Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Position Interlock-ECU Pin / Wire

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Clutch Position Interlock-ECU Pin / Wire

I have an '06 Evo RS IX.

I have searched under "launch limiter", "5000" and so on.

I want to tap the clutch position interlock at a pin / wire on the ECU.

This is the same input that sets the 5000 rpm limit with the clutch in, i.e the top switch.

I can't find this listed on the wiring diagram anywhere. Also lists of the ECU three connector pin out don't show it, at least by a name I recognize.

Some posts mention 3 switches, on my car there are only 2, there is a large plastic connector block in the center between the switches, but it has no wiring or plunger to it. My guess is that some people thought it was a switch also.

I want to use the top switch to drop out of cruise when I press the the clutch in.

The starter interlock will not work for this, it is normally closed, and both of the inputs are to ground.

I have seen "Pin 43" listed as this connection, but my wiring shows pin 43 as cam angle sensor on the ECU.

So the "Wire color" or "ECU pin number" would be a big help.

Thanks

Mitsuatb
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is pin 43. I swap this wire to pin 7 to use it with my AEM. Check the AEM section for my exact post in case this one off the top of my head is bollixed. The 2g used the upper switch to cancel the cruise control. In fact, that was it's only function. I would be very surprised if the EVO was not set up the same way. Do you know for a fact that it is not? Seems like it would dangerous. Wait a minute, is this because you have an RS and it didn't come with cruise, and you are adding something?

Off the top of my head, that upper switch is NO, but naturally it's NC if you consider the clutch to "normally" be in the up position. It is a pull to ground as well. Either way, it will work, even if you need a relay to invert it.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks

None of the US evos come with cruise.

I am adding an RF controled Rostra cruise unit.

I am puzzled because ECU pin 43 is shown as a cam angle sensor on the wiring diagram.

I will check again, perhaps something is wrong with the wiring diagram.

Or are you talking about pin 43 on an AEM system? My ECU is stock with no add ons.

Thanks

Mitsuatb
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

My AEM is PnP and uses the stock harness connectors. Perhaps the AEM labels them differently or something, I'm seeing the cam and crank sensors as 88 and 89, on a completely different connector. I hosted the AEM instructions file in case it helps, you've got mail.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Figured out why the wiring does not agree

Thanks for taking the time to reply and to host the instructions.

I read through them until I reached the diagram of the connector.

There are four connectors in your instructions.

My IX 2006 has only three.

Sucks, I hoped I could find the answer but the wiring is different on the IX.

Pin 98 is marked as "launch" on the GEM pinout that I found.

Hard to identify the correct wire without any accurate color code.

Still working on a way to probe it.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I missed the 06 IX part somehow, I'm a jackass.

You should be able to get the IX AEM instructions though, it's a free download (the AEM Demo, the instruction folder gets included). Might even be able to find it seperately. I don't have it in my folder, since AEM wasn't out yet for the 9 when I got it. That upper switch input has to be labeled on their diagrams, people are naturally going to want to use that for the 2step.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a good plan, but they don't make an IX AEM engine mangement product that has instructions listed.

I checked their website - no dice.

Still in the dark. could use some help.

Mitsuatb
Old Mar 18, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Clutch Position Pin - on ECM

I traced out the pin location.

I found an VIII diagram that showed how the circuit functioned and what the wire colors were.

I knew the pin had to change since the connectors changed but I figured that the wire color and circuit would be the same.

The wire was Light Green (LG).

I checked my connectors and only found three light green wires. I was able to document the one of them went to another system. So that left two to test.

The circuit works by applying 12V though a resistor in the ECM to the LG wire.

When the clutch is pressed the LG wire is connected to ground. This triggers the rev limiter and the fuel change.

I disconnected the battery and ECM and probed the pins with a Digtal Multi Meter.

Pin 21 on the first connector C49 went to ground every time I pressed the clutch-that was it.

Since the Rostra Cuise has a neutral safety switch that drops out cruise when it is grounded - that takes care of the clutch switch. No need to buy their clutch switch, you already have it at the ECM. Note the lower switch will not work because it is normally closed and breaks ground when pressed

So here is what I know by hands on work on a 2006 RS EVO.

*Note: This will be wrong on a 4 - connector ECM such as the VIII - Only applies to the 2006 IX. Might be only be true for an RS.

Brake light Hot - Green & Red

Brake light Cold - Green

VSS - Black & Yellow C51 Pin 80

Rpm - Green & White C50 Pin 45

Clutch Positon / Launch Control- Light Green C49 Pin 21
(Only LG wire on the connector)

Connectors from Left to right are (C49) (C50) (C51)

Keywords - Launch 5000 two-step cruise Rostra
Old Sep 2, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mitsuatb
Might be only be true for an RS.
I just found with my multimeter that C51 pin 88 is the Clutch Positon / Launch Control on my GSR! It is also light green. I used the method you did by pressing the clutch with the battery disconnected and the probe on the ecu pin and the other probe to ground.

Pin 21 was not even light green on C49, it was pink so it must be for something else.

I also double verified it by disconnecting the C51 from the ecu and placing the probe on the green wire at the clutch pedal position switch and the other other probe on pin 88, performing a continuity test. It is definitely the same wire.

The VSS appears to be the same as and I'm not using the tach wire so I'm inching closer to getting this installed.
The following users liked this post:
Wulfen (Sep 10, 2020)