Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cant decide on Trans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2007, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant decide on Trans

I'm having trouble deciding on whether to go with TRE or Shep. My trans grinds on up shifts. Its really bad going from 3rd to 4th. I've managed to get a 12.8 out of it slow shifting. Instead of replacing whats needed, I figured that I might as well do the whole thing to save myself down the road. My trans must be streetable and able to handle 11s with no problems (future plans)
Old Mar 19, 2007, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think TRE shut down, havent heard any news about them, but shep gives some good prices
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SPOOLEDTSiAWD
I'm having trouble deciding on whether to go with TRE or Shep. My trans grinds on up shifts. Its really bad going from 3rd to 4th. I've managed to get a 12.8 out of it slow shifting. Instead of replacing whats needed, I figured that I might as well do the whole thing to save myself down the road. My trans must be streetable and able to handle 11s with no problems (future plans)
Shep runs high 7s in his 1G DSM with a trans he built himself, so I am pretty sure anything he does for you will handle 11s with no problems. I just thrashed my Shep 5spd on the road course all weekend and didn't have a single hint of grinding or notchiness the whole weekend. I did 8 20-min sessions and was able to shift as fast as I wanted through every session without hesitation. Even after being on track for several laps when the tires, brakes, and engine were hot, the trans still performed exactly the same as my first lap.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Shep runs high 7s in his 1G DSM with a trans he built himself, so I am pretty sure anything he does for you will handle 11s with no problems. I just thrashed my Shep 5spd on the road course all weekend and didn't have a single hint of grinding or notchiness the whole weekend. I did 8 20-min sessions and was able to shift as fast as I wanted through every session without hesitation. Even after being on track for several laps when the tires, brakes, and engine were hot, the trans still performed exactly the same as my first lap.
Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Is it just the trans upgrade for $895 or did you have something else done?
Old Mar 19, 2007, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Basically just the regular upgrade, but he also optimized the gearing for road racing.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Basically just the regular upgrade, but he also optimized the gearing for road racing.
Reading his website....doesn't he just replace everything with new OEM parts?...I mean...are the new gears or synchros any stronger...or different?

Just wondering if it would be a good investment for some one who just has a notchy tranny like me.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

I'm also deciding to go with TRE or with Shepard, I talked to Shepard today about my problems and they seemed very knowledgeable and friendly, I have a problem with my center diff I believe, and he said that they will do the trans upgrade and look into my problem because on jackstands, my fronts spin evenly, but my rears slowly twitch and barely spin, obviously something WRONG! so i feel very assured giving my transmission to Shepard which I believe I will do very soon!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Sekula, you won't have a single worry, but remember that it's "Shepherd."
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

thanks , hopefully this weekend my buddy has time to take out everything and have it sit in his garage...i owe him my life with how much i have used my garage but yea,anyway...cant wait to see the shepErd rebuilt tranny and t-case!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could also do a Bushwacker trans. Looks to be the samething as sheps trannys, and its 50 less
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

well if you look closely, shep offers more work and also, shep has a very good reputation for rebuilding tranny's, buschur has a good reputation too, but i dont know about rebuilding tranny's.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sekula
thanks , hopefully this weekend my buddy has time to take out everything and have it sit in his garage...i owe him my life with how much i have used my garage but yea,anyway...cant wait to see the shepErd rebuilt tranny and t-case!
One more time...

S-H-E-P-H-E-R-D
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

o lol, wow, im retarded, i thought u were fixing the "a", alright, im gettin my rebuild guys by SHEPHERD
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Buschur or Shep! Both do a kick *** job and run killer times to back it up. You don't run 7's or 8's with a poorly built tranny.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2.3 Evo 8
Buschur or Shep! Both do a kick *** job and run killer times to back it up. You don't run 7's or 8's with a poorly built tranny.
AMEN

Quick Reply: Cant decide on Trans