Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3 stroker (prolong life or shorten)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not a big track guy, i would defentily go once just to see what i can do, but mostly i want a street machine, i wanna cruise at 70 on the highway and a 03 cobra with mods pull up next to me and do something stupid like stomp on it and thats when i roast his but.....lol thats what i want...600 horses.....
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

2.3 stroker.....high RPM's....makes the engine block prone of breaking or crack....(esp if its not balanced) i will stick with the same displacement if you want your engine to last.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Again, I am no expert, but from where I sit, you might be better off with a 2.3 or 2.4 liter stroker motor with a 35R or similar turbo and at least HKS 280 cams or bigger and a good AEM tune, if you're gonna want to be doing highway roll-ons against supercharged V-8's.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I don't know how you can feel lazy and relaxed at 155 mph! Incidentally, my Evo is still a stock longblocked basic modded street car, nothing special. What turbo are you running on your 2-Liter race car? Are you looking to go to a taller final drive or just change the 4th gear in your tranny?
Ive got the pt 67 t-4 ball bearing turbo kit made by Extreme Turbo Systems ( used to be the Horsepowerfreaks Turbo kit)
Here is a pic

Nah im good with my 4th gear because i can rev high if fastass goes with a 2.3 or 2.4 i know they make a taller 4th gear so he can trap higher speeds with his stroker

Last edited by Paul Nelson; Mar 11, 2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.sheptrans.com/details.php?sid=11
here is the link for the 4th gear upgrade
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Both the 2.0 and the 2.3 can easily make 700HP. However, you don't need 700HP to do what you're talking about. Dave B.'s car dynos at 540+ and runs low 10s. Curt Brown's car ran mid to lower 9s with a 2.0L and a 35R/37R setup. A 450HP car will be plenty to take care of a 03 Cobra at any speed. With a 450HP 35R 2.0L, I've seriously abused (from a 35MPH roll on pumpgas) an '03 Cobra that had 3" dual exhaust, computer chip, intake mods and an underdriven supercharger pulleys. You might want to find someone who has a modified car and take a day to ride in it and drive it, so you have some idea what you're talking about at different HP levels. Flights from Georgia to AMS in Chicago are not expensive. I bet you could get to Buschur's shop pretty cheaply as well. Either would be the best expenditure of money you could make to determine what mods you really will need.

You need to decide the use to which you intend to put your car most of the time to decide. Strokers give more torque lower in the power band, but are limited on RPM. The built 2.0L motors rev much higher (safely) than the stroker, but don't come onto full boost until higher in the RPM range (by 400 or so RPM). Strokers have a less favorable rod ratio, unless you get a long rod stroker, like Magnus sells. There are lots of variables to take into account. Do your reading and learn the pros and cons before you make a quick decision.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Both the 2.0 and the 2.3 can easily make 700HP. However, you don't need 700HP to do what you're talking about. Dave B.'s car dynos at 540+ and runs low 10s. Curt Brown's car ran mid to lower 9s with a 2.0L and a 35R/37R setup. A 450HP car will be plenty to take care of a 03 Cobra at any speed. With a 450HP 35R 2.0L, I've seriously abused (from a 35MPH roll on pumpgas) an '03 Cobra that had 3" dual exhaust, computer chip, intake mods and an underdriven supercharger pulleys. You might want to find someone who has a modified car and take a day to ride in it and drive it, so you have some idea what you're talking about at different HP levels. Flights from Georgia to AMS in Chicago are not expensive. I bet you could get to Buschur's shop pretty cheaply as well. Either would be the best expenditure of money you could make to determine what mods you really will need.

You need to decide the use to which you intend to put your car most of the time to decide. Strokers give more torque lower in the power band, but are limited on RPM. The built 2.0L motors rev much higher (safely) than the stroker, but don't come onto full boost until higher in the RPM range (by 400 or so RPM). Strokers have a less favorable rod ratio, unless you get a long rod stroker, like Magnus sells. There are lots of variables to take into account. Do your reading and learn the pros and cons before you make a quick decision.
I agree with you whole heartedly very well said
Ive had to learn my lessons the hard way and could have saved myself $15000 plus if i would have taken a trip out to Buschurs or AMS. Once you get into a EVO that has 500whp the sickness will begin lol I know i speak for almost all of us in these forums
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:23 AM
mjo

Originally Posted by fastassfourdoor
well that is something i will have to look into a little deeper, but what im concerned about is using the same block i currently have and strokin it..will that be ok or do i need a new block.....
I didn't want to use rebuild my original engine with only 10,000 miles on it so I bought a used block (I am keeping the original as a spare). I sent it to Jackson and they told me it was not usable. I then bought an engine out of a wreck and had it sent to JAM. They can tell you if it is OK to rebuild.

I love JAM, Carmella is great for any questions and won't give you any B.S. just to sell you something. She will spend all the time you need on the phone giving you the correct information. I have learned alot from her. I checked them out last year and couldn't find one bad word about them. They have many overseas clients and am only wondering why the guys here in the US haven't found them yet.

My parts are almost all in and we will see how it goes but it should be alot of fun.

Regards,
Maurice
Old Mar 15, 2007, 08:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fastassfourdoor
. . . but mostly i want a street machine...
Then you don't want or need a 42R, as well as other things you've mentioned.

It's very easy for someone who isn't up on things to arrive here and become bedazzled with fringe things that aren't very practical in the real world, where streetability, longevity, and expenses matter.

Be wise, be patient. Look before you leap.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ACCIDENTLY replied to this thread

It's an old one, i don't need a warning from the moderator's thank you

Last edited by big block ix; Jul 9, 2009 at 02:40 PM.