Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EGT placement, temps, and alky use ?'s.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2007, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm happy with how it's worked.. Shoot me a PM on a price for another shipped to 25313

Here is a pic of mine... damn camera wouldnt foucs on the sensor for some reason but you can get the idea...

I'm guessing it's bad.. so I'll probably cut the tip off and use it to plug the hole til a new one gets here.

Old Mar 31, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Probe placement should be on cylinder number 4 when spraying methanol. If you are not spraying methanol cylinder number 2 is best. Cylinder number two runs the leanest due to the intake manifold air distribution. Number 2 gets the most air. If your injectors are all spraying the same then cylinder number 2 will run the leanest due to it recieved proportionately more air. When you spray methanol cylinder number two becomes the richest. That abundance of air that goes to number two is now filled with methanol. So cylinder number two becomes the richest. With methanol cylinder number 4 becomes the leanest.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Apr 1, 2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by NIevo
One other thing is I notice people are running the wires under the valve cover. I heard this is a bad thing to do as the ignition wires can cause interference? Any thoughts on this?

There was a concern about this and Zietronix acknowledged that there could potentially be interference from the ignition wires, BUT I believe this belief has been shot down. The ignition wires are shielded and I believe the EGT wires are also shielded so there should be no interference. A buddy of mine tried it under the cover and outside of the cover with no difference at all. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Probe placement should be on cylinder number 4 when spraying methanol. If you are not spraying methanol cylinder number 2 is best. Cylinder number two runs the leanest due to the intake manifold air distribution. Number 2 gets the most air. If your injectors are all spraying the same then cylinder number 2 will run the leanest due to it recieved proportionately more air. When you spray methanol cylinder number two becomes the richest. That abundance of air that goes to number two is now filled with methanol. So cylinder number two beomes the richest. With methanol cylinder number 4 becomes the lean one.
Thats interesting to know.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Probe placement should be on cylinder number 4 when spraying methanol. If you are not spraying methanol cylinder number 2 is best. Cylinder number two runs the leanest due to the intake manifold air distribution. Number 2 gets the most air. If your injectors are all spraying the same then cylinder number 2 will run the leanest due to it recieved proportionately more air. When you spray methanol cylinder number two becomes the richest. That abundance of air that goes to number two is now filled with methanol. So cylinder number two becomes the richest. With methanol cylinder number 4 becomes the leanest.
I would like to here more peoples opinion on this as well. There are quite afew people running alky and I havent seen anyone tap #4 yet.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Just the probe and ss braided end is all that needs replacement.
Can the fast reacting Zeitronix EGT probe be used with any other brand of analog pyrometerrs? Is it just a 1/8" NPT, two wire probe? Or does it only interface with the Zeitronix unit? If it does work with other pyrometers, where can I purchase and how much?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 05:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I figured I would just recycle this thread. Does anyone have information on tapping for the probe from under the manifold vs on top? I'd like to tap the mani from underneath to make it a little less obtrusive in the engine bay. I figure that condensation may collect and thus ruin it but I figure I ask.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The general consensus is that the number 2 cylinder runs the hottest, followed very closely by number 1. Number 2 runs hottest due to intake manifold design and respective injector placement in the fuel rail.

Thermocouple placement should be as close to the exhaust port as possible because the hottest spot in the combustion process is the piston's dome surface, so you want get the probe as close to that as possible.

Actually, the exhaust manifold's collector is the absolute hottest point in the exhaust system, even hotter than the #1 & #2 runner locations. However the placement of the probe in the collector is not as useful as it is in an individual runner.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Above is worth repeating because it is correct. I rebuild many broke motors and it is obvious from pistons damage which cylinders are leading the way.

Also NEVER put probe in collector area. It way too hot there. EGT goes up 200c instantly in that location.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 04:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes but does it matter if you tap the mani from underneath? That is the questions why I bumped this thread.