Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin scroll/divided housing manifold.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Realistically speaking, you have two options:

(1) Remove and sell the ATP kit, getting whatever you can for it, and purchasing a twin-scroll GT35r kit (if you can find one).

(2) Keep the turbo, discard just about everything else, and have a kit fabricated by a competent, experienced, knowledgeable fabricator. This is what I did.
Ted B, around how much was it to have the kit you wanted in step 2? If you dont mind. Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackonblackevo
Hey it's Scorke with the suspension.
Hey its blackonblackevo with the atp kit..... I'm trying to help you out just like everybody else in the thread. You could of taken our advice before but now your just going to end up spending far too much money to achieve something you could of done by listening to us earlier.

Scorke
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I ended up having about as much invested had I bought a top-shelf GT35R kit and had it installed. My custom setup however was better in several ways than an off-the-shelf kit, so I was very pleased to go that route. The car usually must be present for the fabrication, so I wouldn't expect to see custom work offered as a kit. You should consider this in choosing from those two options.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scorke
Hey its blackonblackevo with the atp kit..... I'm trying to help you out just like everybody else in the thread. You could of taken our advice before but now your just going to end up spending far too much money to achieve something you could of done by listening to us earlier.

Scorke
Thats orginal.

When did i say i dont take advice?

Last edited by blackonblackevo; Mar 21, 2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can guarantee you that manifold will cost in excess of 1200 dollars. That guy does great work but does it all himself, and to get a skilled fabricator to build something for you it is not cheap.

You don't NEEED two wastegates for any turbo, however in order to do a twin scroll manifold right you need to separate the pulses between the divided runners, which can only be done with two wastegates. Look at how AMS does there 42R kits and you will see what I am talking about, running a setup like Drifto, which is who runs MPfab's (Walker's) divded t3 manifold is better than running a straight t3 manifold in terms of spool but will not be as good as a twin wastegated setup.

I suppose another way to do it would be to run the wastegate after the turbo like AMS does on there 35R 5 bolt kits but that would make for a tight fit.

Scorke
look at how he divides the gases at the wastegate port. 44mm wastegate should be enough on a 30r/35r turbo. The AMS is a 42R making a ton more power but they could also do the same and use a bigger wastegate. I remember seeing someone who had a T4 Topmount manifold with a 42r with a single wastegate as well.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Although he does a decent job it is still not perfect.

A 44mm gate is more than ebig enough for a 30R, wastegates size is not dictated by the size of the turbo, it is dictated by the amount of boost you don't want to run on a big turbo.

The less boost on the bigger the turbo the more wastegate you need, the smaller the turbo or the greater the boost the lesser the need for a large wastegate.

Scorke
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:38 PM
EvoM Guru

I can guarantee you that manifold will cost in excess of 1200 dollars. . . .in order to do a twin scroll manifold right you need to separate the pulses between the divided runners, which can only be done with two wastegates.
Constructing this type of manifold definitely isn't a casual affair (and neither is the cost), but consider the savings in not having to buy a second 44mm WG.

The logical choice is two WG, but this can be sidestepped with some clever engineering. It is a tricky proposition, but Walker (Drifto) has it nailed after some initial testing. There are no boost control issues that we've seen, and the performance is absolutely unparalleled. To this I can attest first-hand.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

If AMS could of made it with one wastegate I'm sure they would of as running two is hardly the cheaper route, two gates, two sets of flanges, two more things to leak...... they did it for a reason.

Scorke
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

How much of a gain over a regular T3 manifold did walker see with the divided housing/manifold? From what I remember he had good results but nothing out of the ordinary for any other T3 flanged 30R setup correct?

I think there is a lot to be had in perfecting a divided/twin scroll housing on any garret gt 30 or 35R just would love some cold hard proof

Scorke
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, for a 1000whp car, it (dual WG) can be assured of not presenting an issue, but if it truly would present an issue remains to be seen. Sometimes, taking the safe play is, well, safe . . . especially from a vendor's point of view.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although he does a decent job it is still not perfect.

A 44mm gate is more than ebig enough for a 30R, wastegates size is not dictated by the size of the turbo, it is dictated by the amount of boost you don't want to run on a big turbo.

The less boost on the bigger the turbo the more wastegate you need, the smaller the turbo or the greater the boost the lesser the need for a large wastegate.

Scorke
its not boost you need to think about it is exhaust gas... Less boost = less gases. a gt35r is capable of 30+psi and some cases 40psi but a 44mm gate should be more than enough to keep that balance.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:47 PM
EvoM Guru

How much of a gain over a regular T3 manifold did walker see with the divided housing/manifold?
Well, let's just say that peak power was quite strong, but it is the difference in driveability and transient response that is unbelievable.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ted can you shoot me a PM on exactly what you observed I am very curious.

Scorke
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Remind me tomorrow. I'm deliriously tired . . .
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

I would also like to have that PM
Ted can you shoot me a PM on exactly what you observed I am very curious.

Scorke