Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

12.00 in the AMS EVO8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those numbers look good. Congrats on the time.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering if the new cams change the exhaust note at all. I know that the variable valve timing on the BMW M3 chang4es the sound of the exhaust drastically when the throttle is opened up. Just wanted to know if teh new cams make the car sound a little meaner in the higher RPMs. Also, someone has to know if the 272 and 264 cams are emissions legal. Someone has to know. I am sure that there are a few Eclipses running these cams, and I want to know id they are sniffer legal. Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 09:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AMS

I've seen that on our chicago 93octane pump gas you can really only push about 19psi of boost, after that the ECU gets hints of knock and starts pulling timing. Throw a few gallons of high octane gas and you're ready for higher boost. If I had e-manage on the car I could tune around knock on 93 octane by reducing timing in certain areas (top end). For most of my high HP runs or track runs I usually have about half a tank of gas and then I add a few gallons of 100 or 118 (whichever I have on hand). Remember, if there is no knock then there will be no benefit to running higher octane fuel, it will not give you more HP just because it's race gas. We basically made the 353whp run on the dyno, converted it back to AWD and took it ot the track in that tune. But to answer your question, yes, both dyno curves where done with a few gallons of high octane gas in the tank.
I think most of us are tired of "jet fuel" numbers... not knocking what you have done, but the Supras all the way down to the 11 sec street Hondas running around smelling like the deck of an aircraft carrier has grown old. What impresses the masses these days are cars not only making the power, but making it on pump pee! People seem to be massing around the term "pump gas" on all the forums now. Then again, it seems that the majority of the tuners are located in the worst pump gas state in the nation barring a few...
Old Jun 10, 2003, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, jet fuel has a really low octane number. It is basically diesel.

I don't care who is tired of seeing times with race gas. It doesn't matter how you get there, just that you get to the end of the track first.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX
I don't care who is tired of seeing times with race gas. It doesn't matter how you get there, just that you get to the end of the track first.
My thoughts exactly ! Anyone who is serious about owning a turbo car will make arrangements to get a supply of VP fuel to add to every tank so they can run the car to its real potential and not what the various state legislatures and gas companies decide is what kind of fuel they will supply you with

ESPECIALLY when it comes to drag racing . . . . anything goes - whoever gets down the lanes faster wins and thats the end of the story

Usually the people talking this pump gas nonsense are just jealous that they dont know how to safely tune thier cars

In the ole days - you had to open up the engine and put in big compression pistons - and the car could NOT run on anything but HIGH octane

At least - if I have to - all I need do is turn down my boost if I am traveling and have to use pump **** fuel - or load in a safe map to the emanage

There is one major tuner out there who don't tune for anything but pump fuel, won't use race fuel, dosn't ever drag race and sure wouldn't use any nos no way - - - well I wouldnt do business with anyone like that - it just dont make any sense to me

Its like being stubborn and saying - hell no I wont upgrade to fuel injection - I love carbs. Me personally, I want as much power as I can possibly get. Most of the serious WRX tunners like myself used C16 or performance unleaded and I predict that most if not all 11 second or b etter evos will do the same

I could also run my car on square tires - but i wont do that either
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ShapeGSX

Jet fuel or aviation fuel? AV gas comes in many octanes. People use 100 octane AV gas all the time in SCCA club racing. There is also higher octane AV gas.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Street car or race car? At the track you put your best foot forward. Only there can you hammer the car safely, test the limits and see where all the money has gone. Concerning race gas, Dave Buschur's thoughts are:

"I have always had a saying. "If it is at the race track it is a race car. May as well put race gas in it."

If you want to keep it together and get the MOST out of it, put race gas in the car and let it rip."

David

Speedlimit....
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

AMS: I meant no disrespect at all, I was just curious. I honestly don't care how you guys got the 12.00, I was just trying to distinguish the differences for myself. Next time I'll try a PM, sorry. (I didn't take your note offensive, I'm just saying in general..)

Are you guys happy with the numbers you've produced with the mods you added? I realize the clutch is holding you back, what appears to read, a great deal as far as better times, etc. I've just read others who've hit the 12.4 mark without the cams, and as you put it before, anyone who's anyone in the DSM world realizes the more (most) common cam setup was the 264/272's. Going with the more aggresive intake cam, did you notice much of a difference?

I appreciate your time in responding and thanks for the knowledge transfer in advance.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Additionally, I hope no one was making the "pump gas vs race gas" comments towards me. Personally, I dont care what he runs. When I see someone putting down such high numbers, I like to know how attainable it is with certain pieces left in tact, such as the ECU and using only the AFC as a tuning tool. Where-as, you see more often then not people with the 1G/2G's having to up the injector size, fuel pump size, etc., to make better use of certain situations.

Eh,.. just hope no one took my comments as being ill-mannered. Was absolutely not the intent.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Wow? Everyone check their pants, you'd think I'd said my dick was naturally bigger than everone elses then whipped it out... There was no flame intended ... I don't flame people while hiding behind a computer screen. I had to fly across three states to make that point to an *** on a Type R board.

My point was that more and more I'm hearing "ok, but what do you make on real gas". Keeping in mind that I no longer frequent the drag strip... the only use I have for the quarter mile is to gauge power. Yes, there are plenty drag racers here and that is all good. Average Joe Evo owner will make less than a dozen 1/4 passes in his life time. He will not want to have to search for race fuel in order to go about his daily business. Average Evo parts retailer will have less Dave the Evo drag racer orders at the end of every month than he will from the average Joe.(retailers tell me I'm wrong) However, Dave's success will sell parts. It's just that the tuning and some parts for Dave will not work as well for Joe. Get my drift?

Worked in aerospace right out of school (no, after props for those of you who know me) and am very aware of the contents of jet fuel. Matter of fact, many jet powered car teams can be seen pumping diesel right out of the transport rig in the pits... that statement was for the laymen.

it's a strip not a race track...

Last edited by Zeus; Jun 11, 2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

JP-5 baby!

How about F-76 (DFM)? It will burn in most turbines!
Old Jun 11, 2003, 02:12 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by sneakychaos
AMS: I meant no disrespect at all, I was just curious. I honestly don't care how you guys got the 12.00, I was just trying to distinguish the differences for myself. Next time I'll try a PM, sorry. (I didn't take your note offensive, I'm just saying in general..)

Are you guys happy with the numbers you've produced with the mods you added? I realize the clutch is holding you back, what appears to read, a great deal as far as better times, etc. I've just read others who've hit the 12.4 mark without the cams, and as you put it before, anyone who's anyone in the DSM world realizes the more (most) common cam setup was the 264/272's. Going with the more aggresive intake cam, did you notice much of a difference?

I appreciate your time in responding and thanks for the knowledge transfer in advance.
No offense taken at all I'm glad to answer any questions and I don't want anyone to be scared to ask. I only responded strongly towards someone once because they where rude to me for no reason. Can't we just all get along.. I respect all the vendors and members on here. We are all trying to reach a common goal with the EVO, and as a vendor I feel it's my responsibility to help educate customers and other car enthusiasts so they can make a better decision when it comes to modifying their car.
At the level we're at with the EVO there is very little power and spool difference between the cams. There is a differnce in idle charactersitics though. The 272/272 combo will make more power once you start increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine, which will be most dramatically affected by a turbo change (exh. backpressure and compressor mass-flow rate). Currently we are really maxing the turbo out and there are a few things that can be done to extract the last few HP. One of the things that will net some power is an intercooler and piping change. When doing my pressure drop tests I noticed that at higher RPM's the pressure drop was 2psi+. If we could reduce this pressure drop down by 1psi then we would get another 1psi of pressure into the intake manifold and hence more power (maybe another 10whp).
Old Jun 11, 2003, 03:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by BADWRX
JP-5 baby!

How about F-76 (DFM)? It will burn in most turbines!
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
There is one major tuner out there who don't tune for anything but pump fuel, won't use race fuel, dosn't ever drag race and sure wouldn't use any nos no way - - - well I wouldnt do business with anyone like that - it just dont make any sense to me
While you're wrong on all accounts, I think you're talking about us. And I'm not too dissappointed to hear that what we do doesn't make any sense to you

shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Jun 11, 2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Quickly edited

Quick Reply: 12.00 in the AMS EVO8