Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

downforce games

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you need to look at the entire package of what we have done, the undertray, eliminating the two large vent holes in the fascia, the rear diffuser and for the black car the rear wing we added. While I agree with you that what we have done is not enough for someone trying to glue a road race car to the track it did make a HUGE improvement in traction and stability on our drag car and I feel it would make a noticeable improvement on a road race car.

I am of course not trying to do anything to increase drag on our drag cars as I want them as fast as they can be. However part of the reason we started this project was to also improve the control of our black drag car as it was all over the track the way it was before. Now the car is running dead straight.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i agree, that's what i was trying to point out. you put together a simple package that can service a large percentage of people who need solutions.

one thing to keep in mind: all downforce comes at the cost of drag. there is no way to redirect air without costing horsepower. redirecting air is the only way to make virtual weight, the only other way is to add real weight... that's worse.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by trinydex
one thing to keep in mind: all downforce comes at the cost of drag. there is no way to redirect air without costing horsepower. redirecting air is the only way to make virtual weight, the only other way is to add real weight... that's worse.
What you say is not always true when you look the whole picture. The vortex generators on the roof of the evo are a perfect example of reducing drag and increasing downforce on the whole car. Yes the VG's by themself create drag, but they address flow problems on other parts of the car that reduce the total drag.

And what the hell is virtual weight?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

vortex generators do not increase or create downforce. they also create some drag, the drag they reduce downstream is is what you're going after. the wing that creates downforce does create drag.

your statement is really unfounded. what you're suggesting is that you can get something for nothing... that is not the case. even if you were to reap down force benefits from a vortex generator solely from readhereing seperated flow on the tail end of the car the downforce device would be the entire car (in a wing shape, think lots of front caster) and that CERTAINLY makes drag.

virtual weight is weight that is not induced by mass. instead primarily from moving through a fluid with force producing devices such as wings.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A rear spoiler does not create downforce. A spoiler gets in the path of air that would come around the rear of the car and create upforce.
A car's rear spoiler in most cases behaves nothing like an airplane wing.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

vortex generators do not increase or create downforce. they also create some drag, the drag they reduce downstream is is what you're going after. the wing that creates downforce does create drag.
...isn't that exactly what i said?

your statement is really unfounded. what you're suggesting is that you can get something for nothing... that is not the case. even if you were to reap down force benefits from a vortex generator solely from readhereing seperated flow on the tail end of the car the downforce device would be the entire car (in a wing shape, think lots of front caster) and that CERTAINLY makes drag.
Unfounded? increasing the efficiency of a vehicles aerodynamics is an entire industry. What i suggested was that you can add parts to the car and realize an overall reduction in drag and an overall increase in downforce (in some cases at the same time). I think we all realize the primary purpose of the VG's is to reduce lift generated by the car's body, but in doing so it also reduces the drag associated with creating that lift. I'm not exactly sure what relation the front suspension geometry has with respect to drag.

virtual weight is weight that is not induced by mass. instead primarily from moving through a fluid with force producing devices such as wings.
lol
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This term is also known as Acceleration

Force = Mass * Acceleration

Edit: corrected from below because i am being dumb today.

Weight is a type of Force specifically the Force due to gravity.

The force from an airplane wing is known as lift. If lift > weight you fly.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Oct 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

This term is also known as Force.

Weight = Mass * Force
close.

weight = mass * acceleration (like gravity)

weight is just a force due to gravity acting on a mass.

man i'm still laughing when i read that statement.

Last edited by griceiv; Oct 8, 2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
What you say is not always true when you look the whole picture. The vortex generators on the roof of the evo are a perfect example of reducing drag and increasing downforce on the whole car. Yes the VG's by themself create drag, but they address flow problems on other parts of the car that reduce the total drag.

And what the hell is virtual weight?
THIS is what you originally said.

THERE IS NO MAKING DOWNFORCE WITHOUT CREATING DRAG PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD DAWT DAWT DAWT

i did not say you cannot REFINE your down force to minimize drag. i said that there is no way to create downforce that isn't already existing without creating drag.

alread existing downforce inhibted by lift... is not creating new downforce.

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 8, 2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TearItUpSports
This term is also known as Acceleration

Force = Mass * Acceleration

Edit: corrected from below because i am being dumb today.

Weight is a type of Force specifically the Force due to gravity.

The force from an airplane wing is known as lift. If lift > weight you fly.
wow you want to come into this thread and talk semantics???? what the **** would you have me call it then??????? virtual force?????? no... it's REAL FORCE. the fact is that it's ACTING LIKE WEIGHT CUZ YOU ENGINEERED IT TO DO SO... HENCE.... virtual.... weight. becuase the weight is not CAUSED by mass... jah?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

THIS is what you originally said.

THERE IS NO MAKING DOWNFORCE WITHOUT CREATING DRAG PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD PERIOD DAWT DAWT DAWT

i did not say you cannot REFINE your down force to minimize drag. i said that there is no way to create downforce that isn't already existing without creating drag.

alread existing downforce inhibted by lift... is not creating new downforce.
to elaborate on this peice of **** debate allow me to explain.

if you have a perfectly flat sheet of unbendable material which is also conveniently infinitely thin, and has no surface friction, sitting longitunidally and parallel to a perfectly unperturbed flow there is NO FORCE PRODUCED.

once you present some finite cross sectional area to the flow, there is a force produced.

Originally Posted by griceiv
I think we all realize the primary purpose of the VG's is to reduce lift generated by the car's body, but in doing so it also reduces the drag associated with creating that lift. I'm not exactly sure what relation the front suspension geometry has with respect to drag.

lol
if we all realize that the primary purpose of the vg is to reduce lift then we are all wrong. the primary objective of the vortex generator is to make the wing work better. the wing's primary purpose is to produce downforce and "reduce lift."

the vortex generator works PRIMARILY BECAUSE it reduces the drag around the car. it readhears flow to the back of the car, inadvertantly turning the flow downward, INCREASING the wing's exposure to flow.

vg with no wing equals slightly better aerodynamics... no downforce or little downforce. it's there for the wing... not to make downforce.

Last edited by trinydex; Oct 8, 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
if you have a perfectly flat sheet of unbendable material which is also conveniently infinitely thin, and has no surface friction, sitting longitunidally and parallel to a perfectly unperturbed flow there is NO FORCE PRODUCED.
Spoken exactly like someone who majored in physics
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

i know hahahahahaha
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

let me be real short and to the point here.

there is no way to redirect air without costing horsepower.
To which I responded,
What you say is not always true when you look the whole picture.
Translation. You can add parts to the car that will redirect the air and NOT cost you horsepower.

That's all. All this other crap you're going off about, while true, is completely unrelated to the point I was trying to make. So lets put this "chewbaca defense" to rest.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

PS. If you really have a physics degree and you're using the term "virtual weight" I need to find out what school you went to...cause damn

Last edited by griceiv; Oct 8, 2007 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: downforce games