Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turbo spools, ready 2 go, car aint..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2007, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo spools, ready 2 go, car aint..

Ok, got my self a small problem here, i think..

Car is:
05 rally red VIII, 15k miles, first owner, stock clutch (taking care/me no dragger mister), all the way HKS piping (stock headers), mr blowoff, hks intake+sparks, wbro fuelpomp, hydra tune. Prolly 330ish hp..

The problem is:
First 3 gears and 6k rpm no problem,
On 4th or in 5 when cruisin at, say 80-90mph and i step on it at 4k rpm(or any actually), i hear the turbo spoolin (thats first thing wierd, normally my bov do not make sound (mr stock steel one w/out noise) and now i hear a louder sound than a slight wistle not a whoos but a wiizzz), the exhaust note increases (seems like more than normal) and car accelerates slower than always (sloooower) and when it hits 5.k ish rpm it makes a small jolt and start speeding up. (the jolt is not that hard but its like i step slightly on clutch and it slips so lets gear go later than i release kinda jolt) however my clutch is fine (at least i think so) and it happens when im cruisin on 4th or 5 (steady speed, not changin gears) , i mean i am not near the clutch area when it happens.
If its something about clutch why its not doing it on first 3 gears, or when i heel toe.

Is it possible that the cause is turbo leaking (again, why not in first 3gears) or exhaust has a hole (explains the noise of exhaust, but turbo!, and effect on acceleration and jolt?) ??!??

Last edited by evo8drifter; Mar 25, 2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your clutch is starting to slip if you ask me.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:06 PM

yep definately your clutch!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 clutch... mine is over here doing the same thing

And to answer your question, there is more load on the clutch in the higher gears, just like the there is more load on the engine. The clutch will start to give way under higher loads before it gets bad enough to do it in all the gears.

In other words, STOP DOING THAT!!!

until you get it replaced

Last edited by Liqquid; Mar 25, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:22 PM

I had this happen to my 2001 Eclipse GT. It was my first manual car and I also taught my girl friend how to drive manual on it as well. I also did a lot of burn outs and I was not really that good at doing them yet. I had this happen though at 28-30K despite all the abuse that poor car took. Best of luck getting a new clutch in the car.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 06:26 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
do you have a boost gauge? Is the car building any boost? Could be a big exhaust leak in either your piping or a BOV. I have a Greddy type RS that gets stuck open from time to time and the car will build boost much slower than normal and make much less power.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a typical slipping clutch. You don't have to do drag launches for the clutch to go out.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

either your clutch is bad or you have a ton of engine knock.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:33 AM

Thanx for all your answers, even it is the one i didnt want to hear, clutch .
But come to think of it, clutch is cheaper than replacing turbo isnt, and aftermarket ones are better than stock i guess, at least it will make a differance, i mean if i had to change the turbo ill get the same car (if the same size) but a new clutch (depending on choice) might hold for longer, i hope.

Strangly enough couldnt find a pole in the forum about which is the best one to go, what do you recommend, stock or else? (Not planning on dragging anyway, and prolly gonna sell the car after 10k miles..)

Anyway, im going to service today, ill post what they find out.

@ scheides: yes i do, boost is rising normally in first gears, maybe slower on 4/5th, im not sure. (Peak is 18ish on the gauge, but drops to 14, tuner said its normal)

@ joeymia: Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by engine knock?

Nice cruisin to all of you guys
Old Mar 26, 2007, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt worry about the knock comment, if you were tunned that should have been all sorted out.
Im no expert on aftermarket clutches, considering im on my stocker still. but if you are going to be selling the evo in 10k miles, get the cheapest aftermarket clutch possible, assuming you are pushing stockish hp #'s.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

the engine noise he describes does not sound a clutch slipping. If the clutch is slipping it'll just rev out like normal. If the car is knocking the engine tone will change because of the timing being removed. It is just something else to consider.

Did you have someone tune your car?
What octane fuel do you pump into the car?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like another clutch problem
Old Mar 26, 2007, 07:42 AM

Back from service which tunned my car: (its been 3k miles by the way and car runs top notch since then, not an immediate effect i mean)

As of no suprise there was no sign of clutch slipping or slow accdeleration effects when i had me one of the tuners in the car (why you go see the doctor dog sick and before saying "hello" you become healty as a horse..)

He told me that "if that was clutch you surely feel it" (i'm stick driver for 15 years now, i bet i can feel it too), he asked me bout the fuel too (always 97 from same brand 2 different station since 2 years), and commented/concluded that it had a glitch (electronical) and skipped a beat (or three) under pressure .
I kinda believed him eventho it looked suspicious, cause that store is tuning rougly 90% of all evos and scoobies in the country..

However on the way home i sensed the same thing again but it is maybe psychologic (selective perception).

Anyway ill head to Mitsu service tomorrow, and let them check piping and wastegate for leakings. But they feel suspicious about everyting aftermarket so i can hardly believe what they say, unless there are really disturbing signs on pc or a hose missing or something.

Afterall, i hope it does not happen that often, always dowbnshift even when cruisin (not pedal to metal on 5th, but first downshift as i 99% of time do), and pass the summer without any problems..
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm. Well, I went and re read your first post, I still think it might be the clutch... mine is going bad, and I was unaware of it at first, I could hear a change in pitch of the exhaust, it would sound louder than normal,(car seemed to be accelerating a little slow) then all the sudden normal(car finishes the gear quickly) ... this was under hard acceleration. In this case it's positively the clutch... it's gotten worse now I've ordered my new one
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:47 PM

well if ur rpms dont jump i dont know how it cant be the clutch cause mine would jump but see what mitsu says

Quick Reply: Turbo spools, ready 2 go, car aint..