Carillo, Mahle, Aries, CP etc etc are great. Assembly and tolerances are the double whammy.

I'm all for the maximum performance per dollar!!! I seem to be biased because I don't think anyone offers the reliability/performance Buschur does for the hard earned $$ spent just my opinion though.

Your right though different strokes for different folks in the end. We all have our favorites and someone has to be different it just won't be me Looking forward to updates.
Old May 15, 2007, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think what makes Buschur's motors so good is in the build, and not the specific parts.

I would imagine they could assemble a 2.0 with Carrillo rods, and Mahle pistons and it would be work just the same as using Crower rods, and JE pistons.

Quick Reply: Just received my Carrillo Rods and Ross Pistons