Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

missfire question and cylinder

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
missfire question and cylinder

ok if im looking at the engine which spark pug is cylinder 4? left or right.

next question how do i tell if my car is missfiring. im getting the check engine light.
( i think it maybe the tune i have doesnt like the -10 to 10 degree days)

i hear the occasional putter coming from my exhaust like "put put" ( i have the BR bullet exhaust.) is this missfiring or just the xhaust. ( i didnt have this issue till i put my BR exhaust on) (again the cold weather came in)

The car seems to still pull hard and no loss of performance but im getting the p0304 code.

can it be the cold weather? only seems to happen on the cold days when i clear the code. ( comes on when i start the car. it has never came on while driving the car)

im going to replace the spark plugs and get tuned for the exhaust (since the exhaust wasnt on the car at time of tunning and wasnt tuned for it.) and other mods that are about to be installed.

Will this new tune fix the problem? can the cold weather be a factor?

ive done research but im kind of lost if by changing the spark plugs dont fix it.
i have 6.1k miles on the car.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

From the owners manual . . .

The 4G63 (2.0L) engine is an in-line four-cylinder
engine. The cylinder numbers are assigned as 1-2-3-
4 from the front of the engine (timing belt side). This
engine’s firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2.

My '03 has occasionally had the same misfire you've described that is only when cold starting the car.

It is more noticeable since I'm running a Greddy catback however you can feel it as much as hear it when it does miss.

I am running an APS intake (with a tune) on my car and have been told that that might have some affect on how the car behaves on a cold start.

My car seems to only do it when the weather is starting to cool but has never thrown a CEL.

Good luck.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 96_LXR
From the owners manual . . .

The 4G63 (2.0L) engine is an in-line four-cylinder
engine. The cylinder numbers are assigned as 1-2-3-
4 from the front of the engine (timing belt side). This
engine’s firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2.

My '03 has occasionally had the same misfire you've described that is only when cold starting the car.

It is more noticeable since I'm running a Greddy catback however you can feel it as much as hear it when it does miss.

I am running an APS intake (with a tune) on my car and have been told that that might have some affect on how the car behaves on a cold start.

My car seems to only do it when the weather is starting to cool but has never thrown a CEL.

Good luck.

so number 4 would be on the far right then?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 06:22 AM

Yes but if it doesnt miss under a load it might not be the plug. You need to check your injectors. You need to have someone perform an injector balance test.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

anyone else?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Pull your plugs just to see if they are fouled. Are you running really high boost?