Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Diesel fuel inside the OEM lifters???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

darn it, where is Zeus...

the diesel does two things during removal and install:

1 they use the diesel to clean any "tarnish" on the lifters as diesel fuel will help clean every thing and leave a thin residue of lubricant so that it does not dry out the seal inside the lifter. it is also readily available.

2 the diesel will act as a "catalyst" during start up. remember, these lifters are self adjusting. meaning the oil will take up the differences in lash adjustment during regular driving.

most people on here did the bleed down and reinstalled the lifters. i did also, BUT before actual start up, i just cranked the engine to get the oil pressure up BEFORE actual start up. once the oil pressure was brought up, it was fired and cams were broken in for about 20 minutes at about 1800rpm. we really dont need a long break in period because the cams are roller cams. only the cam caps are non roller and no force is applied there like on the lobes.

hope that helps a little.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

We need input from Buschur or AMS to see exactly what the pro 4G63 builders do to their cars.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
what do you mean by pass pass through? what passes more easily engine oil and good explanation on the diesel being thinner
i mean that the diesel, sinceit is thinner may be able to pass by the seal inside the lifter without rupturing it.

ie: take a plastic soda bottle and fill it with, say lard it will have alot of resistance when you compress the bottle and squeeze it out.

now take the same bottle and the same amount of force and try and squeeze out say, water this time.

it will be alot easier... like i said, just a thought not an answer....

i dont think any of that is needed though!
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

yeah we need imput from ams bushur racing jamm or any other 4g63 engine builder
i made this thread cause i dont want evo owners to be installing cams in an improper way i dont want people to ruin there lifters while doing cams as i did cause i was misinformed and its really annoying that you get lifter noise when doing a cam install it shouldnt happen..

where is ted b or zeus or timzcat???
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matyb
i mean that the diesel, sinceit is thinner may be able to pass by the seal inside the lifter without rupturing it.

ie: take a plastic soda bottle and fill it with, say lard it will have alot of resistance when you compress the bottle and squeeze it out.

now take the same bottle and the same amount of force and try and squeeze out say, water this time.

it will be alot easier... like i said, just a thought not an answer....

i dont think any of that is needed though!
but it makes sense
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

i'll put a message into david buschur to see if he'll come and put his input into this thread.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

I sent dave a PM we'll see what he says.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

ok lets see what he says i cant wait

also here is another part of the manual which says to install the lifters without spilling any diesel:

Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Wow someone read the service manual and after 3 years raised this issue?

It's a non-issue and no one does this procedure. Most people installing cams don't have a dirty lifter problem because the car has low miles, therefore there is no need for the diesel in the first place. Yes the procedure shown is correct and yes you leave clean diesel in the lifter when finished.

The reality is most people don't take the time to properly bleed all the lifters and often this is where the ticking starts. Over the 40 some odd times I have done cams, none have ever ticked on me afterwards from proper bleeding.

The proper procedure for bleeding lifters is to turn the lifter upside down and put the tool up through the center and let the oil run out. Pumping them may be fun to squirt oil out all over the place but it does not properly bleed the lifter.
When the lifter is empty it should compress freely.
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timzcat
Wow someone read the service manual and after 3 years raised this issue?

It's a non-issue and no one does this procedure. Most people installing cams don't have a dirty lifter problem because the car has low miles, therefore there is no need for the diesel in the first place. Yes the procedure shown is correct and yes you leave clean diesel in the lifter when finished.

The reality is most people don't take the time to properly bleed all the lifters and often this is where the ticking starts. Over the 40 some odd times I have done cams, none have ever ticked on me afterwards from proper bleeding.

The proper procedure for bleeding lifters is to turn the lifter upside down and put the tool up through the center and let the oil run out. Pumping them may be fun to squirt oil out all over the place but it does not properly bleed the lifter.
When the lifter is empty it should compress freely.
so why filling them up with diesel? is there any negative side to it if you dont do it? do you still need to do it?
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah we tried the diesel way and the way you said timzcat and what you posted worked much easier
Old Mar 13, 2007 | 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

The deisel is able to bleed out on istall because of ithih viscosity as opposed to oil which cannot. It is not necessary which is why Jackson Machine doesn't bother with it and I would guess every vendor on this never does it unless cleaning them.
My theory is that since you are cleaning them in the first place they leave it in there to clean the passages around the lifters on startup.

Naturally if you do this you will want to change the oil. With synthetic the lifters get far less dirty then convetional oils.
Old Mar 17, 2007 | 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

i like this info.. hrm.. i might want to try to do the cams on my own then.. but this info is very useful.. nice info timz.. thanx for all the info everyone
Old Mar 17, 2007 | 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Look at step #9 - it is a test to see if the plunger and check valve seals.

In the real world most people are not going to fool with this diesel cleaning business because some times it works and some times it doesn't. If you have bad lifters you replace them with new ones.

The reason for installing them immediately is to keep them free from contamination after cleaning.
Old Mar 18, 2007 | 05:39 PM

This thread is funny It has been said a few times in here why diesel is used and people still dont get it. Just because Buschur himself or AMS or whoever didnt come in and say it doesnt mean it isnt true.

I have always used fresh oil to bleed lifters, it works just fine. But hey, diesel works too. I would just rather grab a quart or oil off the shelf rather than go to the gas station and pump 50 cents worth of diesel into a container.

Quick Reply: Diesel fuel inside the OEM lifters???