Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin scroll/divided housing manifold.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2007, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
I can guarantee you that manifold will cost in excess of 1200 dollars. That guy does great work but does it all himself, and to get a skilled
You don't NEEED two wastegates for any turbo, however in order to do a twin scroll manifold right you need to separate the pulses between the divided runners, which can only be done with two wastegates. Look at how AMS does there 42R kits and you will see what I am talking about, running a setup like Drifto, which is who runs MPfab's (Walker's) divded t3 manifold is better than running a straight t3 manifold in terms of spool but will not be as good as a twin wastegated setup. Scorke
I appreciate the chops, but how is 2 wg's better than one when the single on these particular manifolds is divided right up to the wg's valve? Most likely AMS is running 2 wg's to keep that 42R in check - maybe 2 is better in this specific case but one wg with divided runners has worked well up to a GT37R so far. I have tested this manifold without a divider and there is a very noticeable difference in spool without it so it definately has a purpose and as long as it's in there one wg works very well with a divided setup.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So lets say I buy a gt35r twin scroll kit, with the manifold divided with two wastgates, what else would I look for to now that it is a true twin scroll kit?
Thank you.

Also what would be the best possible configuration or design for spool up, in designing a gt35r twin scroll kit? Thank you.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much quicker would a twin scroll gt35r hit full boost then a regular t3 gt35r.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Ted B. A atp gt35r kit with a t3 .78 ar hotside, and dnp manifold will make my kit a complete twinscroll kit right?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
LOL at the ATP GT35R
Old Apr 21, 2007, 04:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by blackonblackevo
Ted B. A atp gt35r kit with a t3 .78 ar hotside, and dnp manifold will make my kit a complete twinscroll kit right?
No, because IIRC the DNP manifold fits a T4 hotside, not a T3.

Also, you need to understand that unless a different hotside and manifold places the turbo in exactly the same place, your exhaust, IC pipes, intake, etc., will not bolt up. Also, there is the problem of WG placement, because your downpipe won't work. Be advised, you won't be able to convert an ATP kit into something else without a cutting torch and custom fabrication. I know, I was there. . .
Old Apr 21, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ted B I always catch you when your not on here. But guys I have seen both Teds and Driftos cars, their setups are awesome.with the twin scroll designs. The DNP mani thats twin scroll is the T4, they offer a t3 but if im not mistaken its not a twin scroll. Ted wanna sell your setup? LOL j/k

Get the dnp man and make a few custom parts. Have fun and keep us updated.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Isn't a twin scroll just a restriction? I mean like on a stock turbo it may not be realized because the topend of the 16G is limited, but the topend of a GT35R is basically endless, so if you split up the exhaust flow and divert it, wouldn't you be hurting power and topend?

Time for some variable vain technology
Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:18 AM
EvoM Guru

No, because it's only directing the pulse energy, not diverting it. It's doing basically the same thing an efficient collector does on a set of 'headers'. It's 'pointing' the exhaust pulse directly at the turbine, which minimizes turbulence and maximizes the amount of pulse energy that gets translated into torque on the turbine wheel. This keeps the turbine wheel spinning faster in off-boost operation, which means less acceleration is required to generate boost. This translates into better off-boost response, quicker spool, and faster transient response.

It works.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
No, because it's only directing the pulse energy, not diverting it. It's doing basically the same thing an efficient collector does on a set of 'headers'. It's 'pointing' the exhaust pulse directly at the turbine, which minimizes turbulence and maximizes the amount of pulse energy that gets translated into torque on the turbine wheel. This keeps the turbine wheel spinning faster in off-boost operation, which means less acceleration is required to generate boost. This translates into better off-boost response, quicker spool, and faster transient response.

It works.

I'm sold, so which manifolds offered in todays well known turbo kits use this? AMS? Buschur? SBR? Anyone?
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:12 AM
EvoM Guru

I don't know who, if anyone offers a complete kit. I've only seen a couple of manifolds. It's too bad because it certainly resolves most of the driveability and lag woes associated with big turbos.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Shearer produces divided t4 manifolds, twin waste gated, it's the one i have purchased for my GT4094R project, actually in progress.....
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys I can't say I understand all of this... but I'm just wondering... twin scroll is not realy a new idea is it? Why wouldn't Garrett and the big tuners tried this idea a long time ago.

I just can't believe we're sitting here with the Evo 9 now, and only now figuring out a way to lose a significant amount of lag off bigger turbos with no top-end sacrifice.

Ted, what data have you collected to show that you aren't losing top-end? This seems a somewhat difficult thing to test because it seems to me you'd have to show this twin-scroll setup making 700+ hp like all the other big gt35r cars to prove it.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by giangi
Shearer produces divided t4 manifolds, twin waste gated.....
The Full-Race piece and the one I have use single WG, so that knocks several hundred $$ off the total pricetag.

Originally Posted by crcain
... Why wouldn't Garrett and the big tuners tried this idea a long time ago. ... Ted, what data have you collected to show that you aren't losing top-end? This seems a somewhat difficult thing to test because it seems to me you'd have to show this twin-scroll setup making 700+ hp like all the other big gt35r cars to prove it.
I don't think it's a new idea, but the use of such large turbos on street cars with small motors has evolved into a large market until relatively recently. With drag cars, it doesn't matter so much.

The data I've collected at this point is limited, but there is ample difference that is evident from behind the wheel. I'm putting together a platform that will support the capability of the setup, and will test it then.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
LOL at the ATP GT35R
Why is that funny?