Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny Wont Come Off!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean unbolting the clutch pressure plate, not the flywheel.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultimate CC
by the starter, their is a black shield that you had to remove, their are 8 bolts holding the flywheel to clutch...unbolt them one at a time and if you need to turn the motor to get to the others use a inch drive socket wrench and turn the motor over (passanger side by the belts and pulleys...
I think what he means is unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel. You can get at the bolts by moving the release fork towards the driver side of the car.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

I always forget that the process is different with an Exedy Twin. Sorry.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Ok is it possible that the bolts to the flywheel from the pressure plate are reversed on aftermarket c&f? Cause they are inside the tranny on here and no way to get to them. I have had the tranny as far off as it would go and still couldnt come close to those pressure plate bolts.

I feel like carp cause this boy brought me his car to send the transmission and transfer to SHEP cause the last people that worked on it screwed alott up! There were only 4 bolts on the tranny when i went to take them out! One was sitting on top of the tranny but guess they didnt think it mattered enough to put it in and the other was just missing. The transfer case had 2 bolts hanging on by like 3 threads and was bout to fall out. ALL the bolts to everything was so tight i had to use a breaker bar with an extension to get them loose. I called him and told him what all was going on and now i think he's just goina come trailer the car to the place that messed up it in the 1st place. I know whats goina happen though.. there goina blame everything on me and deny they did any of the bad!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo@24psi
Ok is it possible that the bolts to the flywheel from the pressure plate are reversed on aftermarket c&f? Cause they are inside the tranny on here and no way to get to them. I have had the tranny as far off as it would go and still couldnt come close to those pressure plate bolts.

I feel like carp cause this boy brought me his car to send the transmission and transfer to SHEP cause the last people that worked on it screwed alott up! There were only 4 bolts on the tranny when i went to take them out! One was sitting on top of the tranny but guess they didnt think it mattered enough to put it in and the other was just missing. The transfer case had 2 bolts hanging on by like 3 threads and was bout to fall out. ALL the bolts to everything was so tight i had to use a breaker bar with an extension to get them loose. I called him and told him what all was going on and now i think he's just goina come trailer the car to the place that messed up it in the 1st place. I know whats goina happen though.. there goina blame everything on me and deny they did any of the bad!
You can't move the release fork enough to get a ratchet/socket in there to remove them? That's what I had to do....
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Nope as far as i can get it over and wont come close. I have no clue what kinda flywheel or clutch is in this car.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:56 AM
Account Disabled

yea sorry i meant that you unbolt the pressure plate from the flywheel
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i used a 1/2" screw driver, wedded it there and turn 90 degree but it still didn't pop out. then i used a 3/4" chisel, wedded it in and turn 90 degree and it popped out.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:20 PM

The chisel sounds like it should work. How big is the screw driver that you are using now???
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty damn big screw driver! Ive used bout 4 of them and kept getting bigger and bigger. I just put the tranny completely bolted back on, rotated the motor, and still wont come off! Beyond pissed and taking a break now.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:29 PM

Maybe the guys that did the previous job on it re-used, or screwed up the TOB??? Yes, it can be a pain, but there is no reason why it shouldn't come off.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Did you try to release the TOB before all the bell housing bolts were removed?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

I used two large pry bars at the same time. Work tham both at once and it pop off the coller.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Did you try to release the TOB before all the bell housing bolts were removed?
Yup! Then took it off and tried again, again, etc.
I was thinking the same thing bout the last people that did the work. Ive never had a problem with them before. Popped right off but not this one. Thankx for the responses though guys!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Be persistant. It will come off! I can feel it!

Quick Reply: Tranny Wont Come Off!!