Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what motor to go with?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what motor to go with?

well looking into building bottom end...i got a iraq deployment at the end of the year so want to start getting ideas on motor builds...

AMS Built 2.0L
AMS 2.3L
Slowboy Racing 2.1L destroked
Slowboy Racing 2.4L

already running AMS 35R with supporting mods..car will be a drag/street set up.other things will be

JUN 272 or 280,springs retainers,AMS Race FMIC,AMS Race Head,AMS VSR intake manifold,and GT37R upgrade,exedy clutch,tranny and tcase build

gonna start saving now and then when i start making the big money with no bills in iraq,thats when ill start the build up..

i know about the 2.0L and 2.3L,now hows the 2.1 and 2.4?pros and cons?which motor will yeild me the most AWHP?im leaning towards the SBR 2.1L,looks like everyone is starting to like that setup..

also do i have to buy the pistons,rods,crank(2.1,2.3,2.4) etc..or does AMS and SBR come with a motor i can buy already fully built,balanced etc and ready for drop in?cus im in hawaii and its a ton to get work done here like that...

anyways let me know your thoughts on those set ups,thanks..

Justin
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go with whoever you want.... I would go with Buschur or AMS though.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

AMS 2.3 or AMS 2.1
Old Mar 21, 2007, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

I think the AMS 2.3 would be a good investment, with your setup should be good with the 2.3.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

well I'd suggest AMS 2.3 stroker but with the Oliver Rods. I spoke to AMS and they recommend Oliver coz it's only a $300 upgrade, but brings a lot more reliability into the equation.
If I were you, I'd also give a call to Miss Carmella at Jackson Auto Machine. Those people sure do know their stuff and they sell it all as a complete balanced assembly ready to drop in !!
You also mentioned Jun 272s and (omg) JUN 280s. Sorry bro, no 280s from Juns, but their 272s will be more cam than you'd ever need
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

For a street/drag set up, Definatly go with the AMS 2.3 I have an AMS 2.3/35r/revolver setup now and I have to say its perfect for me for the street/drag. The throttle response with the revolvers is really good, the stroker gives you more torque drivin around town as well as quicker spool and the 35r...nuff said. I really wish more people would FEEL driving a 2.3 35r car. It really is one of the best street/strip setups you can get. Definately a 2.3 vote here.

btw, steer clear of Slowboy...just had lots of bad luck with em in the past. Go with Companies that are well known for excellence, not just mediocre products. (AMS/Buschur)
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
the new ams rr motor would be an awesome choice.

ams builds great stuff.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

LetitBreath, you just shot SBR's plane down, lol.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

go w/ either Buschur or AMS...both great companies w/ awesome reputations. How often is occasional track time for you??? Once a month, 2 times a month, or every weekend? 2.3 strokers just dont do well w/ constant abuse from what Ive read...to much stress on the rods. There's a reason why both companies still use the 2.0 on their drag cars...

also do you plan on running meth or alky or straight pump all the time??? a lot variables would help out in the decision making process
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:25 PM
Account Disabled

Buschur needs to be on that list.....
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Do not buy slowboy you dont even want to know.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

damn i didnt even see that i put JUN 280s lol...my bad...

anyways when i do built motor i will most likely run meth on pump all the time...

track time for me is NEVER!hawaii shut down the only track on oahu(for now)probably when i come back from iraq there may be one)

want to run in the 700awhp range with a new 37R or possibly stay with 35R and run 630-650awhp....

anyone have the number to jackson auto machine?

thanks
Old Mar 23, 2007, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Buschur took care of this NCO!!

I'm about to go home in 11 weeks from my 545 day deployment.. I'm going Buschur all the way.. I think you should consider it too just because they will take you seriously even if your over here. Jarrod and David talked to me every other day to answer any question I had, no matter how technical or retarded it was, plus they gave me a price breakdown and recommendations along with everything else. Plus, it's not even funny how much money I am going to save!

Sucks to be going home and have no money or savings because it's all gone on your car... Good-luck out here in theater, be safe, and when you get home I'll race you! You better be running nines!
Old Mar 23, 2007, 09:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LetItBreath
For a street/drag set up, Definatly go with the AMS 2.3 I have an AMS 2.3/35r/revolver setup now and I have to say its perfect for me for the street/drag. The throttle response with the revolvers is really good, the stroker gives you more torque drivin around town as well as quicker spool and the 35r...nuff said. I really wish more people would FEEL driving a 2.3 35r car. It really is one of the best street/strip setups you can get. Definately a 2.3 vote here.

btw, steer clear of Slowboy...just had lots of bad luck with em in the past. Go with Companies that are well known for excellence, not just mediocre products. (AMS/Buschur)
AMS, BUSCHUR, SBR, JACKSON AUTO

All good people to buy a motor from.

What we have accomplished this year so far:

http://www.rally-america.com/event.S...esults_overall

This was the first race on the new car, we were very happy with 5th place overall the first time out. This race was run on an SBR 2.0L motor, Wiseco pistons, Manley H beam rods.

Cylinder head was a basic stage IV off the shelf SBR head, tuning done by myself and my GM, Jay Copenhaver with Autronic PNP.

http://www.flatovercrest.com/archive...aims_firs.html

http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/...2007Ordre1.htm

Second race of the season, first place - Rallye Perce Neige. Same 2.0l motor used in the first rally.

http://www.rally-america.com/event.1...esults_overall

100 Acre wood, third place - 26 seconds out of first place.

New motor for this event was the SBR 2.1l shortblock. Manley 162 mm rods, custom Wiseco 87 mm bore pistons, and a forged 88 mm crankshaft. This motor made over 400 ft/ lbs at the wheels through a 34 mm restrictor, and 300 WHP. This was the most HP we have seen out of any of the rally motors we have built. Also remember, this motor was designed to work well with the Mivec, and it does.

Even the 2.3l 10.25:1 motor we built last year for the EVO IV rally car made about 270 WHP, however the 2.3 did make 439 ft/lbs. Also remember, we run on 104 unleaded gas.

Next rally is http://www.oregontrailrally.com/

We are building a new motor to debut at Oregon Trail.

The specs are: (We tell you exatly what you are getting, no secrets here!)

Manley stock length I beam rods
Custom CP pistons, 10.5:1 compression, 87.5 mm bore
Billet BC 102 mm crank

Should be an awesome motor combination, looking for as close to 500 ft/ lbs.

Those of you who know rally fully understand that there is no other form of racing harder on parts. That is why we embraced rally, to show off our engine building talents, willingness to push the envelope, and try new things on a national level playing field.

To my knowledge, other than Jackson Auto, we are also the only shop to do 99% of our machine work in house. Since machine work was moved in house almost three years ago, we have built over 350 4G63's, and have shipped them all over the world.

Keep in mind, the EVO IX rally car was built 100% in house, other than the paint work!

Thank you,

Mike Huml
SBR Inc.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LilRico
I'm about to go home in 11 weeks from my 545 day deployment.. I'm going Buschur all the way.. I think you should consider it too just because they will take you seriously even if your over here. Jarrod and David talked to me every other day to answer any question I had, no matter how technical or retarded it was, plus they gave me a price breakdown and recommendations along with everything else. Plus, it's not even funny how much money I am going to save!

Sucks to be going home and have no money or savings because it's all gone on your car... Good-luck out here in theater, be safe, and when you get home I'll race you! You better be running nines!

yeah kinda sucks i got to go back..but hey oh well..got to do it...

anyways probably gonna go 2.1L either AMS built or SBR...then head,retainers springs,jun cams,ams intake mani,take out 35R and drop 37R...ams race fmic,tranny,tcase etc...

wont be for a while tho,definately take buschur,ams and sbr phone numbers with me over there...thanks for all your inputs

Quick Reply: what motor to go with?