Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Race Gas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If it's leaded 110, and I haven't yet heard of unleaded 110, then it's illegal to pump it straight into the vehicle.

Mr. Birdie, read the tutorial, man. This is all simple, basic stuff that you can find right above this forum in the EcuFlash forum. The white plug goes in the white receptacle next to the OBD-II port.

Yes, straight 100 on a daily basis would be safer than 91 + alky.

haha I know im lazy right now =P
Old Mar 10, 2007, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about AV GAS Avation gasoline here is a good article I found just dont know if it would be ok in a evo.
http://www.osbornauto.com/racing/race2avgas.htm
Old Mar 10, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Could I with the mods in my sig, and after I get tuned from Buschur on 93octane, run 104 octane and turn the boost up to say 25? without causing any problems?
Old Mar 10, 2007, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do not use jet fuel.

Bostinjuice, we've answered that so many times that I've lost count.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

A gas station very close to me has a pump that simply says "race gas". It's a Phillips 66, and as of this week it was priced at 4.99/gal (Chicagoland). I'd be very interested in tuning my car for race gas, as price of gas is no concern for me (evo is not my DD), and I want to make some more power. Anyone know if this is leaded or unleaded, and what octane rating? I wouldn't be opposed to running mixes.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Hehe Check out my new sig...
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kordyte
A gas station very close to me has a pump that simply says "race gas". It's a Phillips 66, and as of this week it was priced at 4.99/gal (Chicagoland). I'd be very interested in tuning my car for race gas, as price of gas is no concern for me (evo is not my DD), and I want to make some more power. Anyone know if this is leaded or unleaded, and what octane rating? I wouldn't be opposed to running mixes.
I'm 99% sure that if you ask the people at the gas station, they will have more of a clue than random people online who don't even live there. I could be wrong, though!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 99% sure that if you ask the people at the gas station, they will have more of a clue than random people online who don't even live there. I could be wrong, though!
Dude You're never wrong
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I figured I would get a response like that. When I drove by, I was in a terrible hurry and didn't have time to do so. I was just wondering if anyone knew based on the franchise and price. I'm in no hurry, my car is bone stock so I don't exactly want to double the price of my gas for no real good reason. I'll check next time I'm over there. Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

At any time, you can look up their phone number, then call and ask. Very simple...
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

hey warr, in NC wen i lived there you could pump 110 from a pump, but i had never used it, but my buddy with an evo was always using it, so not sure if it was leaded or unleaded, but it was from a pump
Old Mar 12, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

That's because half the country or more can't get anything higher than 91. We'd all use 93 if we could. You didn't know that some places only get 91 and that you should use the highest possible octane?
every gas station in my town...thats ab 7 gas stations have 93...i didnt know i should use the highest possible, thats why i started this thread
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bvdawg13
hey warr, in NC wen i lived there you could pump 110 from a pump, but i had never used it, but my buddy with an evo was always using it, so not sure if it was leaded or unleaded, but it was from a pump
Yes, it usually comes out of a pump, but it's illegal to pump it straight into the car at a gas station. I have done it at the track, but never at a public gas station has it been allowed, since leaded gas is not street legal.

evoIX15, I just can't fathom how you would not know to always use the highest octane possible. That BLOWS my mind...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

It's unlikely to find 110 "at the pump," because it's illegal for street use.

Shells here carry 110 and 104 street blaze...

bah.. pump it strait in your evo 5.59 and 4.10 a gallon..

Last edited by ONRAILS; Mar 13, 2007 at 12:00 AM. Reason: fixed quite
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

I know there is a difference and if you want ill take a picture of my pumping it in my car. lol not trying to be a jerk but ive been pumping it directly into my car(s) there for long time now along with many others and havent ever heard anything about it. Some of the older guys in the area told me they used to have to do that but that they changed it something heck i dont know. but thanks for the info.

Ah, you're confused, because not all race gas is the same. There is unleaded race gas, which is just a higher octane version of what you get at the pump, and there is leaded race gas, which is much different. The unleaded octanes are usually seen as 98/100/104 while leaded is usually 110/112/116. Race gas doesn't hurt injectors, but the leaded race gas does eventually foul out the o2 sensor and destroys the cat if you have one. Unleaded gas doesn't harm anything and has no disadvantage.

It's unlikely to find 110 "at the pump," because it's illegal for street use, so they usually make you pump it into a container in order to buy it. If they let you pump leaded race gas into the car, then they would get shutdown by the fire marshal.

Quick Reply: Race Gas