Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3 stroker (prolong life or shorten)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3 stroker (prolong life or shorten)

I would just like peoples input on getting a 2.3 stroker and 42r turbo kit on a IX with already 30k miles on the motor, do u guys think this will prolong the life of my motor or shorten the life even more, i have lots of miles on my car cuz it has been my daily driver for a year and a half, just got a 92 civic so now not as many miles will be put on it and now im thinking about stroker and turbo. My question is do u think this will shorten the lifespan of my engine or will it prolong it. If i have to many miles on it i was thinking of getting the cosworth stroker motor with the new block....Im just looking on ur guys input on this....thanks in advance
Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it all depands on the maintance you give it and how hard you push it
Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

well i would definetely stay up on the maintenance, and well i would definetely push it, but i mean within its limits, i dont think i would push it to far. But then again i dont exacley know for sure what "to far" is. It would only be driven on the weekends or just whenever i felt like drivin it...
Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on what your plans are with the car. If you want to drag race i would think that a 42r and a 2.3 would be a bad combo unless you could get a different 4th gear but with limited revs you are not taken full advantage of what the turbo is capable.

I would go 35r or pt 67 if i were you. you can look at Sharkbite post he made 703whp and 600plus ft lbs of torque with a evo 9 and 2.3.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

well that is something i will have to look into a little deeper, but what im concerned about is using the same block i currently have and strokin it..will that be ok or do i need a new block.....
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fastassfourdoor
I would just like peoples input on getting a 2.3 stroker and 42r turbo kit on a IX with already 30k miles on the motor, do u guys think this will prolong the life of my motor or shorten the life even more.....My question is do u think this will shorten the lifespan of my engine or will it prolong it. If i have to many miles on it i was thinking of getting the cosworth stroker motor with the new block....Im just looking on ur guys input on this....thanks in advance
If you go to a 2.3L stroker, you will need to do a total rebuild of your engine anyway. You will be having to install a new crankshaft, pistons & rings and connecting rods and bearings, head gasket, etc.. This rebuild is what is known as a stroker "short-block." If you want to know exactly what is included then go on the Jackson Auto Machine website and they list the various Evo engine rebuilds.

So with your engine rebuilt by one of the reputable shops that advertise on this forum, such as Buschur, AMS, or JAM, your "new" stroker motor should be better than your 30K mile factory engine. But you'll also need to get a new clutch to handle all the extra torque.

Edit: The 42R is a pretty serious power adder as far as I know. Maybe it has a bit much lag to be useful on the street. But, maybe someone else can give you a better idea. That turbo is capable of well over 700WHP and requires huge injectors, a special fuel delivery system, a standalone computer, and very agressive camshaft profiles, AFAIK.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 11, 2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastassfourdoor
well that is something i will have to look into a little deeper, but what im concerned about is using the same block i currently have and strokin it..will that be ok or do i need a new block.....
You could use the same block you have. Its just you will need a 100mm crank and some pistons. Ams or Buschur and Jackson Machine all have awesome kits for sale that would work with your setup. But be prepared to spend 12,000 plus on parts,machine work,tuning, and things that are unforeseen

Whats your goals? street? or drag? rally?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys, that info was very helpfull, im well aware of how much this thing can cost....very expensive, but i love it very much. i would be very happy with 600 horsepower, im not sure if i need to go 2.3 with that or what, if u guys can give some info on that, but im about to check out that jackson machine website u were talking about...thanks again guys..
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
pm me.

cb
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Just look at ifarted's sig above. He has a purpose built 2 liter drag racing setup putting out over 700 WHP. The 2 liter's higher rev capability is usually preferred for drag racing, while the strokers are nice for street and road racing becuase of their wider powerband.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Just look at ifarted's sig above. He has a purpose built 2 liter drag racing setup putting out over 700 WHP. The 2 liter's higher rev capability is usually preferred for drag racing, while the strokers are nice for street and road racing becuase of their wider powerband.
Hey sparky isnt there a 4th gear you can get that helps the 2.3 thru the 1/4 mile
lol i could just look at sheps website but im lazy
I know my aem log showed me at 9540rpms at 155mph which isnt to bad
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Our blocks are pretty stout, so I highly doubt you'll need a new one.

Why do you want a stroker?

I just get the impression that people automatically think a stroker is the only way you'll get power out of the 4g63 at that just isn't true. A stroker may not be as dramatic as you think. Don't sleep on the 2.0. You'd be in good hands if you went with JAM fwiw. Good luck.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

what is jam faw? please educate me, cuz ur right i was under the impression that i need stroker to get big power, i know of 2.0 with big power but i thought that it was extra hard on the motor or something...please educate...lol
Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ifarted2
Hey sparky isnt there a 4th gear you can get that helps the 2.3 thru the 1/4 mile
lol i could just look at sheps website but im lazy
I know my aem log showed me at 9540rpms at 155mph which isnt to bad
I don't know how you can feel lazy and relaxed at 155 mph! Incidentally, my Evo is still a stock longblocked basic modded street car, nothing special. What turbo are you running on your 2-Liter race car? Are you looking to go to a taller final drive or just change the 4th gear in your tranny?

Last edited by sparky; Mar 11, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

J.A.M.=Jackson Auto Machine. Whether you want stock displacement or a larger displacement, stroker motor depends on your intended application. What do you want to do with your car? Street driving or any particular type of racing?

Quick Reply: 2.3 stroker (prolong life or shorten)