Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Race Gas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
first off, yes its ok to run 104 if u have a good tune already. there is no reason to retune. second y would u run race gas without uping the boost? thats just silly. the only advantage it would have is garenteing that u will have no knock from low octane gas, thats about it. the reason we use race gas or a higher octane is to keep the knock down. thats all octane is, a measure of knock. the higher octane is more detonation resistant there for we can up the compression with more boost.
it was just a pondering question. i just wanted to know wat it would do me with my pump tune till i feel like spending $300 for another custom tune with the race gas and the wait for someone to come into town
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

once again Warr beats me to the answer with his lightning fast typing and responces.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Except for racing instances, because the race gas is cleaner and more efficient, it is safer and kinder on your internals. Otherwise, why don't we all use 83 octane?
Great point in terms of road racing. It is advisable to run a mix of race gas when road racing without touching the tune or boost in order to provide a wider margin of safety.

However, the question about 83oct is not relevant to this point. We don't run 83oct (not that it's available anyway), because it would be so poor that we wouldn't be able to run normal boost levels. 91 is as low as we can go without having to go ultra-conversvative on boost, AFR, and timing...
Evolved Member

Warrtalon- I'm considering a race gas custom tune. Would it make any difference to go highest possible unleaded like Torco 108, or VP Motorsport 109, vs like 110 leaded or whatever.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bvdawg13
it was just a pondering question. i just wanted to know wat it would do me with my pump tune till i feel like spending $300 for another custom tune with the race gas and the wait for someone to come into town
It would be great for you to get a 2nd custom tune for race gas on that 3065, so that you could switch maps with EcuFlash when it's time to race, but until you can get retuned, you can certainly crank the boost on race gas with that bad boy and make huge power gains...
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

did buschur tune your car? how much power do u make on pump gas and at what boost levels?
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by number 8
Warrtalon- I'm considering a race gas custom tune. Would it make any difference to go highest possible unleaded like Torco 108, or VP Motorsport 109, vs like 110 leaded or whatever.
Heck yeah. If you have access to and can afford to use VP 109, then by all means get that instead of 110. A separate race tune for straight VP109 (or even a mix) would be awesome and definitely preferable to leaded 110...
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It would be great for you to get a 2nd custom tune for race gas on that 3065, so that you could switch maps with EcuFlash when it's time to race, but until you can get retuned, you can certainly crank the boost on race gas with that bad boy and make huge power gains...
but heres my problem with that Warr, not everone has there own personal laptop they can hook up to there car when ever they want. that and u have to get that cable, so that can get expensive, but if u race a lot then its worth it. not if u have a weekend warrior and like to pick on some v8's at the local car shows.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Excellent! Thanks man!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

did buschur tune your car? how much power do u make on pump gas and at what boost levels?
Al tuned my car on Buschur's mustang, i was running 22psi and made 333hp 280tq on the ecu and 93 pump

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=3065+tuned
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

but heres my problem with that Warr, not everone has there own personal laptop they can hook up to there car when ever they want. that and u have to get that cable, so that can get expensive, but if u race a lot then its worth it. not if u have a weekend warrior and like to pick on some v8's at the local car shows.
I thought having a laptop was pretty much standard. We have 3 in our house, and you only need a barebones laptop anyway to use EcuFlash. The cable is $90, and the software is free - doesn't get much cheaper than that. If someone has no laptop, then they can borrow one unless they just don't know anyone that has one.

I flash people all the time with my laptop and cable for this very reason. I don't perform the tuning myself, but I upload their eflashes from tuners like Dynoflash after first downloading their stock ROM for them.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ah, you're confused, because not all race gas is the same. There is unleaded race gas, which is just a higher octane version of what you get at the pump, and there is leaded race gas, which is much different. The unleaded octanes are usually seen as 98/100/104 while leaded is usually 110/112/116. Race gas doesn't hurt injectors, but the leaded race gas does eventually foul out the o2 sensor and destroys the cat if you have one. Unleaded gas doesn't harm anything and has no disadvantage.

It's unlikely to find 110 "at the pump," because it's illegal for street use, so they usually make you pump it into a container in order to buy it. If they let you pump leaded race gas into the car, then they would get shutdown by the fire marshal.

There is a station here on Long Island that has Leaded 104 on the pump and the fire marshall runs it in his camaro, he is not shutting anyone down!!
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Al tuned my car on Buschur's mustang, i was running 22psi and made 333hp 280tq on the ecu and 93 pump

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=3065+tuned
thats good power, u and i both have to hit a dyno with some VP109 or go all out with some c16 and see what we make then.
Evolved Member

I've never heard of 104 leaded. It should be unleaded at that rating...
Evolved Member

The power gains are increased from just cranking the boost on your pump gas map (thats what i have been doing) but after some research though i have found that a retune is a must to really take advantage of the race gas, with the amount of fuel your ecu dumps from the boost increase you just aren't running enough timing advance to make huge power. Like i said though, i do it just for now until i get a retune on a AEM.

Quick Reply: Race Gas