Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

comp cams 280

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is anyone running comp cams with the stock head? roughly is 280's too big for the stock engine management/head? or is 272's a better choice? please pm me with answer if u can
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Because flow data reveals the stock head is 'dead' above ~10.2mm lift.
There's good power to be extracted out of the stock head no doubt, but this certainly is relevant information. Kind of puts a new perspective on cars that are mostly stock running monster "big duration number" cams. Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That isn't going to be of benefit for a stock head.

Comp Cams and HKS cams do not share the same specs. Note: The timing of the Comp Cams is such that they will not make best power installed straight up.

FYI
when you say straight up do you refer to straight up as cams+tune or w/o?? thanks for the help.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think he means installing them like mine, with the stock cam gears.

I'd really like some shop input/dyno on this as far as what's left on the table without adjustable cam gears.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^same here. cant make a decision.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I think a step up from these would be jun 264's with springs... reason being is they should have the same top end power, while having more under the peak, better all around torque, and better idle.

That actually was my first choice. However, I decided in order to do everything I wanted to the car, I needed to comprimise.

I figure I'll just make up for it later on by bolting on a 50 trim kit lol
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Liqquid
I think he means installing them like mine, with the stock cam gears.

I'd really like some shop input/dyno on this as far as what's left on the table without adjustable cam gears.
There's nothing wrong with the Comp Cams 280s, but the 104/112 LCs are relatively advanced, and favor midrange torque as opposed to best power. Installing them straight up would be similar to installing a set of HKS cams at +3/+1.

One member here retarded the Comp Cams 280 intake to -4 as per my recommendation, and picked up ~20whp. A 400whp car should probably pick up around ~15whp with the same adjustment.

As for the lift (~11.0mm/10.4mm), it's ok. I just wanted to point out that a suitably ported head will be needed to take advantage of that.

Finally, if this cam set is ok for use with the stock valvetrain, this indicates the ramps are probably too mild for what I'd consider for a race application.

Just my thoughts, FWIW.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

There's nothing wrong with the Comp Cams 280s, but the 104/112 LCs are relatively advanced, and favor midrange torque as opposed to best power. Installing them straight up would be similar to installing a set of HKS cams at +3/+1.

One member here retarded the Comp Cams 280 intake to -4 as per my recommendation, and picked up ~20whp. A 400whp car should probably pick up around ~15whp with the same adjustment.

As for the lift (~11.0mm/10.4mm), it's ok. I just wanted to point out that a suitably ported head will be needed to take advantage of that.

Finally, if this cam set is ok for use with the stock valvetrain, this indicates the ramps are probably too mild for what I'd consider for a race application.

Just my thoughts, FWIW.
Thanks for the input... it's hard to believe that the way it is now actually favors midrange rather than the top end, but I've got nothing to compare it too, never rode in another car with these.

According to comp cams, the upgraded springs are recommended for high boost applications?! Are they afraid 35 psi will keep the valve from closing?

20 whp seems like alot for the price of cam gears, wonder how it would do on mine
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Liqquid
According to comp cams, the upgraded springs are recommended for high boost applications?! Are they afraid 35 psi will keep the valve from closing?

20 whp seems like alot for the price of cam gears, wonder how it would do on mine
I would be more concerned that using the factory springs would cause valvetrain deflection and fatigue, neither of which do anything for power and longevity.

As for what cam gears and different settings would do, that depends on the application. If I were using these cams and wanted best possible drag racing settings, I wouldn't hesitate in investing in a set of cam gears and doing something with that 104 deg Intake LC.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be more concerned that using the factory springs would cause valvetrain deflection and fatigue, neither of which do anything for power and longevity.

As for what cam gears and different settings would do, that depends on the application. If I were using these cams and wanted best possible drag racing settings, I wouldn't hesitate in investing in a set of cam gears and doing something with that 104 deg Intake LC.
Ted, what if I do -4 Int, 0 exhaust on my HKS 280's will I pick up anymore mid-range or top end???

Currently on my ~500 AWHP 50 trim set up my gears are set at +2 Int, 0 exhaust.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Ted when we set our AEM cam gears to -4 on the intake it gained us power but i noticed the power band moved a little bit to the right is that seem nornal?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
Hey Ted when we set our AEM cam gears to -4 on the intake it gained us power but i noticed the power band moved a little bit to the right is that seem nornal?
Do you have to go as far as -4 on the intake? Cant you just go -3 instead?
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

i have had mine for about a yr and love every min of them but still doin research on cam gears trying to find out best setting anything would be appreicated right now i have them at 0 0 thank
Old Mar 13, 2007, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Do you have to go as far as -4 on the intake? Cant you just go -3 instead?
With TED b advice and the cams we were running we went to -4 and gained 20whp messing with them anymore and we saw no gains. We messed with the intake cam and gained nothing.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
With TED b advice and the cams we were running we went to -4 and gained 20whp messing with them anymore and we saw no gains. We messed with the intake cam and gained nothing.
I see, so how does your power band feel below 3500 RPM's?

I wonder if I can benefit from this on my HKS 280's? or maybe it wont matter since my Turbo is pretty much maxxed out

Quick Reply: comp cams 280