Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

downforce games

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by talentsearch301
Hopefully my carbon fiber front splitter will be on for HIN Dulles... Im going to be running two sets of canards vice triple canards like the Cyber Evo

1 set of wing canards on the cabon fiber splitter and one set of oversized canards on the actual bumper
The Cyber EVO in every picture I've seen runs dual canards attached to the bumper cover. The latest version with the splitter that sticks out 4" also has a canard like feature built into the splitter. I guess you could call it a 3rd canard, but I just call it a part of the splitter. If you are talking about something else, please point me toward some pics as I'd love to see it. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the sheet metal approach is actually to keep the profile as unchanged as possible. i don't want to have a half inch piece of chin scraping on everything cuz my car is not track only.

but i figured out today that 1/16" sheet is good enough for a 2" splitter and plenty for an undertray. just need to do the thing where you fix the tray to the body of the car and tie the bumper up at the same time.

my tray will be quick serviceable... two tie points in the mid tray which will be attatched to brackets with a welded nut so it's accessible from the outside (top of bracket is fixed to the part of the frame that has holes in it). two rails that go to the front two tie bar points. possibly something to hold the lip of the splitter up. that's six fasteners or so total. don't know how beefy i wanna go yet... don't know if i wanna at more. we'll have to see

the splitter will have 1/16" L stock D shaped skeleton to hold up the splitter and the bumper. the aforementioned diffuser channels into the wheel wells and maybe some frilly stuff like kick outs on the sides.

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 18, 2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
The Cyber EVO in every picture I've seen runs dual canards attached to the bumper cover. The latest version with the splitter that sticks out 4" also has a canard like feature built into the splitter. I guess you could call it a 3rd canard, but I just call it a part of the splitter. If you are talking about something else, please point me toward some pics as I'd love to see it. . .

EVOlutionary
Yes the cyber evo runs dual canards on the bumper and then the splitter canard...

the splitter canard is what im talking about, its attached/ rivetted/ or screwed into the splitter. ( I have some close up pics at home)

Im at work on 24 hour duty... when I get off tomorrow morning... I will be rushing home to finish the car for HIN this weekend at Dulles.

Hopefully the splitter will be at my door, (Ive been trying to contact the Carbon Fiber fabricator for my tracking #)

As far as the lower canard that connects to the splitter... I have two sets of those... one for backup and can easily get more.

I wont be able take the time to take pics, until after this weekend of HIN...

If by chance my splitter is not delivered by tomorrow... I'll post pics later of the completed front end...

But I will post info with my completed project of all details.

If everyone likes the splitter I will list the company that fabricates them ( Im not giving them any props or business until they deliver my part)

Especially since I designed it, payed for them to fabricate it and I havent received mine yet... BUT I heard they are running one on their show car already...

Last edited by talentsearch301; Apr 18, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

you should have your tray made with the wheel well diffusers
Old Apr 20, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool thread, makes me kinda wish I had access to work on composites again
Good luck on your quest, what do you think about trying to make flat undertray in between the front and rear axles? It would be a pain in the *** b/c of all the thing protruding down there but it could be do able if you mount it to the underside of the car and make lower side skirts to attach to it.

Also are you running any numbers on your designs or using previously researched data?
Old Apr 21, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oneguy
..what do you think about trying to make flat undertray in between the front and rear axles? It would be a pain in the *** b/c of all the thing protruding down there but it could be do able if you mount it to the underside of the car and make lower side skirts to attach to it.
I have looked at doing this (no time though ), and I think that as long as you don't try to cover the driveshaft and exhaust, then it wouldn't be too hard to accomplish. There are mounting points that you can take advantage of, both for an undertray and side skirts.

l8r)
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didnt get my splitter for the show HIN Dulles

So no canards and splitter mounted pics yet

hopefully soon
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

What are some items that can reduce drag. I am not concerned about reducing lift as I mostly drag race but I wonder what I can do to reduce drag.

Would reducing drag even help if I only get up to 120mph in the 1/4 ?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

anyone have info on the ARC downforce meter? does it just measure the downforce on the rear wing or on the front as well? where do the sensors mount?? Sorry i just cant find any info on it, in english atleast haha.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
What are some items that can reduce drag. I am not concerned about reducing lift as I mostly drag race but I wonder what I can do to reduce drag.

Would reducing drag even help if I only get up to 120mph in the 1/4 ?
tape every seem in your car and crawl in through your window and then roll it up.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Tape is a cool idea but I was thinking more along the lines of more permanent changes.
Like smaller side view mirrors, would that do a lot?
What about splitters and diffusers, do those eliminate any drag?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

for drag racing you'd want to have sleekness everywehre you can
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I get the idea of sleekness, I'm just wondering if you could quantify the improvement of lets say taping all the seems or installed APR side view mirrors.

Also is a diffuser sleek? I don't know, it stops the parachuting of the rear bumper right?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

a flat smooth bottom has less drag then say the evo bottom, so yes, a diffuser can help reduce drag.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

For drag racing you would want:

- No rear spoiler
- no front splitter
- rear diffuser
- smooth underbody
- Vortex generator
- tape the seams if you must (IMO a lot of effort if you're not a pro)

I'm sure there's more you can do, but that'd be a good start.

l8r)

Quick Reply: downforce games