Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur 3065 turbo makes 473whp

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur 3065 turbo makes 473whp

2006 Evo IX with 9000 miles
Stock MAF and ECU
Cosworth IX cams
Supertech springs/retainers
Snow Performance Alcohol injection kit
ACT Street clutch
780cc injectors
Buschur 3065 turbo
Buschur deluxe intercooler/intake/TBE (test pipe)
23psi (on the dyno, makes about 25psi on the road)
93 octane
Custom Dynoflash by Al

I have to say this turbo is more laggy than I expected. It hits very hard once it spools, and pulls like crazy.

Impressions after 400 miles:
The car is a blast to drive. It's very civil and easy to drive around town. Turbo doesn't begin to spool until after
4000rpm, so you can drive it like a Honda Civic if you like.

First gear acceleration is silly. I've never launched the car (ever) so I can't say what that's like. As soon as you pass 4500rpm,
the front of the car lifts and it just takes off. Redline comes very very fast, you have to watch the tach closely. Second gear lasts
a little longer, and that's when the car feels most torquey. I can spin the tires slightly in 2nd gear at WOT (stock tires).

The fun really starts in 3rd gear. The wastegate is pretty loud, and the car is very predictable in 3rd gear (less chance of spinning tires).
Redline comes up more slowly, and you can really wind the car out. 4th is very laggy if you don't shift from 3rd above 6500rpm. I do a lot of
highway cruising in 4th gear now due to the turbo lag.

The car cruises great in 5th gear, but you're dead meat if you ever try to pass someone at 70mph. The car just won't move at that rpm/speed.
4th gear is 100% necessary if you have to make ANY quick moves on the highway. You won't even hit any boost in 5th gear unless you're going 90+ mph.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the car. The cams are not lopey at all, beside the higher idle, you can't tell the car has cams. The ACT clutch is perfect for me.
It honestly doesn't feel much different from stock, but it holds flawlessly. The tune is dead-on. The final 3 pulls on the dyno made the exact same AFR and hp,
very consistent and repeatable.

Also, I was inspecting the Shop's work today, since I haven't had a chance to really look under the hood. Besides the excellent mechanical work they did,
I noticed a bunch of small things that really impressed me. They dremeled off some long threads from my t-bolt clamps (the ones I bought were 1/2" too big), and they
even replaced a white zip-tie with a black one (I ran out of black ones when I did my boost gauge, so I used a white one). There was no way they would have
needed to remove that tie, so they definitely replaced it just to clean up the engine bay. I know that sounds a little crazy, but it shows excellent attention to detail.

**3500 miles later, update. Went back to the stock IX BOV, the car is so driveable now it's ridiculous. Great setup, I'm 100% happy.

**Another note. I've read about some mini-batteries dying prematurely and not cranking well in cold weather. I've had the Buschur mini-batt on my car for about 9 months, and the thing cranks better than the stock batt. I let the car sit in my unheated garage for a month during the coldest part of this winter, and I didn't start the car at all during that time. When I went to fire it back up, I expected the batt to be a little weak, or maybe need a trickle charge. It fired right up, no problem. So far, I'm really happy with this battery.

Tuned by Al at the Shop in Norwalk, CT. The guys at the Shop were extremely
helpful and fast workers:

Last edited by bernardo; Jul 29, 2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's nice for 93+alky. C16 would get it over 500 I'm sure, but you may have even gotten closer to 500 if they didn't stop the pull so early.

So, why did they stop at 6500rpm? The line was still going up, and that turbo should continue making power to beyond 7500. Get back on the dyno and rock out!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Sick!

Love the 3065!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks about right to me good power!!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice...What exhaust manifold is that?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet Ride! Congrats on the Big HP #'S!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That should be the BR cast & coated manifold that comes with their 3065 kit.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

How come the graph stops at 6500? And shouldnt this turbo be putting down more power ?
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

SHARP!!! I thought you were waiting till spring. There is 6" of snow outside right now.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice numbers!!
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Very nice....I like Buschur stuff, not as much bling bling, but proven parts that make good HP.

Last edited by civicevo380; Mar 16, 2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: ..
Old Mar 16, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats mate about your car...

Your hp sounds insane...

Actually i saw your car 2 saturdays ago when i was at The Shop for my car...

Very nice setup, i might consider this turbo kit for mine also...
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It´s a very nice setup you have. I personally, after studying the pics, wonder how much of a restriction the factory 3"(?) MAF sensor is, given that the compressor inlet of the 3065 is a full 4 inches. I guess what I´m getting at is that given the inline stepdown in intake diameter before the turbo, whether an AEM EMS, or other speed density setup which eliminates the factory MAF sensor or a even some sort of MAF translator with a 3.5" GM MAF might not be a better option than a plain flash for extracting max power out of that turbo.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 16, 2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Why does the graph stop at 6500?

You should rev it out till 8k

Do you feel the extra lag is worth the additional power? Your car looks clean, but you only have 9k on your ix you need to drive more.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

I wish I was there when Al tuned my car, I'm not sure why they stopped at 6500rpm. I wound it out to about 7800rpm last night, and there's surely power being made right to redline.

Al wants me to take the car back down after driving it for a week or two, and he'll re-dyno it just to make sure everything continues to work right. If it's possible, I'll have him wind it right out on the dyno.

The hp numbers are right on track with what other 3065's have been making, I'm very happy with this result without an AEM. There is probably slightly more power to be had with AEM, but I'm very happy with the hp I got for "only" a $300 tune.

Yeah Leon, the weather outside isn't exactally good for driving the Evo right now. I basically drove it home from the Shop in the rain last night and put the Evo back in the garage. Don't worry, it'll be warm soon enough...

Quick Reply: Buschur 3065 turbo makes 473whp