Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

6 Puck vs Twin disk Carbon. Lockout

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Puck vs Twin disk Carbon. Lockout

I was wondering if ya guys could help me understand how my 6puck South Bend Feramic clutch locks me out at 9500rpm when i shift fast and the Tilton twin disk i have coming wont lock me out? My 6 puck still holds my power level but when im slamming gears in at that rpm it will lock me out of 4th and 2nd gear Now ive been told that multi disk clutches allow you to shift fast with no out lock out.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

im not an expert by any means with clutches but I would imagine the disk somehow disengages faster which allows you to shift faster.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim_Patterson
im not an expert by any means with clutches but I would imagine the disk somehow disengages faster which allows you to shift faster.
Yeah that would make sense. I need to go wake up Ted B i bet he has a very technical answer
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
FWIW-

I have been told that its because the heat generated at launch and slip "warps" the flywheel and clutch disk enough it doesnt fully disengage. A twin or triple have more disks taking the same load and even though the heat generated might be as high its being spread out over a greater amount of heat sink.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Paul you should make up some ricer out of this world questions to askLucas, just to see his response.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

I dont have the answer but 9500Rpm damn!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Paul just wants some mental support about spending so much on a clutch

All facts stated are good ones.

Hear are a few more.

-2 7.25in disc with no springs will stop much faster than your large sprung disc you have now allowing for much faster shifts.

- Pedal pressure is lighter on twins so it will releace better
- The Carbon Carbon will let us slip it to our harts content and not care
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did u try adjusting the clutch engagement a little higher. I had the same problem and after i adjusted it higher it was fine.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
His clutch is ADJ quite high. For a single disc it is one of the best shifting ones I have felt. Cant full power shift but just a small lift and its fine. Seems about over 8k is ware it locks out at.

We have never really slipped the clutch hard though on a 7k 20psi+ launch with the DR. I have a good feeling one good slip like that and the PP will be warped bad and she will really start locking out.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
In order to shift into a gear the gear in the transmission must be come to a halt. If the gear is slowed down but not stopped the gear will grind when engaged. If the gear cant be slowed down from spinning the gears will bounce off eachother. This is lockout. If the gear comes to a halt normal smooth engagement occurs.

The syncroniser is the guy who brings the spinning gear to a halt. Syncronisers are like brakes. gears themselves are quite easy to bring to a halt. But the problem comes as the clutch is connected to each gear. The syncroniser has to stop the spinning motion of the clutch as well. The clutch disc represents the heaviest spinning part that has to be stopped in order to shift. So the lighter the clutch is the easier it is for the syncro to stop it spinning. Twin discs are either very light material or smaller in diameter. Or both. Which makes them easier to stop. If the clutch disc is easy to stop the tranny shifts well. carbon discs are like feathers. very little weight to them. I dont think you can make a clutch that will shift better than a tilton carbon carbon. the discs are not only lightweight but small in diameter at 7.25 inches. The stock disc is 9.25 inches.

Improper clutch disengagement is also very critcal. When you push the clutch pedal to the floor the pressure plate releases its grab on the clutch disc. The clutch disc is now free to spin in between the pressuer plate and flywheel. This is important. If the pressure plate doesn't fully release its grab the clutch disc can drag making it very difficult for the syncroniser to bring it to a halt. If the disc drags it is in affect heavier than normal.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well explained... Its exactly why I got locked out after 7500 rpm on the ACT 3200ib 6 puck single...Hold lots of power ( 750 WHP) but it just wouldn't shift from 1s to 2nd and very slow shifts on the rest...I swore my earlier HKS twin disc shifts so much quicker but wouldn't hold the power...

Time to switch to a twin or triple disc...
Old Mar 9, 2007, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Well it makes sense thanks guys for the responses and yes Lucas i do need some mental support for the amount this clutch cost. I even went and saw my family counselor last night I could have went to vegas and spent $4000 and felt better
Old Mar 9, 2007, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim_Patterson
Paul you should make up some ricer out of this world questions to askLucas, just to see his response.
Nah i think the bright red graphics i showed up with did the job last week.
He did say that he cant wait for me to beat some of the big v8 guys with the red graphics on
Old Mar 9, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
He did say that he cant wait for me to beat some of the big v8 guys with the red graphics on
Yah as long as hes not driving it