Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Dynoed - RnR BB 50 trim & Machines Gone Wild Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynoed - RnR BB 50 trim & Machines Gone Wild Tuning

Greg from Machines Gone Wild was down here a week ago doing some awesome tuning...this dynograph is for an Evolution 8 he did. The owner wanted a street racer setup, quick spooling & great torque...Greg delivered! Tuned only on 90 octane pump gas...that's the highest octance available at the pump here

It Dynoed 402 whp & 364 ft.lbs torque @ 21 - 20psi

Mods:

RnR Equal-Length Manifold Kit
Precision Ball Bearing 50 trim, .63 AR exhaust housing.
2.3L Stroker Motor 9:1 comp.
GSC 280 intake & exhaust cams
3" Universal FMIC & 2.5 Intercooler piping
3" BLITZ Nur Spec Exhaust
AEM ems tuned by Greg @ MGW

Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

looks fantastic to me.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And here on the west coast of the USA, we complain about 91 oct.
Looks good!
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
looks fantastic to me.
It does? Maybe if this was on a stock 2.0, then yeah, but this is a stroker motor, yet the turbo still doesn't spool quickly. 4800 for peak torque at such low boost is not good for a stroker, and the peak torque is also weak for a stroker. i would be quite disappointed in this if I had spent money on a stroker and 50-trim. Then again, it is an RNR kit. As for only having 90oct, wouldn't the obvious choice be to then get alky? $500 for alky to gain tons more torque and HP or $3k for a stroker motor to get much less? YMTC...

So, you could remove the turbo kit, go back to the stock 2.0, remove the AEM EMS, add alky, and you would get:
- More torque
- Similar max whp
- 1000rpm earlier spool
- 0 credit card balance
- Higher reliability
- Less hassle

Nice!

Last edited by Warrtalon; Mar 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
It does? Maybe if this was on a stock 2.0, then yeah, but this is a stroker motor, yet the turbo still doesn't spool quickly. 4800 for peak torque at such low boost is not good for a stroker, and the peak torque is also weak for a stroker. i would be quite disappointed in this if I had spent money on a stroker and 50-trim. Then again, it is an RNR kit. As for only having 90oct, wouldn't the obvious choice be to then get alky? $500 for alky to gain tons more torque and HP or $3k for a stroker motor to get much less? YMTC...

So, you could remove the turbo kit, go back to the stock 2.0, remove the AEM EMS, add alky, and you would get:
- More torque
- Similar max whp
- 1000rpm earlier spool
- 0 credit card balance
- Higher reliability
- Less hassle

Nice!
for 20 psi on 90 octane that kicks the crap out of a stocker.

i say add some octane and boost and go nuckin futs!

the spool is slow for a 50trim on a 2.3l

Last edited by deadbeatrec; Mar 20, 2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

also, how was the knock count on 90 octane? because i know a stock evo calls for nothing less than 91 and the compression is 8.8:1 opposed to your 9:1
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

- More torque
- Similar max whp
- 1000rpm earlier spool
- 0 credit card balance
- Higher reliability
- Less hassle

Nice!
Hey Warr…

I know you hate RnR, no problem man, to each is his own.

As I stated earlier, the owner wanted a straight pump gas tune which usually means pump gas ONLY, no meth, no race gas, equaling less hassle to check, mix & add meth to the car. I totally agree with you though, adding meth would be great, more power, more torque, more boost, better spool…it was recommended, but the owner didn’t want it. If it where my car it would be on it for sure.

We all know with any larger turbo, 50 trim up you will experience slower spool as you noticed on the graph…but trust me on the road it’s not even noticeable.

IMHO I think it’s pretty good for only 20-21 psi on 90 oct. pump gas and a pretty conservative tune…I have seen posts with similar 50 trim kits and they all seem in sync with each other power/torque wise.

Cool man…
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
also, how was the knock count on 90 octane? because i know a stock evo calls for nothing less than 91 and the compression is 8.8:1 opposed to your 9:1
I'm not sure about the knock count, but I don't think it was an issue, I would have to check with the tuner and let you know.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have seen posts with similar 50 trim kits and they all seem in sync with each other power/torque wise.
Yes, but those 50-trims were on stock motors and stock ECUs...

Anyway, does that guy realize that he has to go fill up on gas at the gas station? That's more work than refilling the meth/alky tank once every 3 weeks or so in his own garage. It's just a ton of money to get so little power with later spool and a standalone ECU. It's too bad he didn't listen to you (with the meth) and too bad he DID listen in reference to getting an RNR kit. Just imagine if he had an AMS BB 50-trim with meth on the stock motor and stock ECU. Wow, it would be a monster for less...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

For 90 octane, even though it has stroker, I think its good numbers.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

- More torque
- Similar max whp
- 1000rpm earlier spool
- 0 credit card balance
- Higher reliability
- Less hassle

Nice!
Not everyone wants the risk and headaches associated with meth injection.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
For 90 octane, even though it has stroker, I think its good numbers.
Agreed. Spool looks a little slow regardless of octane though.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

numbers are good, but with 2.3L the 50trim should spool earlier.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
Not everyone wants the risk and headaches associated with meth injection.
Slight risk although the good kits have failsafes now to reduce/remove that risk, and there are no headaches associated with it. Are you saying that a full stroker motor and standalone ECU are less of a "headache" and have less risk than a simple meth injection kit? Surely not...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, but those 50-trims were on stock motors and stock ECUs...

Anyway, does that guy realize that he has to go fill up on gas at the gas station? That's more work than refilling the meth/alky tank once every 3 weeks or so in his own garage. It's just a ton of money to get so little power with later spool and a standalone ECU. It's too bad he didn't listen to you (with the meth) and too bad he DID listen in reference to getting an RNR kit. Just imagine if he had an AMS BB 50-trim with meth on the stock motor and stock ECU. Wow, it would be a monster for less...
Meth isn't that easy to comeby here, so it is kind of a hassle to source it locally as there's only 1 chemical company that imports and retails it to individuals in small amounts.

The guy loves his RnR kit with the 2.3L setup and the tune, it's much better #'s now, than what he was previously making on his higher boost stock turbo setup. IMHO the RnR kits work well for us, we're thrilled with them and have had no bad experiences with the kit ...the co. that's different LOL... and the results are pretty good. I'm not partial to any vendors kits or products, I know they all make power and I respect all of them out there AMS, Fullrace, Turbo Trix & Buschur...that's just me though.

Last edited by EvO6-RS2; Mar 20, 2007 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Dynoed - RnR BB 50 trim & Machines Gone Wild Tuning